Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car Help

Old 03-30-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Help

Hey all,

I noticed that there were some oil spots under my car about a month and I brought it to a mechanic for a complete tune up, he said my oil filter was loose and that would fix the leak...well it is a month later and am noticing spots again...I put some oil in last night and all of a sudden, the car is smoking like crazy whenever I step on the gas, or whenever I let up off the gas...I mean like clouds of white smoke totally obscuring anything behind me

any ideas on what could be causing this...and yes I am going to bring it in, just trying to get an idea of what I may be looking at if anyone on here knows...

Last edited by Unclejosh; 03-30-07 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 11:50 AM

If you have black smoke coming out of the back, you're probaly burning oil, which means you need to rebuild your engine, or buy a new car.
Old 03-30-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

arent you glad you asked?
Old 03-30-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ask this guy : he will know what to do

Old 03-30-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

White smoke?
Sounds like a head gasket, coolent is getting into your cylinders, and is most likely an expensive repair. This happened with my old bronco, essentially totalling it, and my '99 GA became as valuable as the cost of the repair. i.e. ~$2500 to make it worth $2500!

Pull the dip-stick and see if there is any "non-oil" type goo on it, this is a sure sign of this problem.

Black smoke?
It is possible you spilled some oil when refilling.
The leak could also be from a loose or bad oil-pan plug.
Old 03-30-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it is white smoke...
Old 03-30-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Black smoke? Do you live on an island?
Old 03-30-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jonw9
Black smoke?
It is possible you spilled some oil when refilling.
The leak could also be from a loose or bad oil-pan plug.
well yea.. there was always the obvious.. that he could have spilled oil

but surely he would have mentioned that, right
Old 03-30-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
it is white smoke...
I would say it is something major, and you should probably start thinking about what this car is worth.

I may be completely wrong with this one, and I hope I am, but be ready to spend some money.

What make/model/year vehicle are you driving?

Typically, the cost of the parts is relatively inexpensive, the money is in the labor because the whole top of the engine needs to be torn apart.
Old 03-30-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My mechanic said to junk the car...it is a 99 nissan altima...totally screwed now, but c'est la vie...
Old 03-30-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

sell it to a teenager and tell them you added the smoke machine as an after market mod.. for the cool effect
Old 03-30-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got $500 for mine, sold it to a mechanic who fixed it in his garage and sold it 2 weeks later for about $2500 or so.

You could try to sell it in the paper or something.
Sorry about your luck.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife was driving the Grand Am when it went. she walks in the door and says "The check engine light came on and the car started smoking real bad, I almost didn't think I would make it the rest of the way home.."
Old 03-30-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah was driving into work when it started happening...is it safe to drive home? if not i dont have many options
Old 03-30-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are junking the car, there is no real reason not to. However your engine could completely seize up and leave you stranded.

How long is your drive?
Old 03-30-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it is usually about a 30 minute commute, but since this is Friday can take up to 3 times that...I work in Boston and live in a suburb about 15 miles out, but traffic is insane on Fridays...just my luck it happens today
Old 03-30-07, 03:33 PM

I feel your pain, unclejosh. My wife's 98 outback had a similar problem (head gasket) and it wasn't worth it to pay for the repair. If you need to get rid of it, try listing it on Craigslist as a "mechanic's special" - we did that with ours and got 4 times what the mechanic who diagnosed the problem offered us.

As for getting your car out of the city, do you have AAA?
Old 03-30-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it is usually about a 30 minute commute, but since this is Friday can take up to 3 times that...I work in Boston and live in a suburb about 15 miles out, but traffic is insane on Fridays...just my luck it happens today

Sorry I missed you. I personally think 1.5 hours may be a bit long to risk, especially stop-and-go. At least you are not too far away from home. Hopefully you made it.
Old 04-02-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, I made it home...after I let it run for 20 mins it seemed to be ok, but would smoke when ever I had to really accelerate or decelerate, but made it ok...car is now in shop and is getting an entire new engine put in...I cant get another car for the price of the new engine...every other part of the car is mint so the couple grand it will cost seems to be the best (and truthfully, only) option for me...

I had to rent a car to get to work...a little Aveo I think it is...oh my god, my kids thought it was a fake car that I made...I am a big dude, so it is hysterical seeing me in it
Old 04-02-07, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Hey all,

I noticed that there were some oil spots under my car about a month and I brought it to a mechanic for a complete tune up, he said my oil filter was loose and that would fix the leak...well it is a month later and am noticing spots again...I put some oil in last night and all of a sudden, the car is smoking like crazy whenever I step on the gas, or whenever I let up off the gas...I mean like clouds of white smoke totally obscuring anything behind me

any ideas on what could be causing this...and yes I am going to bring it in, just trying to get an idea of what I may be looking at if anyone on here knows...
Just curious.. what was the dipstick level before you added the oil?
Old 04-02-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pretty much empty...
Old 04-02-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, I made it home...after I let it run for 20 mins it seemed to be ok, but would smoke when ever I had to really accelerate or decelerate, but made it ok...car is now in shop and is getting an entire new engine put in...I cant get another car for the price of the new engine...every other part of the car is mint so the couple grand it will cost seems to be the best (and truthfully, only) option for me...

I had to rent a car to get to work...a little Aveo I think it is...oh my god, my kids thought it was a fake car that I made...I am a big dude, so it is hysterical seeing me in it
I think that's a wise choice. It's not an extremely new car, but not extremely old either. I think sometimes people are a little quick when there's a major repair to just 'junk it' and buy a new car/new used car. There's always opportunities when that's the best idea, especially if it's very old, would need many more repairs, or is worth less, or is really at the end of its life... but in your case it's the right decision.

I had to decide what to do with my Tahoe a year ago. It needed a complete transmission rebuild and it's needed new rotors and brakes, totaling more than $4000 worth of parts/labor, and I drive a long distance to work. Traded it in for $4500, used it towards a 98 Accord in pretty good condition, mileage, and got a pretty good deal. Plus much less in gas.
Old 04-02-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I did something like that once. I figured that with an engine rebuild, I would get a better car for the money than I could buying a different car.

I really liked that car. Sadly, a little old lady ran a red light and flipped me onto my roof.
Old 04-02-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Throw some thick oil in in, like 20w50 and trade it in. Walk away with a smile knowing that you screwed the dealer for once.
Old 04-02-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think his problem was coolant getting in, not oil getting out.

You should write:
Drain the radiator and trade it in. Walk away with a smile knowing that you screwed the dealer for once.
Old 04-02-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No i was leaking oil

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.