Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Calvert, MD woman's life saved when dog performs Heimlich Maneuver on her

Old 03-27-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calvert, MD woman's life saved when dog performs Heimlich Maneuver on her

Woman Says Dog Saved Her by Performing Heimlich Maneuver
Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Toby, a 2-year-old golden retriever, really is man's best friend — or in this case, woman's.

Debbie Parkhurst, a 45-year-old jewelry artist who lives in Calvert, Md., says her dog Toby saved her life last week after she began to choke on a piece of apple by giving her the Heimlich maneuver, the Cecil Whig reported.

Parkhurst was home alone Friday afternoon eating a snack of sliced apples when one became lodged in her windpipe. After smacking herself against a chair to dislodge it, she started beating herself on the chest, which she thinks alerted Toby to the problem.

"The next think I know, Toby’s up on his hind feet and he’s got his front paws on my shoulders," she told the Cecil Whig. "He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest."

The apple eventually became loose and Toby started licking her face, possibly to keep her from passing out, Parkhurst said.

"I, literally, have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest," Parkhurst said. "I’m still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I’m OK."

A friend took Parkhurst to the doctor.

"The doctor said I probably wouldn’t be here without Toby," the married woman and owner of two dogs said. "I keep looking at him and saying ‘You’re amazing.’"

I'm not sure I buy this story. I think she was choking, and the dog wrapped its legs around this woman, and began to hump her. This in turn dislodged the apple slice. When I saw the headline, this is the first thing I thought of. I think that is what really happened.
Old 03-27-07, 02:58 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Awwwwwww.....

The dog probably kept it together when others would panic.
Old 03-27-07, 03:01 PM

Here is another story from Cecil Whig

A Calvert woman claims her 2-year-old golden retriever saved her life Friday by giving her the canine version of the Heimlich maneuver.

“The doctor said I probably wouldn’t be here without Toby,” said Debbie Parkhurst, 45, a jewelry artist who lives near Rising Sun High School with her husband, Kevin, and their two dogs. “I keep looking at him and saying ‘You’re amazing.’”

Parkhurst said she was home alone with the dogs Friday afternoon when she decided to snack on an apple.

Suddenly, she said, a chunk of the fruit became wedged in her windpipe.

“It was lodged pretty tight because I couldn’t breathe,” she said. “I tried to do the thing where you lean over a chair and give yourself the Heimlich, but it didn’t work.”

Parkhurst said she then began beating her chest, an action that might have attracted Toby’s attention.

“The next think I know, Toby’s up on his hind feet and he’s got his front paws on my shoulders,” she recalled. “He pushed me to the ground, and once I was on my back, he began jumping up and down on my chest.”

Toby’s jumping apparently managed to dislodge the apple from Parkhurst’s windpipe.

“As soon as I started breathing, he stopped and began licking my face, as if to keep me from passing out,” she said.

A friend soon arrived and, after witnessing the canine rescue, drove Parkhurst to the doctor’s office.

“I, literally, have pawprint-shaped bruises on my chest,” Parkhurst said. “I’m still a little hoarse, but otherwise, I’m OK.”

At first, Parkhurst thought Toby was simply trying to play.

Now she believes the golden retriever that she and her husband rescued from a Dumpster knew exactly what he was doing.

“I know it sounds a little weird, but I think he had a sense of what was happening,” Parkhurst said Monday. “Of all the dogs in the world, I never would have expected this goofy one here to know the Heimlich.”

As strange as Parkhurst’s story might sound, Toby’s actions actually followed the emergency measures recommended for choking victims by the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross.

Both agencies recommend first aid responders use a series of five back blows followed by a series of five abdominal thrusts, otherwise known as the “five and five.”

“I have no idea where he learned it from,” Parkhurst said. “But can tell you that I’m going to peel and mash my apples from now on.”

Debbie Parkhurst and her dog Toby, the 2-year-old golden retriever who she claims saved her life by performing a doggy version of the Heimlich, to dislodge a piece of apple stuck in her windpipe.

Pawprint bruises on the chest acutally would go a long way to back up her story. Perhaps that is what happened. When I saw the headline, I thought the dog tried to hump her, gotta read this. Then I saw her version, which I first thought was "cleaned up". But the Cecil Whig paper was a little more thorough and gives her claim further support.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 03-27-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-27-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I'm not sure I buy this story. I think she was choking, and the dog wrapped its legs around this woman, and began to hump her. This in turn dislodged the apple slice. When I saw the headline, this is the first thing I thought of. I think that is what really happened.
You possess an interesting thought process.
Old 03-27-07, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You possess an interesting thought process.
Call me crazy, but the Heimlich isn't pushing someone on their back and jumping up and down on them. Its bending them over slightly, wrapping your arms around their abdomen, and pumping their stomach.

Heimlich:

Dog humping:

I dunno, looks a lot the same to me. Not too far fetched, eh?
Old 03-27-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much of a dog lover as I am, this just doesn't ring true to me. If anything, I could imagine the lady falling on the floor and the dog playfully jumping on her - but to suppose that the dog had any clue that it was doing a life-saving action is a stretch. I'd guess that the dog wanted the piece of apple.
Old 03-27-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I smell bullshit.
Old 11-02-07, 04:58 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_N.htm?csp=34

Dog that performed Heimlich honored

NEW YORK (AP) — When Debbie Parkhurst choked on a piece of apple at her Maryland home, her dog jumped in, landing hard on her chest and forcing the morsel to pop out of her throat. When the Keesling family of Indiana was about to be overcome by carbon monoxide, their cat clawed at wife Cathy's hair until she woke up and called for help.

For their nick-of-time acts, Toby, a 2½-year-old golden retriever, and Winnie, a gray-eyed American shorthair, were named Dog and Cat of the Year by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

In addition, five humans were honored Thursday for their actions toward animals in the past year, including a Bronx firefighter who saved a dog and cat from a burning building.

Neither Parkhurst nor Keesling could explain their pets' timely heroics, though Parkhurst suggested her pooch's Heimlich maneuver might have been guided by divine intervention.

"That's what our veterinarian said," she said. "He wasn't making a joke; he's very spiritual, and now I have to agree with him."

Both pets were themselves rescued in infancy — Toby as a 4-week-old puppy tossed into a garbage bin to die, and Winnie as a week-old orphan hiding under a barn, so helpless that Keesling's husband, Eric, had to feed her milk with an eyedropper.

As the Keeslings recalled it, a gas-driven pump being used to remove flood waters from their basement in New Castle, Ind., last March malfunctioned, spreading carbon monoxide through the house. By the time Winnie moved into rescue mode, the couple's 14-year-old son, Michael, was already unconscious.

"Winnie jumped on the bed and was clawing at me, with a kind of angry meow," Cathy Keesling said. "When I woke up I felt like a T-bar had hit me across the head."

State police and sheriff's officers responding to her 911 call said the family was only minutes from death, judging by the amount of poisonous gas in the house.

Debbie Parkhurst's husband, Kevin, was at his job at a Wilmington, Del., chemical firm when she took a midday break from making jewelry and bit into an apple.

"Normally I peel them, but I read in Good Housekeeping magazine that the skin has all the nutrients, so I ate the skin, and that's what caused me to choke," she recalled.

"I couldn't breathe and I was in panic when Toby jumped on me. He never does that, but he did, and saved my life."

Both Toby and Winnie accompanied their owners to the awards luncheon at Manhattan's posh Rainbow Room atop Rockefeller Center.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

Chris
Old 11-02-07, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I smell bullshit.
You sir, would be wrong. He is now Dog of the Year!

Chris
Old 11-02-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They've already made a movie

Old 11-02-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster
As much of a dog lover as I am, this just doesn't ring true to me. If anything, I could imagine the lady falling on the floor and the dog playfully jumping on her - but to suppose that the dog had any clue that it was doing a life-saving action is a stretch. I'd guess that the dog wanted the piece of apple.
And Digby contemplated how much he loved salt.
Old 11-02-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
You sir, would be wrong. He is now Dog of the Year!

Chris
And if this woman goes on to do anything great, he will be the 11th dog to change the world!