Reload this Page >

How not to break into Richard Garriott's house

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-05-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travis County sheriff's officers issued arrest warrants Wednesday for nine people charged with breaking into Austin game developer Richard Garriott's property in February.

Nine men and women ages 18 to 22 were looking for a place to party when they broke into several buildings on Garriott's Southwest Travis County property, according to the warrants. They hauled away $5,000 in liquor, said sheriff's Detective Don Rios.

If not for the digital camera they left behind, they might not have been identified.

The camera, found by Garriott, held photos of the group posing inside his buildings, Rios said.

The department issued arrest warrants on charges of criminal trespass for Amy Adams, 19; Christopher Erich Ambrosius, 20; Jamie Marie Anderson, 18; Jeffery Steven Figge, 22; Ryan Keith Hess, 20; and Abraham Cazares, 21.

Travis Lynn Foxell, 20; Steven Andrew Silva, 20; and Scott Berner, 21; were charged with burglary of a building.

None of the nine was in custody Wednesday afternoon. One other suspect has not been identified, Rios said.

The suspects were friends, and several had attended Stony Point High School in Round Rock, Rios said.

According to Rios and the arrest warrants, about 12:30 a.m. Feb. 1, the group parked three cars near the Pennybacker Bridge on Loop 360 (Capital of Texas Highway). They followed trails on a hillside, crawled under a fence and walked two miles to Garriott's property in the 7400 block of Coldwater Canyon Drive. The 70-acre property has a two-mile metal fence around it.

Foxell told Berner that he had previously broken into a building on the property, an arrest warrant said. Foxell showed Berner some coins and tavern pipes he had taken from the building, according to the warrant.

The group called Garriott's property Midgetville because of several small buildings on it, warrants said. Several resemble playhouses, including a fake jail and treehouses with rope bridges, Rios said.

Once the suspects entered Garriott's property, some of them broke the exterior locks on two buildings to get inside, the warrant said.

They also broke into a bar, the warrants said. The group piled an ice chest so high with expensive Scotch, port and several kinds of wines that the top wouldn't close, Rios said.

They left behind several empty beer cans on a trail, the arrest warrant said.

A few days later, Adams and Foxell went back to get Adams' camera, Rios said. When they got to Garriott's property, however, they found photos of themselves posted on the buildings, he said. Garriott had printed photos from the camera in an attempt to identify the burglars, Rios said.

Investigators took the pictures to several high schools in western Travis County, posted them on the Web and gave them to area homeowners associations.

Garriott wanted to offer a reward, but investigators decided to release the pictures to the media March 16, said Roger Wade, a spokesman for the department.

Five days later, Adams walked into a sheriff's office with her attorney and identified herself and other people involved, according to an arrest warrant.

Garriott had taken appropriate security measures, including posting no-trespassing signs, placing ropes across trails and putting curtains on the windows of the bar so no one could see the alcohol inside, Wade said.

"If someone is determined to get into your property, they will get in," Wade said. "The only thing you can do is make them work at it and take up precious time."

Old 04-05-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
If not for the digital camera they left behind, they might not have been identified.

The camera, found by Garriott, held photos of the group posing inside his buildings, Rios said.
Old 04-05-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Egad! They've robbed Lord British! Someone tell Iolo!
Old 04-05-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a link on the site with the pictures.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...5garriott.html

I think you may have to register to view it.
Old 04-05-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you may have to register to view it.
No need to register.
Old 04-05-07, 12:21 PM

Here's security camera footage of Garriott confronting the intruders:

Old 04-05-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few days later, Adams and Foxell went back to get Adams' camera, Rios said. When they got to Garriott's property, however, they found photos of themselves posted on the buildings, he said.
I think this is the definition of an "oh, shit" moment.
Old 04-05-07, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Here's security camera footage of Garriott confronting the intruders, the arrest warrant said:

fixed, the arrest warrant said!
Old 04-05-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is what I found funny!!!

Garriott had taken appropriate security measures, including posting no-trespassing signs, placing ropes across trails and putting curtains on the windows of the bar so no one could see the alcohol inside, Wade said.
Yeah, a "no-trespassing sign" is just about as good as a security measure as gun control laws! That's about as useful as the "no soliciting" signs up at my condo complex. Or the "do not call lists". Or a letter from the UN.
Old 04-05-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-05-07, 01:30 PM

Garriott is still alive? I thought Rainz PK'd him back in '97 or so.
Old 04-05-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Austin's most wanted? These kids look more likely to shoplift biscotti. Well, the metro guy, anyway.
Old 04-05-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I am pretty sure the girl who left the camera behind is going to be out of the cool club now. Surprisingly, several of them do have records, and for more than shoplifting at Abercrombie.
Old 04-05-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nine men and women ages 18 to 22 were looking for a place to party when they broke into several buildings on Garriott's Southwest Travis County property
THOU HAST LOST AN EIGHTH!
Old 04-05-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
This is what I found funny!!!

Yeah, a "no-trespassing sign" is just about as good as a security measure as gun control laws! That's about as useful as the "no soliciting" signs up at my condo complex. Or the "do not call lists". Or a letter from the UN.
It reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Bart falls down a well, with Homer telling Bart "Don't worry, son. They're going to make sure no one ever falls down this well again." Cut to Groundskeeper Willy posting a small sign that says "Caution: Well."
Old 04-05-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone needs to photoshop one of these preppy gangstas onto Lootie with a bin full of Scotch.
Old 04-05-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerory
Someone needs to photoshop one of these preppy gangstas onto Lootie with a bin full of Scotch.
Nah, photoshop with cool daddy in background.
Old 04-05-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How'd they get past the dragon?

Old 04-05-07, 06:16 PM

LOL, idiots, leaving the camera behind? They deserved to get caught. I hope this teaches them a lesson. Next time cover your tracks better.
Old 04-05-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Manor

Wow!!! I always wondered what happened to him.

Last edited by ernestrp; 04-05-07 at 06:52 PM.