Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Driving Question: Which is more illegal......

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Driving Question: Which is more illegal......

Old 03-28-07, 07:40 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Question: Which is more illegal......

Driving down our new toll road I saw a car in the shoulder going in reverse and couldn't figure out what he was doing.. Then it dawned on me. Let me see if I can explain... The toll road has a fork in the road. People who have the EZ pass can go to the left and continue at the speed of 70 mph while people who need to pay the toll bear right, pay the toll and merge back onto the highway.

What this guy had done is passed the fork to pay the toll and had continued on the part for the EZ pass people, realized he didn;t have EZ pass and was backing up to the fork to bear right to pay the toll.

so which is worse or more illegal... going in reverse on a highway (to pay a toll).. or going through a EZ pass toll without paying/having EZ pass?
Old 03-28-07, 07:49 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: My Car
Posts: 6,752
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you mean by more illegal? illegal is illegal
Old 03-28-07, 07:49 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, going in reverse on a highway should result in the death penalty. While going through a toll gate without paying should result in the death penalty.

Old 03-28-07, 07:50 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about legality, but risking a high speed accident is worse than forgetting a toll.
Old 03-28-07, 07:54 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,263
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
giving a Texan a license






Old 03-28-07, 07:59 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
what do you mean by more illegal? illegal is illegal

going through an EZ pass without paying would result in this fine/penalty.

going backwards on a highway would result in this fine/penalty.

The bigger penalty/fine is more illegal
Old 03-28-07, 08:00 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Valley of the Sun
Posts: 3,514
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I don't know about legality, but risking a high speed accident is worse than forgetting a toll.
Exactly! Either way the law would be broken, but this jag-off's solution was both stupid and dangerous. It's similar to the ass-hat who cuts off 4 cars while crossing 5 lanes to make an off ramp. God forbid being safe and taking the next exit and then back tracking. These are the people who believe they are more important than anyone else in the world.
Old 03-28-07, 08:00 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 15,861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I don't know about legality, but risking a high speed accident is worse than forgetting a toll.
Old 03-28-07, 08:03 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gilbertr76
Exactly! Either way the law would be broken, but this jag-off's solution was both stupid and dangerous. It's similar to the ass-hat who cuts off 4 cars while crossing 5 lanes to make an off ramp. God forbid being safe and taking the next exit and then back tracking. These are the people who believe they are more important than anyone else in the world.
To be fair to the guy, he was in a pretty large shoulder, had his flashers on, and was going about 5-10 mph in reverse
Old 03-28-07, 08:08 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,190
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well if the government wants to create an incentive not to make this boneheaded move, the fine for not paying a toll (running the EZPASS) should simply be the cost it takes to process a toll collection through the mail. My guess is that the fine is far far more harsh than that.
Old 03-28-07, 08:09 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
draven31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: in Austin, probably stuck in traffic.
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would he do that anyway? the toll hasnt started yet has it? I thought it kicked in on may 1?
Old 03-28-07, 08:10 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 6,461
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
To be fair to the guy, he was in a pretty large shoulder, had his flashers on, and was going about 5-10 mph in reverse
Well then just give him a fine. The shoulder is a multi-purpose lane. You can even pull off and have a picnic if there are picnic tables around.

Old 03-28-07, 08:11 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 3,382
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you stop and offer wergo your ezpass?
Old 03-28-07, 08:14 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,757
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by draven31
why would he do that anyway? the toll hasnt started yet has it? I thought it kicked in on may 1?
The 35/1325 toll started a few weeks back
Old 03-28-07, 08:16 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
draven31's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: in Austin, probably stuck in traffic.
Posts: 902
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh... I've only been on the 183 toll road.




I say shoot out his tires and hang him from the bridge as a message to other drivers..
Old 03-28-07, 08:38 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Muskegon, MI
Posts: 5,200
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNppZoAerSk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" ></embed>
Old 03-28-07, 08:43 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York City
Posts: 411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd probaly blow the toll. Less of a chance getting caught. Here in the NYC metro area, they have signs that say do not back up at the toll.
Old 03-28-07, 08:45 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,610
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Well if the government wants to create an incentive not to make this boneheaded move, the fine for not paying a toll (running the EZPASS) should simply be the cost it takes to process a toll collection through the mail. My guess is that the fine is far far more harsh than that.
I think for a first offence, you just get a bill in the mail for the toll amount (possibly with a small extra fee attached, I forget). My father went through the EZ-PASS lane by mistake once, and that's all that happened to him. It was no big deal. I'm sure things get worse for repeat offenders though.
Old 03-28-07, 08:54 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,673
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only know how it works in Illinois, but supposedly you can go through an EZ pass lane 3 times without any repercussions. Although, if you want to be more legal, you can go through it, and then at the next one, just ask the attendant for a form to pay it through the mail
Old 03-28-07, 08:59 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,603
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just cover your license plates a few miles before you get to the EZ Pass lane thingie camera madoody.
Old 03-28-07, 09:16 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,190
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wazootyman
I only know how it works in Illinois, but supposedly you can go through an EZ pass lane 3 times without any repercussions. Although, if you want to be more legal, you can go through it, and then at the next one, just ask the attendant for a form to pay it through the mail

Well, that's good to know.
Old 03-28-07, 09:32 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
what do you mean by more illegal? illegal is illegal
Yeah, that's what the cop said. I jaywalked and mugged some lady, and I asked him if he could just give me the jaywalking ticket...stupid yelling lady with her stupid, "You took my purse!" ranting.

-p
Old 03-28-07, 10:19 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done that before, more than once. I got a bill for $0.50 and promptly paid it.

(True story).
Old 03-28-07, 10:21 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I've done that before, more than once. I got a bill for $0.50 and promptly paid it.

(True story).
Jay-walking and mugging....and all you got was a $.50 fine?!!

-p
Old 03-28-07, 10:26 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Michael T Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as "BigDaddy"/Austin, TX
Posts: 11,378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Driving down our new toll road I saw a car in the shoulder going in reverse and couldn't figure out what he was doing.. Then it dawned on me. Let me see if I can explain... The toll road has a fork in the road. People who have the EZ pass can go to the left and continue at the speed of 70 mph while people who need to pay the toll bear right, pay the toll and merge back onto the highway.

What this guy had done is passed the fork to pay the toll and had continued on the part for the EZ pass people, realized he didn;t have EZ pass and was backing up to the fork to bear right to pay the toll.

so which is worse or more illegal... going in reverse on a highway (to pay a toll).. or going through a EZ pass toll without paying/having EZ pass?


If you go without a tag you get a bill in the mail. It is not illegal it is a payment option.


So, you don't have a toll tag, but you still don't want to stop at toll booths?

No problem, Texas Department of Transportation officials said Wednesday, just three days before the agency will begin charging cash customers to drive on the three Central Texas toll roads that opened late last year.



Drivers will be given a third way to pay, a new approach in the rapidly evolving world of toll roads typically called "open-road tolling" or "video tolling." It will be more expensive than paying cash or using a toll tag windshield sticker.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.