Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall - Any Advise?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall - Any Advise?

Old 04-03-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall - Any Advice?

So I'm thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall I wanted to see if anyone here had put one in and if so what are some words of advice.

I'm going to have someone come in and do it. They seem to know what they are doing - they are the ones that put all the ponds in at a local Japanese Steak House - and that has been there for years.

I was thinking about putting in a 3' waterfall, a little stream that runs into the pond - I think a 8x6'. The guy still has to send me the final estimate but I think it should be between 3,500 - 4,000. I figured I would get more enjoyment at looking at this than getting a spa.

How much have others here spent?
What are things that I make sure he installs?
What are must have items (other than fish)?

Last edited by CPA-ESQ.; 04-03-07 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
So I'm thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall I wanted to see if anyone here had put one in and if so what are some words of advise.

I'm going to have someone come in and do it. They seem to know what they are doing - they are the ones that put all the ponds in at a local Japanese Steak House - and that has been there for years.

I was thinking about putting in a 3' waterfall, a little stream that runs into the pond - I think a 8x6'. The guy still has to send me the final estimate but I think it should be between 3,500 - 4,000. I figured I would get more enjoyment at looking at this than getting a spa.

How much have others here spent?
What are things that I make sure he installs?
What are must have items (other than fish)?
Watch the Karate Kid Part 1, all of your questions will be answered there.
If I ever buy a house, I would want to put in a Koi pond as well. It would be more relaxing to me than a spa. If you go the the Brooklyn Botanical Gardends, they a nice Japanese garden set up, maybe it could give you ideas on how to decorate. I would also plant some sakura trees. No Koi pond would be complete without them.
Old 04-03-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll want to invest in some netting to cover the pond if you have cats, racoons or opossums in your neck of the woods.
Old 04-03-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
You'll want to invest in some netting to cover the pond if you have cats, racoons or opossums in your neck of the woods.
What for? Without the netting, he could make Roadkill Stew right there in the back yard.
Old 04-03-07, 12:04 PM

i was thinking of doing this as well, but on my own. i have electricity near the location which i guess is a plus.

i do have a dog that roams freely in the yard, do I need to worry about this?

we do have a neighborhood possum that comes by every so often. i havent seen him as much now that the yard is fenced in and the dog is out there frequently.

koi are expensive though. and in the winter when the pond freezes, the koi just hibernate i think. is this correct?
Old 04-03-07, 12:18 PM

I imagine there's horrendous amount of maintenance involved unless you want your pond to look like the bottom of an outhouse.
Old 04-03-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I'm thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall I wanted to see if anyone here had put one in and if so what are some words of advice.
Words of advice: Don't do it.
Old 04-03-07, 12:31 PM

The guy said that they come in the fall and clean out the filter and put a net on the pond etc for $110 and then do the same thing in the spring. He said that you don't need to skim the pond or put chemicals in it - if a branch falls in pull it out, but nothing more than that. (but this is just what he says)

The koi he said are anywhere from $4 - 400, he said they were like dogs you could go to the pound and get them for free or pay hundreds for a pure breed with a certian color. Overall he said they cost $30
Old 04-03-07, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Words of advice: Don't do it.
do tell.
Old 04-03-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
koi are expensive though. and in the winter when the pond freezes, the koi just hibernate i think. is this correct?
Yes, they go dormant. You aren't supposed to feed them if it gets too hot or too cold.
Old 04-03-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

do tell.
It is a bit of work to keep it clean and can potentially be a money pit. The filters and pumps have to be cleaned regularly and, depending on the amount of sunlight that hits, that still might not be enough to keep the algae out.

If you do put one in, I'd recommend you a) keep it fairly small and b) put it in the shade.
Old 04-03-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just put one in. i did a little 60 gallon, with a waterfall. i havent got all the plants and everything going, but its nice so far. im just starting on this hobby so i have no idea how bad the upkeep maintenance is going to be but i know it wont be anywhere near as bad as keeping a reef tank, so im set. A salt water fish tank is endless black hole of a money pit. So far ive got my entire pond, pumps, filters, wiring, rock and accessories for only about 250, so not too bad.
Old 04-03-07, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
If you do put one in, I'd recommend you a) keep it fairly small and b) put it in the shade.
Thanks. It is going to be near some huge pine trees - so most of the debree will be pinecones, some tigs and a handfull of pine needles.

How Small is "Fairly Small"? is 8' fairly small?
Old 04-03-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by skiblet
i just put one in. i did a little 60 gallon, with a waterfall. i havent got all the plants and everything going, but its nice so far. im just starting on this hobby so i have no idea how bad the upkeep maintenance is going to be but i know it wont be anywhere near as bad as keeping a reef tank, so im set. A salt water fish tank is endless black hole of a money pit. So far ive got my entire pond, pumps, filters, wiring, rock and accessories for only about 250, so not too bad.
60G koi pond? That seems pretty small. I just finished up my 60g saltwater tank - and I'm already wishing I stepped it up to a larger one!
Old 04-03-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How Small is "Fairly Small"?
Ask your wife
Old 04-03-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think 8' is rather large.

My father has one that was installed by his step-son and it always seems to have algae. i know he cleans the filter regularly, but I don't really know how sunny it is (I think it is pretty sunny).

He keeps his fish in there year-round w/o any problems, and he hasn't had any problems with vermin in there either.
Old 04-03-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by djbrown
Ask your wife
Old 04-03-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. It is going to be near some huge pine trees - so most of the debree will be pinecones, some tigs and a handfull of pine needles.

As an avid aquarium hobbyist and koi pond enthusiast, you might want to reconsider that location. Pine trees are notoriously acidic, the needles that drop could cause the PH in your water to become increasingly acidic over a short period of time. You can counter this with PH buffers, but that may affect certain plant varieties you mat wish to consider using to decorate with and it can be expensive. The extra detritus may also have adverse affects to your chosen method of filtration causing filters to foul more quickly and harboring anaerobic bacteria ultimately increasing algae growth which is a whole other problem in and of itself.

Just my two cents…..
Old 04-03-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When we bought out house, one of the things that we liked was the small waterfall and koi pond. There were two koi (one male and one female) and over the past five years, they have both died (of some ick disease from the toads that would visit).

I haven't the time right now, but I'll come back and write a lengthier post about the pros and cons.
Old 04-03-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How Small is "Fairly Small"? is 8' fairly small?
Think in terms of gallons rather than diameter. You're supposed to pump at least half of the pond water through the filter every hour, and more if it is in direct sunlight.

Ours (came with the house) is 2000 gallons. I wish it was about a quarter the size.
Old 04-03-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We did this once. It lasted about a week since we had all kinds of little birds dying in it. That sucked.
Old 12-01-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Thinking of putting in a Koi Pond and waterfall - Any Advise?

Be sure to install a security camera.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wTAh3Gxe1oQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wTAh3Gxe1oQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 12-01-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WTF is with that video!!! It looks like the guy is thrashing because he thinks he's drowning in 3 feet of water, then rips a tree out of it's pot like he's throwing a temper tantrum, then he goes limp when the other dude pulls him out! Is he retarded?

Those poor fish.
Old 12-01-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

IMHO netting makes them look stupid. Ponds don't have nets. Just deal with the occasional fish being stolen.
Old 12-01-09, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
WTF is with that video!!! It looks like the guy is thrashing because he thinks he's drowning in 3 feet of water, then rips a tree out of it's pot like he's throwing a temper tantrum, then he goes limp when the other dude pulls him out! Is he retarded?

Those poor fish.
You have heard of The Office, right?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.