Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

School me on high capacity front load washers/dryers.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-31-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our washer died. The appliance guy said if I got a front load washer to stay away from Whirlpool, GE, Maytag because he does a fair amount of work on them. He said the LG brand sold at Home Depot seems very solid and has only ever worked on one. So that's what I am looking at.

But there are 4 different models ranging in price from $899 to $1,499. There is a little difference in capacity. But I hear that RPMs is the next big important thing because the more RPMs, the less your energy sucking dryer has to work. So what is enough RPMs to maximize the value?

Anyone have these? What did the research show?
Old 03-31-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When mine died a couple months ago I got a Whirlpool Cabrio top loading HE. It's not as efficient at a front loader but I'm not a fan of the front loaders, and I wasn't about to get a stand. I had a ton of detergent that I had to give away since you're only supposed to use the HE detergent but it does a good job. I can't remember what the RPM's is on the washer but it spins quite hard. The only problem is that it spins so hard that I think the clothes are more wrinkled then they got in my old machine. Washing and drying time are about even thanks to the clothes being dryer when they come out of the washer.

Basically I got nothing and can't help.
Old 03-31-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks.
Old 03-31-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have had the LG for about a couple of years. No problems, but wouldn't expect any in that amount of time. I do not have the model that has steam. I love them. I did get the stands/drawers. Raises them up to a perfect height and I can always use more storage room. I wouldn't put anything heavy in the drawers though, I have shop towels in them. I will tell you I had a lot of problems with the installers Home Depot used, ended up talking to a manager several times and finally told them I did not want the install company setting foot in my house again and someone from Home Depot came out and fixed the problem.
Old 03-31-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you are looking at LG. Here's my take. I did quite a bit of research, including Consumer Reports. Whirlpools are generally regarded as the most reliable.

I went with this washer model: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142296375541

It's the HT. The difference between this one is that the drive mechanism is a chain drive, rather than a belt drive. Less chance of it wearing out and breaking.
Old 03-31-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I would have to see if Sears carries it. I am also bound by location.

Any idea what the rpms on that is?
Old 03-31-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Our washer died. The appliance guy said if I got a front load washer to stay away from Whirlpool, GE, Maytag because he does a fair amount of work on them. He said the LG brand sold at Home Depot seems very solid and has only ever worked on one. So that's what I am looking at.

But there are 4 different models ranging in price from $899 to $1,499. There is a little difference in capacity. But I hear that RPMs is the next big important thing because the more RPMs, the less your energy sucking dryer has to work. So what is enough RPMs to maximize the value?

Anyone have these? What did the research show?
My friend's brother has been selling appliances for a while. Avoid avoid avoid LG. The reason the guy doesn't service many is because there's not that many to service. Same reason the Accord is one of the most stolen cars in America. It's not easy to steal (compared to other cars), there's just a lot of them.
Old 03-31-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Around here there are a lot. But that is because we are far away from everything, but there is a Home Depot near by, and that is what they carry. Do they get bad reliability reviews?
Old 03-31-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I looked at quite & read about quite a few when I was buying my FL washer in december. My first choice was the bosch 500(http://www.boschappliances.com/product475.html), but it ended up being about 1" too deep for my location, so I ended up with a frigidaire model that's pretty good, but not quite what I wanted.
Old 03-31-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I would have to see if Sears carries it. I am also bound by location.

Any idea what the rpms on that is?
According to the Whirlpool site, it's 1100 maximum RPM.

I will say that I'm impressed with how much less water these use. Like alot. Also, it spins the clothes so fast to get the water out, it only takes about 30 minutes to dry them in the matching dryer. I'm 2x the amount of laundry in the same amount of time.
Old 03-31-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dave- YGM!

I sent you all the data from Consumer Reports.
Old 03-31-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
My wife and I decided between the LG and Siemens (same as Bosch). We decided on the Siemens and my wife is in love with both the washer and the dryer.
Old 03-31-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kvrwasherdryerdave,

Get your wife the most expensive washer and dryer available and then come this summer, you can buy that 50" plasma TV you've been whining about.
Old 03-31-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I'm a big GE fan. I agree with The Bus, your service guy repairs a lot of GE's because it is one of the most popular models out there.
Old 03-31-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We went with the cheapie - a Frigidaire front loader from Home Depot - 599. Less reliable, supposedly, but so far so good. Ok I just jinxed myself.

My power bill has been consistently lower than last year (says so on the bill) and we've had the same average temps.

Also, don't get hung up on max rpms. We don't even max ours out, because the clothes are TOO dry, and come out of the dryer stiff as a board if you go to the max on rpms. The dryer needs something to do.
Old 03-31-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also interested in FL washer.... have an old top loader that still works, but leaks occasionally and is probably 10-14 years old. Plus dryer is starting to go too.. Last I was reading on FL's is there were issues with the front seals getting moldy on alot of models, as well as some controller issues since these are more 'computer' controlled than the old mechanical dial ones. At least it seems prices are starting to come down on these, when I was looking before didn't see anything under $1100 .
Old 03-31-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by greg9x
I'm also interested in FL washer.... have an old top loader that still works, but leaks occasionally and is probably 10-14 years old. Plus dryer is starting to go too.. Last I was reading on FL's is there were issues with the front seals getting moldy on alot of models, as well as some controller issues since these are more 'computer' controlled than the old mechanical dial ones. At least it seems prices are starting to come down on these, when I was looking before didn't see anything under $1100 .
Yes, there were some problems with mold, particularly Maytags IIRC. My understanding is that those problems have been fixed. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to always leave a front loading washer's door slightly open (i.e. don't click it shut) when not in use.

Recently, some Maytags and Samsungs were recalled for having fire hazard problems linked to their circuit boards. Are those the controller issues you're referring to?
Old 03-31-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My mom has had two. The first she bought in 1999 and was a Kenmore. Sucked after a few years. Board went out twice. Motor went out. It was belt driven. Apparently you don't want one that is belt driven.

It went out again in January. She was busy taking care of my dying grandmother so I went down to Austin and bought her a Samsung Silver care and a Samsung dryer to replace her gas dryer. She likes them both much better so far.

The Silver care is some feature that lets you wash all clothes in cold water and it disinfects them with this Silver Care technology. Supposedly that lasts for 5 years. I dont think she has even used the feature yet.

I got a really good deal buying these at Best But as open box items. They were knocking off money when I seemed to hesitate on the purchase. They also ended up giving me about $550 in gift cards. Oh and I purchased open box stands too. Had to go to a couple of different stores, but thats the way to get those because they are not worth $200 each brand new.
Old 03-31-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
Recently, some Maytags and Samsungs were recalled for having fire hazard problems linked to their circuit boards. Are those the controller issues you're referring to?
I heard controllers not starting cycles, not recognizing the door was shut or keeping the door locked.... Fire is a bit more of a concern...
Old 03-31-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My water bill dropped $20 per month when I replaced my crappy top load washer with a front load.
Old 03-31-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Samsungs I also heard bad things about. They're even worse (according tot his guy): the store refuses to even stock their stuff. (THey just do appliances, not LCDs).

He doesn't work for a Maytag store or a Sears or anything. Just an independent appliance place.
Old 03-31-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shazam
My water bill dropped $20 per month when I replaced my crappy top load washer with a front load.
Unfortunately, I haven't noticed the benefit. But, my fiancee moved in the same time I got them, so I think they negated each other.
Old 03-31-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Kenmore pretty basic front loader. I have had my current one 5 years and had the same unit that was stackable in my old condo for a few years. I have no issues with it.
Old 03-31-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I went down to Austin and bought her a Samsung Silver care and a Samsung dryer to replace her gas dryer. She likes them both much better so far.

The Silver care is some feature that lets you wash all clothes in cold water and it disinfects them with this Silver Care technology. Supposedly that lasts for 5 years. I dont think she has even used the feature yet.

Those were my other options other then the Cabrio's. The Silver Care sounded really cool, I just couldn't find many reviews on them at the time so I didn't want to take the chance.
Old 04-01-07, 11:03 AM

What about those washers without the agitator in the middle? They look nice because you can theoretically fit more stuff in there, but do they do a good job?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.