Reload this Page >

Did I just wreck the microwave?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-31-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new Chinese roomie has been heating up these metball things and not covering them with anything, and their is nasty shit all over the microwave. That, and just imagine a microwave a bunch of college guys are sharing. Gross.

So I 409'd the thing. I think I inadvertently sprayed some in the "grill" type thing on the inside. When I was done, I tried using it, and it worked for like 5-7 seconds then shut it's own power off, and the button on the power outlet popped out. I pushed it back in, and it came back on.

Now I'm afraid to use it again! Does it just need to dry out? I don't wanna be stuck buying a new one.

Also, since we're on the topic, does anyone have any microwave stories?
Old 03-31-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
How to clean a microwave:

Put in a cup of water and microwave it for 2-3 minutes on high. Wipe the inside with a slightly damp cloth or sponge.

My microwave was ruined earlier this year when my teenager microwaved Spagettios in the can. I can't believe she didn't know that you can't put metal in the microwave, but apparently we never had that little lesson.
Old 03-31-07, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
My new Chinese roomie has been heating up these metball things and not covering them with anything, and their is nasty shit all over the microwave. That, and just imagine a microwave a bunch of college guys are sharing. Gross.

So I 409'd the thing. I think I inadvertently sprayed some in the "grill" type thing on the inside. When I was done, I tried using it, and it worked for like 5-7 seconds then shut it's own power off, and the button on the power outlet popped out. I pushed it back in, and it came back on.

Now I'm afraid to use it again! Does it just need to dry out? I don't wanna be stuck buying a new one.

Chinese Metballs

You did have something in the oven when you tried using it for the 5-7 seconds, right?
Old 03-31-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Chinese meatballs anything like Hawaiian meatballs?

Yeah, my dad uined the microwave last year when he overheated some potatoes.
Old 03-31-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RandyC

Chinese Metballs

You did have something in the oven when you tried using it for the 5-7 seconds, right?
Must be, they are big. Like Meat Wad on Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

And yes, I was heating up some baked beans. Mmmm..
Old 03-31-07, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Anyway... dry it out then try it again. Sounds like the moisture shorted out. Do like Tasha says when cleaning, heat up water in there to generate steam and then sponge it out.
Old 04-01-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so it's dry on the inside from what I can tell, and it's been an hour since I cleaned it...I've left the door open...

I just tried using it again, and I had something inside () and it stayed on for a few seconds, then turned itself off again, and the button on the outlet popped out again.

Shit.
Old 04-01-07, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

If liquid got on the circuit board, it would take longer to dry it. I would try overnight.
Old 04-01-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

okay, thank you. I hope 4 guys can survive without ramen overnight...

aw shoot, I guess I will boil some water on the stove.
Old 04-01-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
My microwave was ruined earlier this year when my teenager microwaved Spagettios in the can. I can't believe she didn't know that you can't put metal in the microwave, but apparently we never had that little lesson.
Didn't you tell her that if she covered the can in plastic wrap first, she could have prevented that?

I don't have a microwave story, but i do have a separate appliance story of chocolate syrup being put in a coffee maker for chocolate milk!
Old 04-01-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Very first time I used a microwave, I brought a sandwich to work wrapped in foil. After heating for 30 seconds, I couldn't figure out why the sandwich was still cold.

Just before I tried a second time, the old light bulb went off. Luckily there was no damage and the secret was safe until now.
Old 04-01-07, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
Didn't you tell her that if she covered the can in plastic wrap first, she could have prevented that?

This is not a good idea. Metal in a microwave is an antenna and cause arcs (fire) and harm the magnetron....and if nothing else, absorbs the energy instead of the food getting hot.
Old 04-01-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Just before I tried a second time, the old light bulb went off. Luckily there was no damage and the secret was safe until now.
You've been outed!
Old 04-01-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn!
Old 04-01-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RandyC
This is not a good idea. Metal in a microwave is an antenna and cause arcs (fire) and harm the magnetron....and if nothing else, absorbs the energy instead of the food getting hot.
Mythbusters proved metal in a microwave doesn't ruin them.
Old 04-01-07, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Can cause arcs (fire) and will stop the food from absorbing the radiation. So, not a good idea. From Mythbusters-

It is possible to blow up a microwave oven by microwaving metal. Busted (with caveats)

Neither a spoon nor a fork had any effect. Tinfoil scrunched into balls caused a light-show with electric charges, but the microwave did not explode.

Microwaving metal can possibly ruin a microwave by arcing against the inner wall, sending electricity back to the magnetron, and either destroying it or shortening its lifespan.

I rest my case.
Old 04-01-07, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my coworkers was heating up some coffee in his plastic coffee mug, only to come back from the restroom to smoke pouring out of the microwave. Apparently there was some metal where the lid attatched, which arced enough to start melting the plastic.
Old 04-01-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Our microwave also has a timer function for timing other things, and since the timer on our regular oven was already in use, I used the one on the microwave. About three minutes in, I realized I had started the cook timer, with nothing in the microwave. It got really hot, and shut itself off for awhile. It came back on after a while and we've used it since then.
Old 04-01-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You know, Magnetron is a much better name for the appliance than "microwave"... don't you agree? If we called it that, I'd develop a curly moustache just to twirl it while I say things like,

"Oh, you want this chocolate hot, do you? Let's see what happens when I put it in the Magnetron."
Old 04-01-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
"Oh, you want this chocolate hot, do you? Let's see what happens when I put it in the Magnetron."

Well, no one's stopping you from calling it that. Do it.

I tried out the microwave again this morning, works fine. I did see that a new one at Wal-**** is only $42. Since when are microwaves so cheap? I had no idea.

Thanks for the input, everyone. It's an April Fool's Day miracle.
Old 04-01-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried out the microwave again this morning, works fine. I did see that a new one at Wal-**** is only $42. Since when are microwaves so cheap? I had no idea.
When did you last purchase a microwave? Cheap microwaves have been on the market for quite a while.
Old 04-01-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
When did you last purchase a microwave? Cheap microwaves have been on the market for quite a while.
Never.

I just figured they were the biggest, most powerful, most used kitchen appliance (non fridge, stove, oven, etc) and would cost more. Logical, right? If this is the case, a toaster should be around $3.
Old 04-01-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never.

I just figured they were the biggest, most powerful, most used kitchen appliance
That would be...

SET IT AND FORGET IT!!!!!
(then wonder what that rotting smell coming from your kitchen a few days later is?)

a toaster should be around $3.
Yes, it absolutely should.
Old 04-01-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorraffy
That won't work. I think you have to wrap the can in tinfoil. That should do the trick.
Old 04-01-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
You know, Magnetron is a much better name for the appliance than "microwave"... don't you agree? If we called it that, I'd develop a curly moustache just to twirl it while I say things like,

Yeah, but microwave is better than "Radarange"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.