Eritrea bans female genital mutilation

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-05-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa...eref=rss_world

ASMARA, Eritrea (Reuters) -- Eritrea has banned female circumcision, a life-threatening tradition that aid groups say is inflicted upon about 90 percent of the country's women.

A government statement issued on Thursday said anyone who requested, took part in or promoted the practice now faces a fine of several hundred dollars or up to 10 years in jail.

"Female circumcision is a procedure that seriously endangers the health of women, causes them considerable pain and suffering besides threatening their lives," the statement said.

"Whosoever requests, incites or promotes female circumcision ... shall be [punished] with a fine and imprisonment."

The ban took effect on March 31, it said.

Female circumcision, also called female genital mutilation (FGM), is widespread in the Horn of Africa and involves cutting off the clitoris and other parts of the female genitalia, sometimes all of it.

There are degrees of severity and many practitioners are untrained and use crude instruments.

"FGM is a deep-rooted culture and it needs a persistent continuous effort (to halt it)," Luul Ghebreab, president of National Union of Eritrean Women, told Reuters.

"We do not believe [this ban] will automatically eradicate circumcision, but surely it will play a role."

Up to 140 million women and girls worldwide are estimated to have undergone female circumcision, and U.N. agencies estimate that another three million a year are subjected to it.

A health survey by Eritrea's government in 2002 found 62 percent of circumcised women in the Red Sea state had the procedure done before their first birthday. Less than one percent had been performed by trained health professionals.

The procedure is severely painful and dangerous -- girls are mutilated with crude, unsanitary instruments and without anesthesia -- it can cause painful urination; shock, hermorrhage and difficulty giving birth; can often block menstrual blood, causing infection and death; takes away feeling and makes intercourse painful.

Edit to add space between my comment and the article.
About fucking time. I can't believe they were still doing this! Hopefully this is a sign that women of the world will stop being treated as property and start being treated like a human.

Last edited by Kittydreamer; 04-05-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank goodness. Female circumcision is a brutally backwards practice and is nothing more than the manifestation of extreme sexism anyway.
Old 04-05-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that this disgusting practice needs to be banned the world over, but I still think the last paragraph of that news article reads as extremely biased and unprofessional.
Old 04-05-07, 08:47 PM

Eritrea? WTF is that?

Oh, some speck in Africa.

Let me know when the routine mutilation of men ends. In a place that matters.
Old 04-05-07, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dork
I agree that this disgusting practice needs to be banned the world over, but I still think the last paragraph of that news article reads as extremely biased and unprofessional.
You talking about this graph...

The procedure is severely painful and dangerous -- girls are mutilated with crude, unsanitary instruments and without anesthesia -- it can cause painful urination; shock, hermorrhage and difficulty giving birth; can often block menstrual blood, causing infection and death; takes away feeling and makes intercourse painful.
...or the poster's un-separated commentary?
Old 04-05-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Better?
Old 04-05-07, 08:56 PM

Without the space, I truly hoped that person would be able to tell where the story ended and your comments started. To think what you said was part of the story...
Old 04-05-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree. I completely gave up on print media several years ago due to the lack of profanities, smilies and thumbs up or down icons.
Old 04-05-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was only a matter of time before CNN.com stopped pretending to be unbiased and started inserting s and s into their articles.

Maybe when Hillary wins the '08 election they will add a .
Old 04-05-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Let me know when the routine mutilation of men ends. In a place that matters.
Old 04-05-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, back on track....ending this nasty thing is awesome. I left both of my boys intact as I personally feel that cutting away at a baby's genitals is kinda icky and not needed. (Yes, I know Jesus was circumcized. )
Old 04-05-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JustinS
Maybe when Hillary wins the '08 election they will add a .
Looks like she already has:

Old 04-05-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great. First Senegal, then Eritrea. What's next, Yemen? Djibouti? When are we going to be free from the tyranny of the left-wing, pro-clitoral propaganda machine???
Old 04-05-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
So, back on track....ending this nasty thing is awesome. I left both of my boys intact as I personally feel that cutting away at a baby's genitals is kinda icky and not needed. (Yes, I know Jesus was circumcized. )
You'd make a bad Jew
Old 04-05-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meanwhile, closer to home ...

NYC Eyes Circumcision Push to Fight AIDS

April 5, 2007, 11:14 AM EDT

NEW YORK -- City health officials are considering a program to urge circumcision for men at high risk of AIDS, noting studies that the procedure can reduce the chances of getting the disease.

The city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has sought feedback from gay rights groups and community organizations, and it approached the agency that runs city hospitals and health clinics about possibly offering the procedure for free to men without health insurance, The New York Times reported in Thursday editions.

Health department spokeswoman Sara Markt confirmed Thursday that the agency was in discussions "with the community about the possibility of increasing access to the service and educating the public about the risks and benefits of circumcision."

U.N. health agencies last week recommended circumcision for heterosexual men after three studies in Africa found that the procedure reduced men's chances of contracting HIV by up to 60 percent.

Calling New York City "the epicenter of the AIDS epidemic" in the United States, Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden suggested circumcision could hold preventative promise here, despite differences between the two at-risk populations.

The studies conducted in Uganda, Kenya and South Africa involved men who said they had sex with women. In New York, those at highest risk are men who have sex with men, men who inject drugs and their sexual partners, according to The Times.

About 65 percent of all male babies in the United States are circumcised, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Worldwide, about 30 percent of men are, the World Health Organization estimates.

In New York, black, Hispanic and foreign-born men are less likely to be circumcised than white Americans, Frieden said.

Local AIDS activists had mixed feelings about the circumcision idea. Some doubted that encouraging circumcisions would significantly decrease infection rates, while others suggested the issue needs a study specific to New York.

"Should we proceed when we don't have hard data yet on the population here?" asked Peter Staley, a longtime AIDS activist and co-founder of ACT-UP New York. "On the other hand, if we wait the three years it would take to answer that question, how many will be infected in the meantime?"

The local hospital agency, the Health and Hospitals Corporation, has not reached a decision on offering free procedures, a spokeswoman said.
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/a...news-headlines
Old 04-05-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NYC Eyes Circumcision Push to Fight AIDS

April 5, 2007, 11:14 AM EDT

NEW YORK -- City health officials are considering a program to urge circumcision for men at high risk of AIDS, noting studies that the procedure can reduce the chances of getting the disease.

The city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has sought feedback from gay rights groups and community organizations, and it approached the agency that runs city hospitals and health clinics about possibly offering the procedure for free to men without health insurance, The New York Times reported in Thursday editions.

Health department spokeswoman Sara Markt confirmed Thursday that the agency was in discussions "with the community about the possibility of increasing access to the service and educating the public about the risks and benefits of circumcision."

U.N. health agencies last week recommended circumcision for heterosexual men after three studies in Africa found that the procedure reduced men's chances of contracting HIV by up to 60 percent.

Calling New York City "the epicenter of the AIDS epidemic" in the United States, Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden suggested circumcision could hold preventative promise here, despite differences between the two at-risk populations.

The studies conducted in Uganda, Kenya and South Africa involved men who said they had sex with women. In New York, those at highest risk are men who have sex with men, men who inject drugs and their sexual partners, according to The Times.

About 65 percent of all male babies in the United States are circumcised, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. Worldwide, about 30 percent of men are, the World Health Organization estimates.

In New York, black, Hispanic and foreign-born men are less likely to be circumcised than white Americans, Frieden said.

Local AIDS activists had mixed feelings about the circumcision idea. Some doubted that encouraging circumcisions would significantly decrease infection rates, while others suggested the issue needs a study specific to New York.

"Should we proceed when we don't have hard data yet on the population here?" asked Peter Staley, a longtime AIDS activist and co-founder of ACT-UP New York. "On the other hand, if we wait the three years it would take to answer that question, how many will be infected in the meantime?"

The local hospital agency, the Health and Hospitals Corporation, has not reached a decision on offering free procedures, a spokeswoman said.

What's taking so long? They need to decide one way or the other. Shit or get off the pot, motherfuckers.
Old 04-05-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought the AIDS/circumcision link was a myth. Guess not.
Old 04-06-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I guess NYC giving out 5 million free condoms in one month isn't enough?
Old 04-06-07, 09:26 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked dork's article better.
Old 04-06-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I always thought the AIDS/circumcision link was a myth. Guess not.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8473838/

When I found out we were having a boy, I did a bunch of research -- and there's a lot of misinformation out there to wade through. For me, the central issue was health: there simply wasn't evidence that circumcision represented any real danger to the health of my kids, provided I went with a competent doctor who used local anesthetic. But there were multiple studies that at least suggested that uncircumcized males had an increased risk for penile cancer, AIDS, STDs, etc. It may have been a very minor increase, but still -- I didn't see any real negatives to circumcision.

Still, I think each person should do the research, and make up their own mind.
Old 04-06-07, 10:37 AM

I would think the odds of avoiding AIDS are higher if you do not engage in high risk activities like anal sex with men and IV drug use than by mutilation.

Face it - most circumcisions I'm sure are done as a matter of routine, and not for any conscious reason. And some parents want their baby to "look like daddy," as if they're going to stand around and compare their penises.

And doing it for superstitious religious reasons - puh-leeze. Don't get me started.

I remember hearing a lot of the problems uncircumcised children experience is through a lack of basic hygiene.

A bad circumcision can ruin a man's future sex life. And a circumcised man is never going to understand what they're missing if they had been left intact. Think about what the foreskin is, what it does, all those nerves.

Why mutilation of women is an abhorrent crime while mutilation of men is common practice is a horrible double standard. Seems to me some are just trying to come up with excuses to justify it.

I say, leave the penis the way nature intended.