Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to 'fall in love' with someone you've met on the Internet?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Is it possible to 'fall in love' with someone you've met on the Internet?

Old 03-29-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4/23 Update:Is it possible to 'fall in love' with someone you've met on the Internet?

I've been trying the online dating thing again for the past few days and so far it's been ok. been talking to a few different women in my general area. Most seem nice. Trading an email or 2 each day. However there is one girl that I have been chatting with non-stop for the past 3 days.. and when I say non-stop, I mean it. Like every 2 mins throughout the day. We both have PDAs and are texting through work, in the morning, driving home, etc. She met her friends last night for dinner and they asked her why she was so happy and kept texting through the meal. 2 nights ago we were texting until like 10:30 pm and doing the "no you hang up first" thing. Last night we chatted on the phone for like 30 mins.

We are even starting to call each other stupid little names. We both feel really comfortable with each other and have that stupid lovey, warm fuzzy feeling. She lives a few hrs away and will be leaving town tomorrow for a week, but we plan to get together after that.

She doesn't appear to be a loser. She has a good job, a bunch of friends (it appears), and is pretty cute. Am I completely nuts to 'fall' for a girl that I've never met? It just feels completely right.

I'll take the fantasy baseball/startbucks girl/pee in your butt advice, but some real advice would be cool also

Last edited by j123vt_99; 04-23-07 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Real love? No. Infatuation? Hell, yes.

Real love requires real time interaction. I met a woman in England online ten years ago and had a long-distance relationship for over two years. We are still friends, but we have only been together in real time for a three-week period in 1999. I'll always care about her, but real love? If it were real love we would have found a way to be together.

Online relationships can turn out badly, which is why I no longer recommend them unless you're meeting local people through the internet. How far away from you is this girl?
DVD Talk Hero

I have 3 separate friends that have met and married people they met online.

1 moved from California to Oklahoma to be with her.

1 met a girl from Tennessee that he married.

1 met a a local on match.com.

All three couples are extremely happy and very much in love. It's certainly possible.

No way in hell. How can you love a woman you haven't banged yet. What if you make love to her and don't enjoy it at all. How can you love someone you don't enjoy making love to. I don't care what people say, sex is a big part of keeping a healthy relationship.
Old 03-29-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lives about 3 hrs away. I definitely would've headed up there tomorrow if she was going to be in town... and you are right.. Certainly things may be different when we meet.

She may have habits that annoy the crap out of me or things about her that she hasn't mentioned yet or the sex thing as mentioned above.

and i guess right now, it isn't true love (yet) but strong loving feelings.

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Real love? No. Infatuation? Hell, yes.

Real love requires real time interaction. I met a woman in England online ten years ago and had a long-distance relationship for over two years. We are still friends, but we have only been together in real time for a three-week period in 1999. I'll always care about her, but real love? If it were real love we would have found a way to be together.

Online relationships can turn out badly, which is why I no longer recommend them unless you're meeting local people through the internet. How far away from you is this girl?
Old 03-29-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by leest3
No way in hell. How can you love a woman you haven't banged yet. What if you make love to her and don't enjoy it at all. How can you love someone you don't enjoy making love to. I don't care what people say, sex is a big part of keeping a healthy relationship.
Call me old-fashioned, but I think being "in love" is not about the physical act of porking. It's about really knowing a person. Which comes from talking.

To me, that's what makes you fall for someone. Not fucking.
Old 03-29-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wouldn't make any long-term decisions over what's happened in the last 3 days but it definitely seems to be worth investigating for you.

A family member of a friend met his current girlfriend through an internet service. Only two people in their family know about it, they didn't want to weird anyone else out.
Old 03-29-07, 11:36 AM
Political Exile

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a hell of a commute to get a relationship to work. I wouldn't try it, but other people may not mind it.
Old 03-29-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am engaged to a girl that I met online. It doesn't matter how you meet if you hit it off. I wouldn't say that you were in love just yet, that would require some real time spent with this girl... but I would certainly ignore those that say "internet relationship? no way!" My fiance was local, but I have a friend who is going to Indianapolis (lives in So. Cal) this weekend to see a girl he met online about 5 weeks ago. You say that she is local to you, so that's great! Good luck!

Edit: I just read the post that you are 3 hours away. Still possible (better than across the country like my friend!) It just makes it a little more effort on BOTH of your parts.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
That's a hell of a commute to get a relationship to work. I wouldn't try it, but other people may not mind it.

It is, but it's not completely unrealistic. It's not a bad drive for a weekend. Certainly in another 3 days, feelings could change.
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like the beginning to a nice friendship. Love? IMHO, no. It takes more than text on a screen to decide about a person on an emotional level.
Old 03-29-07, 11:42 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Ask her why she's passing off a sample photo that was part of a just purchased picture frame.

Or ... you can ask Wergo for advice. He's on the 22 page thread still chugging along.
Old 03-29-07, 11:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't have to beat around the bush, j123VT 99, I love you too! Come here and give me a big kiss!
Old 03-29-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, the title of your post and the question in your post are different, so...

"Is it possible to 'fall in love' with someone you've met on the Internet?" Yes

"Am I completely nuts to 'fall' for a girl that I've never met?" Yes
Old 03-29-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

I would agree with those who said infatuation, but not love. Unless she showed you her boobies on a webcam. Then it could be love.
Old 03-29-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thank guys so far

lunatikk - i guess you are right about 2 different questions, but answers to both interest me.

bandoman - bad news it's not you.. the name does begin with 'twik' and ends with 'off'

vegasbaby - lol.. she actually posted 4 different pics.
Old 03-29-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pics?
Old 03-29-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My brother had an interesting theory. He suggested that when you read something, it bypasses all of the usual filters that you have up for verbal and nonverbal communication, and goes straight to your emotional core. So naturally when you chat up this girl online, it "feels" like love, because every word is going right around your cynical, logical conscious mind.

Ask yourself -- when you write something to her, do you hang on her imminent reply? Do the words she types sometimes hit you with ten times more force than it should? Do you find yourself getting more easily pissed off, or aroused, or amused, by something she wrote than you would if she said it in person? Do you overanalyze every single little thing that she says?

There ya go. The power of the Internet. (Which makes wergo's situation even more pathetisad.) Can you fall in love with someone you've met online? Sure. But are you in love right now? No.
Old 03-29-07, 11:56 AM

It's all well and good until you realize that for the past six months you've been chatting up this guy:

Old 03-29-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. My reply is to all your questions would probably be yes (imminent reply, force of words, etc....),but I'm curious if your brother's theory is correct. Thoughts on NcMojo's bro's theory?

Originally Posted by NCMojo
My brother had an interesting theory. He suggested that when you read something, it bypasses all of the usual filters that you have up for verbal and nonverbal communication, and goes straight to your emotional core. So naturally when you chat up this girl online, it "feels" like love, because every word is going right around your cynical, logical conscious mind.

Ask yourself -- when you write something to her, do you hang on her imminent reply? Do the words she types sometimes hit you with ten times more force than it should? Do you find yourself getting more easily pissed off, or aroused, or amused, by something she wrote than you would if she said it in person? Do you overanalyze every single little thing that she says?

There ya go. The power of the Internet. (Which makes wergo's situation even more pathetisad.) Can you fall in love with someone you've met online? Sure. But are you in love right now? No.
Old 03-29-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Interesting. My reply is to all your questions would probably be yes (imminent reply, force of words, etc....),but I'm curious if your brother's theory is correct. Thoughts on NcMojo's bro's theory?
J, how did you answer these questions?

When you write something to her, do you hang on her imminent reply?

Do the words she types sometimes hit you with ten times more force than it should?

Do you find yourself getting more easily pissed off, or aroused, or amused, by something she wrote than you would if she said it in person?

Do you overanalyze every single little thing that she says?
Old 03-29-07, 12:00 PM

yes there are two... here on DVDTalk... and I aint naming names....

Old 03-29-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would say Yes to probably all of them... but I think I would say Yes if you asked how I would answer those questions if we were talking about one of my buddies.

Originally Posted by NCMojo
J, how did you answer these questions?

When you write something to her, do you hang on her imminent reply?

Do the words she types sometimes hit you with ten times more force than it should?

Do you find yourself getting more easily pissed off, or aroused, or amused, by something she wrote than you would if she said it in person?

Do you overanalyze every single little thing that she says?
Old 03-29-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giles
yes there are two... here on DVDTalk... and I aint naming names....

That wasn't love, it was "last man standing."
Old 03-29-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
You don't have to beat around the bush, j123VT 99, I love you too! Come here and give me a big kiss!
You never offered to do that to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.