Reload this Page >

I'd really like to punch the bag...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-27-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...so I'm looking for a good floor standing punching/kicking bag. I need something that doesn't have to hang from the ceiling, isn't too pricey and holds up well to a beating. Does anybody have advice on a good one to get online?
Old 03-27-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nazz
...so I'm looking for a good floor standing punching/kicking bag. I need something that doesn't have to hang from the ceiling, isn't too pricey and holds up well to a beating. Does anybody have advice on a good one to get online?
Here is your issue. You want to be able to kick, too. Therefore, I firmly believe you need a bag that is taller than you, so you can do low kicks, medium kicks, and high kicks. You may say that you only want to do medium kicks. And thats fine, but if you do a really good workout, you won't have the strength and energy to only do medium kicks. Your exhaustion will default you to low kicks quite often, as they do for me, and I'm pretty good now.

I use a heavy bag for an hour 4 or 5 days per week at the kickboxing gym I go to. The bags are very tall, hang from the ceiling, and rest on the ground. if you have the strength and technique, you can move the bag off the ground.

I was given a great bag at Christmas, but it wasn't full size and wasn't as heavy as the bags that I'm accustomed to. I decided to return it, because I could never be fully happy with it.

Bags like these: (this is my gym and the bags I'm referring to, and one of my instructors, in the top pic)

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 03-27-07 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-29-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i would have to agree w/ ukywyldcat. i;m 6'2 so it is next to impossible for me to get a bag that is tall enough for me. ceiling wasnt an option for me so i bought a stand and hung the bag as high as i could. i still cant do a full power high kick (but that reaches about 6'5") without hitting the chains or the top of the bag and making it swing like crazy. stay clear on the ones you fill with water and roll around on the floor--they move like crazy and tend to not have adequate absorption of your forces when you kick--great for punching though since you can really hit hard w/o hurting your wrists, unlike a heavy bag. if i had my druthers, i would have a supre tall and long very heavy bag (like ukywyldcat says) for kicking and a smaller, softer, lighter bag for punching.
Old 03-29-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with UK... The long Muay Thai bags are the best imo, but you will have to attach to a ceiling. Anything else will just be a punching bag, and although pretty fun, you will be missing out on so much more. Do you take any boxing, Muay Thai, or kickboxing classes? They may have some suggestions or be able to get a discount.
Old 03-29-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get married?
Old 03-29-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the great feedback. I did train formally years ago in Tae Kwon Do but am just looking to workout on my own casually. I'm setting up a multi-purpose space in a spare bedroom so I don't want to mount to the ceiling or take up too much space. Wild swinging of the bag isn't an option since there will also be computer equipment and musical instruments in the same room.

krkuhl - thanks for the heads up on the ones with water filled bases. I was looking at those and considering them. Do you think filling the base with sand to be a possible solution? I may have to limit myself to punching if the room limitations require it. As FantasticVSDoom said, I'd be missing out on a significant part of the intent though.
Old 03-29-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Get married?
Too late .... 15 years too late as of next month.