Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we ever have a completely gas free car?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-05-07, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the Toyota Prius alot. This got me thinking...as a HUGE enviornmental supporter...I am curious to know....has there ever been a car that was produced that ran soely on say, Ethanol or Solar? If not, when do you think we might see a company produce such a vehicle? I am tired of not being given this option...I am tired of the greedy oil companies. I want a car(like the Prius) but completely NON GASOLINED BASED!
Old 04-05-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think there is a production model, but there are several makers of "custom" vehicles.

At this time the cost is so much more than traditional vehicles, I don't think they will have an impact for a long time.
Old 04-05-07, 08:39 PM

Yeah dude. It's been going on for a while now, especially in Brazil. Ethanol only cars. They produce their ethanol from sugar. All of their gas stations by law have to have ethanol as well as gasoline. The cars there are built to be able to run on both. They're drastically reduced their dependency on foreign oil by doing this.
Old 04-05-07, 08:40 PM
Banned

I know they can make them right now....its just the damn greedy oil companies keep buying the prototypes up, and having us taken 2 steps back every time we try to step forward. I'm sick and tired of this. Yes, the Prius is great....but I know we can easily do better than this. Its pretty sad we have the means to blow up this whole world right now, but not to create something that benefits man. Sad!
Old 04-05-07, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leest3
Yeah dude. It's been going on for a while now, especially in Brazil. They produce their ethanol from sugar. All of their gas stations by law have to have ethanol as well as gasoline. The cars there are built to be able to run on both. They're drastically reduced their dependency on foreign oil by doing this.

YES!!!! I remember reading about this. What about the oil compnaies? Didn't they try and fillibuster, so the laws wouldn't be passed? I think "An Inconvinent Truth" touched on this a bit. Why can't we have that here? I don't get it. I love my country, but we seriously are behind the rest of the world when it comes to this.

The oil companies could make money by investing in Etahnol, and still keep their precious 20,000,000 lifestyle. Not only it would add new jobs, and help our economy and enviornment significantly. Its a win-win-win. Not to mention we wouldn't have to depend on foreign oil, which would probably reduce tensions with the Middle east. Why the hell can I figure this out, but dumbass Bush can't.

Last edited by Dalvin; 04-05-07 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 08:45 PM

Hey, if you want to stick it to those "damn greedy oil companies," just stop driving your "damn" car! You can walk, ride a bike... swim, if you got a river nearby.

What? Stuff you want and need to do too far away? Well, move to where things are more convenient and closer. Don't set yourself up to have to drive everywhere to do anything, and then complain about it.

Oh, also don't forget to give up any products or possessions you have that are produced with or by oil.
Old 04-05-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah dude. It's been going on for a while now, especially in Brazil. Ethanol only cars. They produce their ethanol from sugar. All of their gas stations by law have to have ethanol as well as gasoline. The cars there are built to be able to run on both. They're drastically reduced their dependency on foreign oil by doing this.
Actually they drastically reduced their dependency on foreign oil by drilling off their coast. Carry on.

btw you want a non gasoline powered car? Get a diesel, make best buds with all the fast food franchisees in your area and make bio-diesel.
Old 04-05-07, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Oh, also don't forget to give up any products or possessions you have that are produced with or by oil.
Ahh, there is the catch. I wonder what percentage of vehicles is oil based? Upholstery, seat padding, knobs, dash, anything plastic...
Old 04-05-07, 08:50 PM
Banned

You know what....I would give all that crap up if meant we actually could have a more enviornmentally concious society.

By the way, what are the speeds that the Ethaol based cars in Brazil get(top speeds) and how many miles til they need to reethanol(on average)
Old 04-05-07, 08:51 PM

^^ Look for stuff in your home, too, not just in your car.

And wasn't there just a report out that the Prius isn't as environmentally friendly as many would like to believe, when you consider what goes into producing it? Rather ironic.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 04-05-07 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Actually they drastically reduced their dependency on foreign oil by drilling off their coast. Carry on.

btw you want a non gasoline powered car? Get a diesel, make best buds with all the fast food franchisees in your area and make bio-diesel.
By drilling off their own coast, they didn't drastically reduce their dependency on foreign oil. They totally eliminated it.
Old 04-05-07, 08:55 PM

By drilling off their own coast, they didn't drastically reduce their dependency on foreign oil. They totally eliminated it.
Makes ya wonder what the US could do if we just drilled where our oil is...
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dalvin
You know what....I would give all that crap up if meant we actually could have a more enviornmentally concious society.

By the way, what are the speeds that the Ethaol based cars in Brazil get(top speeds) and how many miles til they need to reethanol(on average)
If saving the environment is the top priority, then 55 mph is all the speed you need.

I read in another forum that the mpg of their vehicle dropped by around 3-5 miles per gallon. My FIL swears that their van got better mileage on ethanol. I don't know what official numbers are.

I saw this on some discovery channel show. I don't remember if the mileage was better or not, I think it was somewhat the same, but I do remember it being a lot cheaper than gasoline.
Old 04-05-07, 09:01 PM
Banned

Like I said...we will probably never be able to End our dependance on Foreign Oil, but certainly we can reduce it. I for one, would love to see Toyota(who seems to be pushing the "green car") try and start producing one. Maybe if we can get an enviornmentally concious President, we can get some stricter enviornmental laws passed.

Hell...why stop there...have every ethanol based new car that you producd... come with tires that won't go bald. This will significantly help reduce our landfiles as well.
Old 04-05-07, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Makes ya wonder what the US could do if we just drilled where our oil is...
The companies that profit off of foreign oil trade would never let that happen.
Old 04-05-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
The last I heard, it took more fossil fuel energy to create a gallon of ethanol than the energy produced by a gallon of gasoline.

It's like plug-in electric cars. You're just moving the fossil fuel consumption a few miles away.
Old 04-05-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Indeed, Brazil had "all ethanol" cars. They had extremely small separate gasoline tanks, like 1 gallon, for starting in cold weather. E100 really doesn't start well when the temp is below 50 F (considered "cold" in Brazil. After a couple minutes they switch to ethanol.

In the US, E85 cars are available, they start fine. However, the cars are all "flex fuel" and run on any mixture from straight gas to E85. The big problem is that E85 is pretty hard to find. ALso ethanol (or E85) gets lower mileage because 1 gallon of ethanol has less thermal energy (BTUs) than gasoline, which in turn has less than diesel fuel. They should really be compared on an equal energy basis, not equal volume.

A lot of fleet vehicles (especially taxi cabs, airport shuttle vans) were sold with natural gas engines, tanks, etc. The fleets would have to have their own natural gas refueling station. To my knowledge there are no public refueling stations for natural gas vehicles.
Old 04-05-07, 09:11 PM
Banned

True.. they never would. So how come they were able to do so in Brazil. I knoe we could drill off our coast. Let's do it damnit.
Old 04-05-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ,companies that profit off of foreign oil trade fucking greenies would never let that happen.
fixed

*note: This post was fixed while still in Otter
Old 04-05-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Dalvin, are you driving a green car?

If you are, you're reducing our dependence on foreign oil. If everyone commuted in 60 mpg cars instead of V-8 trucks, it would be a huge savings in oil consumption, enough to drive down the domestic price.

But I notice that even with the recent doubling of gas prices, people aren't rushing to sell their gas-hogs the way people did in the early 80s. $3/gallon isn't sufficiently painful.
Old 04-05-07, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The last I heard, it took more fossil fuel energy to create a gallon of ethanol than the energy produced by a gallon of gasoline.

It's like plug-in electric cars. You're just moving the fossil fuel consumption a few miles away.
Hey, as long as you don't see it, it doesn't matter, right?

An electric car is good... as long as you don't see where the coal is burned to make the electricity.

It's kinda like the same idea with abortion... oops.
Old 04-05-07, 09:15 PM

Maybe if we can get an enviornmentally concious President, we can get some stricter enviornmental laws passed.
I think ethanol would be great for us. The only problem is producing it. We would use corn, but I have no idea how much corn would be needed to be able to produce enough ethanol to satisfy the US population. Processing the ethanol is a lot more enviroment friendly than refining oil for gasoline. But why do that when companies like Exxon are making how many billions last quarter?
Old 04-05-07, 09:16 PM

Like I said...we will probably never be able to End our dependance on Foreign Oil, but certainly we can reduce it. I for one, would love to see Toyota(who seems to be pushing the "green car") try and start producing one. Maybe if we can get an enviornmentally concious President, we can get some stricter enviornmental laws passed.

Hell...why stop there...have every ethanol based new car that you producd... come with tires that won't go bald. This will significantly help reduce our landfiles as well.
Anyone see an irony in wanting to end our dependence on foreign oil by increasing our dependence in a foreign car manufacturer???
Old 04-05-07, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Hey Dalvin, are you driving a green car?

If you are, you're reducing our dependence on foreign oil. If everyone commuted in 60 mpg cars instead of V-8 trucks, it would be a huge savings in oil consumption, enough to drive down the domestic price.

But I notice that even with the recent doubling of gas prices, people aren't rushing to sell their gas-hogs the way people did in the early 80s. $3/gallon isn't sufficiently painful.
I blame all the people driving those needlessly immense SUVs. Over time, I think that's an impact that has added up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.