Reload this Page >

Kitchen Cabinet Refacing?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-05-07, 08:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our future home is in need of a new kitchen, but we dont want to go thru all the work/aggravation/mess/dust that a entirely new kitchen would entale.

We're thinking of refacing the cabinets instead of doing a complete overhaul.

The original cabinets are white laminate and they look cheap and some of them are a bit worn out in spots.

I've heard that refacing is very expensive and that I'd be better off with completely new cabinets, but again, I dont want to go thru all the stress involved with such a big job.

Anyone go this route, and is it worth it?

Last edited by vegasbaby; 04-05-07 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well resurfacing is not as expensive as new cabinets but it is close.

We have a small galley type kitchen. We got an estimate to repaint the faces and doors from a local handy man who had done it many a time. It was nearly $5000. New mid range cabinets from Home Depot were $9,000 installed (including removal of the old cabs). Now my house was built in the 70's and these were the original cabs. So I passed. I figured why spend $5000 to paint and still have old crappy cabs.

You can get an estimate and compare. But honestly, I'd probably rip out....
Old 04-05-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get an estimate from a professional cabinet maker. My uncle had his whole kitchen customized by a local pro for about $1000 more than ones from HD or Lowes. The guy came in, measured, figured out what my uncle wanted and 6 months later installed them. 6 months is a hefty wait time but sometimes if you want something nice you have to wait I guess. I went to see them and I was astonished at the detail. I'm not saying premade cabinets from HD aren't nice but these were on a different level.
Old 04-05-07, 10:42 PM

Just to clarify ... we dont want to paint the cabinets. We want to change cabinet DOORS and whatever else entails refacing.
Old 04-06-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.williamsburgplumbinginc.com/index.htm

check out this place. for cabinets they came out a lot cheaper than Home Depot and it may be better to buy rather than resurface. Only thing to watch out for is that Kraftmaid plays the same games as Sealy where they change the model between the stores so you can't price match. Same thing though.

wife and I got a bunch of cabinet quotes a few years ago and this place Home Depot by like $1000 or more.
Old 04-06-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've done both - refaced and replaced. In my first home, kitchen was small, didn't want to spend a ton, etc... Of course, I had the big guys come out to give estimates on refacing: Sears, Century 21, etc... they were all very expensive ($3,000 or more). But then I had some smaller folks come out (that I found in the phone book or newspaper - or maybe even those coupon books you get in the mail). Anyway - they were much cheaper - I think I got mine done for about $1,500.

A contractor who was working on some other stuff in my house said he could have replaced the cabinets for $3,000 - $4,000 - but since I was operating on a budget, the refacing worked out fine. Basically, they replaced all the doors and hardware and painted the rest (mine were an ugly wood color and I made them white).

I recently replaced cabinets in my present home - I think the total for the cabinets was around $6,000 (from Home Depot) without installation. They look great. I had thought about refacing again but am very glad I just replaced them this time.

So - in my experience, a cheap refacing place can do them for about half of what full replacement would cost. If you're operating on a tight budget, I think it's a fine alternative. If you can spend the extra bucks, I would replace.
Old 04-06-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sears is horribly expensive up here in Canada for any kind of work. They're usually twice as much as everybody else. On the other hand, they never subcontract out their work (at least where I am) so I guess that's part of the reason.
Old 04-06-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Refacing is ok if you love the layout of your kitchen and don't want to change a thing except the color of your cabinets.

Back in the day - when Cabinet refacing was all the rage (I know because my Stepfather ran his own refacing company) there was no such thing as the "Big Box" stores. Local hardware stores were still the norm.

Now that you have Home Depot and Lowes and 0% no payments no intrest for 12 months and 10% off coupons there is no reason not to replace.
Old 04-07-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Just to clarify ... we dont want to paint the cabinets. We want to change cabinet DOORS and whatever else entails refacing.
Well you will have choices, but generally when you "reface" you do "something" with the doors and the faces. The faces are the parts of cabinets you see around the doors or depending on style of cabinets you may not see anything but door when the doors are closed. However, when refacing you generally still do somthing with those areas.
Old 04-08-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I did a comparison, the refacing was so close to the cost of new cabinets that it wasn't worth it. New cabinets have many new features worth the extra money.
Old 04-10-07, 04:54 PM

I just had my kitchen done 3 weeks ago. After getting many quotes from large and small companies, the difference between refacing and new cabinets was nominal. Remember to find out what they are offering, for example wood(exp), thermal foil(seemed to be very common), or laminate.

The avg savings was around 1500-2000. I decided to go the all new route and redesigned with wood cabinets. Now I have a new look, crown molding, bottom lips, corner cabinets elevated, fridge enclosed, etc.
Old 04-11-07, 12:08 AM

I realize the nominal cost difference between refacing and getting new cabinets, but the thought of tearing out the cabinets & creating a big dusty mess is very unappealing to me.

Thats why I'm leaning toward refacing.
Old 04-11-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had my kitchen redone and it is a pain in the ass - you loose your sink for a couple of days etc... but it does increase the value of your home (providing you don't put in Stainless / granite into a small house / apartment in a bad location)

the choice is yours. Good luck
Old 04-11-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i had my kitchen and bathroom completely gutted out and everything except the bathtub replaced. completely worth the mess. and a good contractor will put up plastic to keep the dust to a minimum. took 3 weeks to do my bathroom. wife and i lived at her grandmother's and parent's houses for that time.
Old 05-31-07, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i had my kitchen and bathroom completely gutted out and everything except the bathtub replaced. completely worth the mess. and a good contractor will put up plastic to keep the dust to a minimum. took 3 weeks to do my bathroom. wife and i lived at her grandmother's and parent's houses for that time.
Al:

Did Williamsburg Plumbing Inc. do your kitchen ?

Also, what did it cost you?

~~~~

Anyone know of an affordable kitchen cabinet place in the New York area?

This would be for NEW cabinets (not refacing).

Last edited by vegasbaby; 05-31-07 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-31-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the contractor for my kitchen and bath lives a few blocks from you. used to be my mom's neighbor. if you pm or email me i can send you his name and phone number. he's fully licensed, bonded, etc.

i think it was less than $5000 labor for my kitchen. including demolition. it was over 2 years ago. if you need plumbing and electrical work he knows unlicensed people. if you want licensed you will probably need to find someone yourself. i can give you a ref as well.

he demo'd the kitchen, threw everything away, put in new floor tiles, kitchen cabinets and i forgot what else. home depot did the countertop. we went silestone. i think they also did the sink and i believe his unlicensed plumber did the connections to the pipes for the sink.

bought cabinets from williamsburgh plumbing
glass for cabinets from a place in astoria
sink on ebay
and faucets on homeclick or something like that. they sell on ebay and also have their own website