Reload this Page >

does your bank charge you fees?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-27-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i log into my bank of america account today and wtf...$20 fee? where the hell did this come from?

i called them up and she says its because i did not maintain a certain balance for the last month or day or whatever it was (even though in my COMBINED accounts with them i was way over that balance).

is there ANY REASON AT ALL to stay with a bank that charges fees for simply chosing to keep my money with them? there are 1000 other banks - do they all charge fees?

anyone have a good suggestion/recommendation for a bank? im looking for one with easy online billpay and easy for deposits (lots of atms).
Old 03-27-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mine charges a fee on savings accounts if they are below a certain amount
Old 03-27-07, 03:44 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine charges no fees to maintain an account. And I can use any ATM with no fees; I even get the fee charged by the other bank refunded by my bank.

www.tdbanknorth.com
Old 03-27-07, 04:04 PM

associated bank (exclusive to wisconsin?) charges $4/month to have an open savings account regardless of current balance. however, they do offer free checking, so go figure on that one.
Old 03-27-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by atari2600
i log into my bank of america account today and wtf...$20 fee? where the hell did this come from?

i called them up and she says its because i did not maintain a certain balance for the last month or day or whatever it was (even though in my COMBINED accounts with them i was way over that balance).

is there ANY REASON AT ALL to stay with a bank that charges fees for simply chosing to keep my money with them? there are 1000 other banks - do they all charge fees?

anyone have a good suggestion/recommendation for a bank? im looking for one with easy online billpay and easy for deposits (lots of atms).

Not sure how you handled your call with BOA but it should be very simple for you to get them to credit you back the fee and switch you in to another account with no fees.
Old 03-27-07, 04:09 PM

Credit Union. No fees.
Old 03-27-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I switched to Washington Mutual from my credit union because I was tired of not being able to find an ATM when I needed to. Washington Mutual started opening a tons of branches in the area, so I went for it. Free checking, free checks, free ATM withdrawals from any bank, rewards debit card, nice savings account interest rate. Can't ask for much more.
Old 03-27-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell them you're an illegal immigrant.
Old 03-27-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Credit Union. No fees.
Yep, I have not used a "bank" in 20 years. Credit Union is the only way to go.

I even like their Visa card. The interest rate sucks, but I have protested quite a few charges in the last year and they side with me everytime no question and I usually have my money back the same day I protest
Old 03-27-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Credit Union and a WAMU account. Both are without fees.
Old 03-27-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would call again. I have all of my account along with IRA at B of A which pushs me well over 30X their highest minimium balance requirement. Once, I was hit with charge and locally they credit it back along with small amount for the inconvenience.
Old 03-27-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Washington Mutual customer here with no fees.
Old 03-27-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I do understand your frustration, did you not read the terms & conditions associated with your account? If your account requires a minimum balance and you cannot maintain it, switch to a different account with a lower or no minimum.
Old 03-27-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had WaMu until they lost my wife's paycheck. I now have Wells Fargo--I don't pay fees their due to automatic deposit (I did have to pay for my checks though until I got a higher balance, so if you haven't had bad luck with them like me, WaMu is probably a good way to go).

If my bank was going to charge me for a low balance I'd change banks--there are lots of banks to go around. It may also be the type of account you have--if a bank doesn't have an option that I know I will be able to meet, I won't go there.

Also don't go to Bank of America no matter what they offer you. Sooner or later, they will screw you. People doubt me on this but eventually it happens to them.

Edit: Reread your post and saw it was B of A for you--no surprise here as they are EVIL.
Old 03-27-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No fees - Hancock Bank. We have multiple checking and savings accounts there.
Old 03-27-07, 06:54 PM

I use Dollar Bank, which I believe is local to the Pittsburgh area. I don't get charged a fee for anything. There probably is a fee to use an out of network ATM, but I never do that.

There's no reason to stay with a bank that charges fees. And credit unions are not the only choice.
Old 03-27-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

USAA
Old 03-27-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No fees for Wachovia which is my checking account.

My 7 savings accounts, due to rate chasing, all come with no fees.
Old 03-27-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BoA will refund the fees and move you to a no fee type of account if you ask them. You said you have a considerable balance altogether so they should be willing to do what it takes to keep you as a customer. I've never had a problem when I threaten to take my money elsewhere.
Old 03-27-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
No fees for Wachovia which is my checking account.

My 7 savings accounts, due to rate chasing, all come with no fees.
7 Savings accounts. What kind of interest are you getting on them?
Old 03-27-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd never use a bank that charged fees on my account.

I currently use Chase for checking and EmigrantDirect for savings.
Old 03-27-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JustinS
USAA
USAA here too. No fees and refund fees charged by ATMs.

And no, you should not stay at a bank that charges fees - there are too many other options. And regardless of the fees, you should not bank with B of A. Not only the worst bank I have every dealt with, but the worst company - and I have Comcast!
Old 03-28-07, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks for the replies - unfortunately most of these banks ive never heard of (i live in socal) but they might have branches around here. im going to go in and talk with a rep in person first but if that doesnt work i might try wamu though - heard good things.
Old 03-28-07, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Compass Bank, and have never been charged a fee. I don't know if that's because I have always had enough in the accounts, or if they just don't charge any. I will probably be switching over to a Credit Union pretty soon, though.
Old 03-28-07, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I have Compass Bank, and have never been charged a fee. I don't know if that's because I have always had enough in the accounts, or if they just don't charge any. I will probably be switching over to a Credit Union pretty soon, though.
I banked with Compass for many years, back before they changed their name even (they used to be "Central Bank of the South" but had to change their name when they wanted to expand out of the state of Alabama). They were my only bank all the way through college and I was pretty happy with them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.