Reload this Page >

Anyone use thegrocerygame.com?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-03-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my wife joined www.thegrocerygame.com recently. I'm not exactly sure how everything works, but somehow they do the time consuming task of matching up current store specials with coupons that have come out in the past or are current. They then classify everything as a great buy (stock up on these), good buy (buy if you need it), or not a good deal.

I was skeptical at first, but she has been showing me alot of her receipts lately and she has been saving crazy amounts (50-80%) of $ at the grocery store and pharmacy. A couple of times she has gone to CVS and gotten 30+ dollars worth of stuff for less than $2. On top of that, she gets $5 vouchers to use the next time she is in CVS. So in effect she gets all that stuff and they pay us 2 or 3 bucks.

Of course you have to take the time to clip and store the coupons for future use and be careful to buy things that would normally use, not buy them just because they are a good buy.

Any else tried this? What do you think?
Old 04-03-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much did your wife spend to get the lists, or is it a free forum....?
Old 04-03-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the idea is pretty good if someone has the time and patience for it, but it's not really practical for me. I don't buy produce and perishables in bulk for later use. Instead, I tend to pick up what sounds good for dinner on the way home from work, thus satisfying my OCD that it's "more fresh".....

Old 04-03-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
I think the idea is pretty good if someone has the time and patience for it, but it's not really practical for me. I don't buy produce and perishables in bulk for later use. Instead, I tend to pick up what sounds good for dinner on the way home from work, thus satisfying my OCD that it's "more fresh".....

Yeah, it takes some time, especially at first. My wife likes hunting for bargains and she has fun trying to find the best deal. The stuff we buy in bulk is never perishables. It's always stuff that will last a while or we can freeze. For example, she was able to get Cheerios last week for something like 50 cents a box for the big box so she bought a few. Of course you also have to have the room to store it. Also a few weeks ago we got a couple of slabs of beef for 2 or 3 bucks apiece and sticker price was over $12 apiece. We just freeze until we want to use them. Like I said, I was skeptical at first, but it is working great and we are saving a ton of $. The cost is based on how many stores you choose. I think we pay $10 a month for 3 different stores. I think the first month is only $1 and you can get unlimited stores.

There are a couple of free sites that are similar but she has checked them out and say they pale in comparison. $10 isn't a big deal for us considering how much $ we are keeping.
Old 04-03-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much did your wife spend to get the lists, or is it a free forum....?
What I'm wondering as well...

= J
Old 04-03-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would expect her to save well over the $120.00 yearly membership fees, so if she's having fun with it - start making space for the deals. My mom got into coupon use when I was very young and I remember her saving crazy amounts on groceries - it seemed like she got quite a sense of accomplishment out of it and boosted her self esteem.

win/win.....
Old 04-03-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i tried this as well a while back.

it is $5.00 a month for the "list" of each grocery store. which isnt a bad deal at all.

but the catch is- you have to a coupon maniac to make this thing work. YOu have to constantly hunt, sort, cut, and use coupons. and also, you have to buy whats on "the list" or it wont save you that much.

The list is an automated computerized list of the absolute rock bottom price of a certain stores item(s). and it rotates, so some things are on it one month, and then not again for 6 months or so - so when you see you buy like 50 of them and stock up.

This just isnt for me, it was way too much hassle and work. I like to go to the store and buy exactly what i need, when i need it.

The grocery game would be invaluable though if you are providing for a family. you could save thousands
Old 04-03-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-???
Old 04-03-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skiblet
-???

huh....?
Old 04-03-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The coupon sorting isn't really much of a hassle for my wife, but it may be for some. We just buy the Sunday paper and use the ones that come in the mail. It probably takes her an hour or so a week and she does it while we are watching TV, so it really doesn't waste any time that she is not already wasting watching TV. For her it isn't a burden as she enjoys doing it, but it would probably get old for someone who wasn't really into putting the time into it.

If I had to guess I would say that we have probably saved around $300 a month in the couple of months we have been using them.
Old 04-03-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the way you make it work (for those considering it), is you get a coupon for an item, thats allready discounted on the "list", and then if you can go on a double coupon day at a store, sometimes - they actually have to give the item to you. For free. LOL.

In fact, i think some stores like CVS they have it rigged in some way that the store even owes you money or points or something after you buy something on the list, its crazy.

You can go read about how these nuts do it in the forum over there, they are all about it-
Old 04-03-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
If I had to guess I would say that we have probably saved around $300 a month in the couple of months we have been using them.

you should put that in your IRA
Old 04-03-07, 02:32 PM
Banned

huh....?
wha...?
Old 04-03-07, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
So my wife joined www.thegrocerygame.com recently. I'm not exactly sure how everything works, but somehow they do the time consuming task of matching up current store specials with coupons that have come out in the past or are current. They then classify everything as a great buy (stock up on these), good buy (buy if you need it), or not a good deal.

I was skeptical at first, but she has been showing me alot of her receipts lately and she has been saving crazy amounts (50-80%) of $ at the grocery store and pharmacy. A couple of times she has gone to CVS and gotten 30+ dollars worth of stuff for less than $2. On top of that, she gets $5 vouchers to use the next time she is in CVS. So in effect she gets all that stuff and they pay us 2 or 3 bucks.

Of course you have to take the time to clip and store the coupons for future use and be careful to buy things that would normally use, not buy them just because they are a good buy.

Any else tried this? What do you think?
I am going to do the 4 week for a $1.. My wife loves coupons / deals.. What is your email addy so I can give you the referral?
Old 04-03-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I am going to do the 4 week for a $1.. My wife loves coupons / deals.. What is your email addy so I can give you the referral?
Ditto. My wife will be all about this and I might as well give you a referral, cdollaz.
Old 04-03-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tbird, I sent you an e-mail.

Pinata, send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll give you my wife's e-mail address. I do not want to post it on here.

Thanks for being willing to do that. I wasn't even aware of referrals.
Old 04-03-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My sister discovered this in Orange County, CA last year; her friend sold her on the idea. That friend had saved over $2000 the prior year with a family of four. Not bad. Not bad at all.

As a single guy moving to SoCal in May, I will probably do it, too. Who knows when I'll need 5 backups of Old Spice?
Old 04-03-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You should save your money, invest in a koi pond.
Old 04-03-07, 08:49 PM

Ha, my mom has been doing this for as long as I've been alive. All by herself without the help of a website. One time I went shopping for her and she gave me the list and a bunch of coupons. A 72 dollar bill went down to 28 dollars.
Old 04-04-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife used to do this when we lived in the city, only she used a diffrent service called coupon sense. We spent about $2/week on the service, and got 6 sunday papers delivered for $4/week. We saved at least $300/month doing it. There were many times we walked out of the grocery store with full carts and paid less than $10. It does take alot of organization getting the coupons ready and lots of time going to multiple stores, but if you dont mind that, its worth it.