Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So my company was purchased by someone else today. What now?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-04-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12/22/10 update.....for those that miss the dates

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4559965&EDATE=

Obviously the new management had nothing bad to say except we're moving forward and things won't be any different. They did change our vacation schedule for the greater. We actually earn more days (starting today actually).

My question is for anyone that's been through this. What are the signs to look for if they decide to make drastic changes. At our year end meeting our CFO said we profited more than our next closest three competitors combined. So we obviously make money and what we build is highly specialized. It's also considered the cadillac of the industry.

So anyone been through this?

Last edited by kantonburg; 12-22-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-04-07, 06:29 PM

Well, first thought is, look for any duplication or overlapping. In time, they're gonna do away with that by eliminating something. Whether or not it's you... ?
Old 04-04-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shooting spree. I can't believe you even have to ask.
Old 04-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get your resume in order.....
Old 04-04-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depends on what you do. If you are in research or some other design function I would say you are in a good spot.

If you are in administration where there could be overlap then I would keep my eyes and ears open.
Old 04-04-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

look to see what happens in your department. if a person from the other company takes over, then it may be time to start looking.

it really depends on what you do. if you are IT, HR or anything similar than only one of the departments will survive. if you work in a revenue center than it depends on how much money you bring in or what you do

my company was bought out a few years back and most of the other company was laid off because we had the infrastructure they wanted
Old 04-04-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Depends on what you do. If you are in research or some other design function I would say you are in a good spot.

If you are in administration where there could be overlap then I would keep my eyes and ears open.
my thoughts. it never hurts to get your resume ready.
Old 04-04-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your company employs 200 people, is that correct? How big is the buyer....?
Old 04-04-07, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4559965&EDATE=

Obviously the new management had nothing bad to say except we're moving forward and things won't be any different. They did change our vacation schedule for the greater. We actually earn more days (starting today actually).

My question is for anyone that's been through this. What are the signs to look for if they decide to make drastic changes. At our year end meeting our CFO said we profited more than our next closest three competitors combined. So we obviously make money and what we build is highly specialized. It's also considered the cadillac of the industry.

So anyone been through this?
Yeah, I went through this. The company was bought out by a big corporation.

In the beginning they said we do not have to worry about our jobs...we were the reason the company was so successful.

Then a few months later the first person got fired (salary cut). They assured us that would be the only one. Then next quarter another person lost their job...again they reassured us that would be it.

When I got fired it was because of salary cut. I made it through the first two years and about 8 firings. They told me one day that I had a bright future with the company, there would always be a place there for me, they asked 'what do we have to keep you here after you graduate from college? We have big plans for you." That was on a Thursday. The following Monday I got the axe. It's a good thing I didn't believe them and already had begun looking for work.

So my advice...look out for numero uno and have a resume ready.

They cut the staff in half by the time I got fired in our county offices...all due to salary cuts. They made money, just not enough (apparently). The biggest problem was the office manager made over $200k a year. And only actually worked about 30mins a week, if that. And on top of that he is a dick and idiot. He once asked me what the difference between a paid and past due invoice was.

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 04-04-07 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When my company was bought, about 6 years ago, changes were slow to come and mostly involved middle-management and IT. We had to slowly migrate to how the rest of the company did things. Nothing drastic at first but consolidation helped with their ROI. But the fact that we did something unique helped us to stay around... albeit leaner/meaner.
Old 04-04-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

one time i was reading some IT rag and apparently HP was still migrating people to their network from Compaq's network last year. I think they said they were doing like 3000 people a week

where i work they axe people all at once. they will lay off all the people in one day and give the rest packages to make them stay 1-6 months to transfer their knowledge
Old 04-04-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

The position I'm in was a consolidation of 3 previous positions. That and I'm the only person in the whole company that does what I do. I know everyone says that but I really am. I handle engineering changes for the company and am the setup guy for our fabrication department.

on a side note why do I never receive notification of replys from DVDTalk anymore?
Old 04-04-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
my thoughts. it never hurts to get your resume ready.
I made phonecalls to everyone I know (business wise) and friends to keep their eyes and ears open. My resume is always ready.
Old 04-04-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Your company employs 200 people, is that correct? How big is the buyer....?
Manufacturing and sales are carried out via
the Group's own companies in 30 countries. The Group has around 3,600
employees and net sales of SEK 5,712 million. Munters is listed on OMX
Nordic Exchange. For more information see http://www.munters.com
Old 04-04-07, 08:33 PM

My mom's company was also bought out a while back. They kept the plant people but fired all the office people. They then re-interviewed some of the office people and some people got their jobs back at lower pay and less benefits. The other positions were not filled b/c things were taken care of in the corporate office.
Old 04-04-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This happened at another company that I worked for. First they said there was nothing to worry about, that all jobs were secure. About six months down the road they sent interviewers in and we each had to sit down with them and fill them in as to what our position was and what our job entailed. Another month or so and the first lay-offs began.
Old 04-04-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The standard company line will always be that there's nothing to worry about, no changes (for the first week *cough*), yada yada. After (initially) surviving a few of these I realized that that that's their way of trying to stop people from bailing before the company can axe 'em themselves. It's false security until they can decide who to lay off. Good luck.
Old 04-04-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could be going through what I have been going through for the last 2.5 years -- we bought a company, and now that company is (nearly) running us!
Old 04-05-07, 09:46 AM

Don't worry until they bring in the consultants.........

Old 04-05-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep your eyes and ears open. You could be anywhere from SOL and looking for a job to being promoted and getting a raise. It is hard to say what will happen and I have seen both.
Old 04-05-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kantonburg
The position I'm in was a consolidation of 3 previous positions. That and I'm the only person in the whole company that does what I do. I know everyone says that but I really am. I handle engineering changes for the company and am the setup guy for our fabrication department.
Not trying to discourage you, but EVERYONE is replaceable. Well, 99.9% are anyway.

So what exactly would happen at your company if you were hit by a bus? If the company grinds to a halt, then they are really terrible businessmen.
Old 04-05-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My entire department was let go exactly six months (to the day) after the company was acquired by a larger competitor. Enjoy the ride.
Old 04-05-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just involved in the audit of a public company that was being purchased by a private company. The only people who were safe was a subsidiary that was actually profitable. The rest of the company, payroll, billing, management were all in the process of being let go. However they seemed to know this in the beginning and you could tell by how lax they were in getting us the documentation we needed to perform the audit.

They pretty much just bought the company for their customer list which included some Fortune 500 companies.
Old 04-05-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Not trying to discourage you, but EVERYONE is replaceable. Well, 99.9% are anyway.

So what exactly would happen at your company if you were hit by a bus? If the company grinds to a halt, then they are really terrible businessmen.
Oh I understand that. Thats funny you made the bus comment. They joke about that here. But yeah if I were hit by a bus thats pretty much it. I tell them to bring someone in but hey it's not my worry.

edit: There were at one time 5 people doing part of my job and one person doing the final setup and another handling engineering changes. Through software advances and the elimination of one shift (although we still run 20 hours a day) it's down to just me. I stay busy. It's not a VERY specialized position but it's technical. There is a lot of cost involved in what I do. Roughly 5 million a year and I'm responsible to keep that cost down as much as possible. I understand how our machinery works and most importantly can recognize what will or won't cause extra cost. That just takes time to learn.

Last edited by kantonburg; 04-05-07 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-05-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm going through it right now.

lots of things still up in the air. we're about 2 weeks from the beginning of the transition.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.