Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever called into a talk radio station?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-01-07, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend phones a local talk show quite often just to wind the presenter up. He puts fake voices on and keeps the presenter talking for a while and then always ends the call with "tastes like chicken".

I don't think he's ever phoned up to have a serious conversation.
Old 04-01-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
My friend phones a local talk show quite often just to wind the presenter up. He puts fake voices on and keeps the presenter talking for a while and then always ends the call with "tastes like chicken".

Your friend used to listen to Phil Hendrie?
Old 04-01-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I called in to speak with NPR once. They were running something about Johnny Carson and I called in to make some comment about Conan O'Brien. This was years ago, so I forget exactly what happened.
Old 04-01-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I call in to Sean Hannity's radio show
Old 04-01-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in 1971 I called into Calling All Sports hosted by Guy Manila on WBZ Boston-I asked about the pitching coach Lee Stange.
Old 04-01-07, 11:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

And Bababooey to y'all ....
Old 04-01-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orderandlaw

You and your friend should order Brother Russell's Radio Jihad. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you like this type of stuff. "Melba Jackson" is the persona they take on when they call into religious talk shows to screw with the host. Good stuff all around.

Edit...it doesn't look like the CD is available from that site anymore, but a quick Froogle search should turn up a copy.
Old 04-01-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to be the "start-up" caller for a show on a local station. If no one called in by a certain time, I would call in, and offer an assinine opinion. Then, other people would start calling to say how wrong the first caller was, and the show would be off and running.

It's pretty easy to sound like a different person, just by changing the speed of your words.

I also acted as a fill-in guest if their intended guest bailed at the last minute. I lived close, and would just walk over. I played a professional psychic who did palm readings over the radio, a woman who did phone sex for money while she went to college to study forensic pathology, the owner of a wilderness laundromat, and myself- the weird artist.
Old 04-01-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've called in and been on air with...Bill Handel, Michael Jackson, Peter Tilden and Tracy Miller, just to name a few.
I've faked being a real caller as a favor to shows
I've answered their calls
I've been "bababooee'd"
I've played their requests
I've ignored their requests
I've hung up on them
I've dumped them for saying the wrong thing on air
I've given them prizes
I've flirted with them
I've prayed with them
I've shot down their hopes of winning prizes because they were the wrong number caller, didn't call in time, or had the wrong answer
I've been verbally abused by them
I've listened to their problems
I've been there when they were lonely and just needed someone to keep them
company.
I've met them in person
I've had one show up un-announced with gifts.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-01-07 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my friends used to call Larry King when he was still on the radio. One time he asked "I understand the show isn't exactly live, there's like a seven-second delay? Also, on your audio mixing board, how many fucking channels are there?" It got on the air so far as "fu-" before he was cut off.
Old 04-02-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've called Tom Leykis twice and been "called" by NPR regarding my IHBB website.
Old 04-02-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I called up a show for audiowizard a few times. Just having fun while working on a Saturday.
Old 04-02-07, 12:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Used to call Art Rust Jr. when I was teenager. Got on dozens of times. I have audio tapes somewhere of my appearances.
Old 04-02-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me never - hubby all the time.
Old 04-02-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I've bothered calling a show in 13 years. Called Sean Hannity when he worked in Atlanta. I was pissed about him playing gun shots in the background the day Kurt Cobain died. Called Larry King in '88 (radio) when they did a subject on Bob Dylan. And I have called Neal Boortz a few times back around 1990.

My favorite call in show had to be back at Auburn at the campus station when it was nothing but a bunch of goofing off. Very amateur (immature), but funny.

I wouldn't call a show today, so I don't know why I did it back then.
Old 04-02-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. And then the police came over with the restraining order.
Old 04-02-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've called into the Lakers Line to discuss the games.
Old 04-02-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Called in and hosted, yes.

I think I also got "bababooe'd". I had a sports talk show right before Jim Rome, so I got his early crowd. Yuck.
Old 04-02-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was a teenager I called in and got to talk to the band members of the Fixx on air. I wasn't a particular fan, I was just calling for something to do, and can't even remember what I asked. Some safe, generic question, though, which is why I am sure the screener put me on.
Old 04-05-07, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I call in to WSU Shocker basketball shows every now and then when basketball season is going on.
Old 04-05-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't say it was on a talk show, but i've been on air twice, first on the day that "mezmorize" came out(system of a down album) i called up and complained about why everyone else was shitting on the album, and saying that i liked it ( i got "on" about 20 minutes after i called.)
The second time i got on air, i was on my way to school, and they were talking about the jeopardy guy Jennings who had a big win streak going on, well it turns out that (thanks to this forum) there was a story in tv talk about him losing, and i called mix 1065 in baltimore, to let them know. I got on air about an hour after i called and they even had a warning "if you don't want to know about Jeopardy results, turn down your radio know, alright what do you have for us..." and what ever i said. It was then i figured out how radio and call ins work. guy picked up the phone (actual dj, not a screener) i told him i had info about jeopardy, and then he started with the "what do you have for us" So, i thought that was pretty cool
Old 04-05-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I do a weekly call-in for a local station, but it's a promo thing. I don't think I'd ever call up do be the 10,001st person to say "They're taking our jobs!" on talk radio.