Reload this Page >

What defines Anti Social?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-27-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I never understood is folks that have their lives setup to the point that being alone for few minutes freaks them out and they actually have to deal with whats on their mind. I'm likely overboard, when I'm done for the day I like my private time so 50/50 I say. By this point I'm done with the outside world, hearing its noises just annoys the hell out of me. Even hallway doors that slam.

Thats why summer is so hard you have to turn on the A/C to get any peace. I also dont like rooms or conversations with more then three people. Too much showing off and you dont really get the see the real person.

Reading about these state parks that already feel human development encroaching on them and just seeing what has happened to my once beautiful little town now with all the cookie cutter housing I really ponder 100 years from now if any personal space in this world is possible at the rate we are breeding. I dont feel I am better then others or more worthy of room, yet I like my space.

Is this normal?

I'm I lost cause?

Should I move out into the middle of montana and live in hut in the mountains?

Will someone bring me cookies?
Old 03-27-07, 11:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Chat with Wergo. That'll cheer you up.
Old 03-27-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please stop posting on my screen. This is my alone time.
Old 03-27-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno, sometimes I cannnot stand going out to public places because people are idiots. Just listening to some of these peoples conversations or people arguing with their kids or significant others in public drives me nuts.
Old 03-27-07, 11:46 AM

It seems like nobody is social anymore. Everywhere I go, everybody's self-involved in some way: listening to their iPod, talking on their cell phone, wacking off, etc.
Old 03-27-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have often be labeled as anti-social. Mostly it is because I just prefer to keep to myself and if I do not know someone I am not eager to begin the introductions. I generally do not like to speak to people unless necessary. I despise total strangers who when walking by, choose to treat me to greetings or make comments about the weather.

I don't like neighborhood gatherings or parties, I would prefer to watch a movie or play a PC game. I don't like being told to meet/greet/speak to a total stranger as a way of kicking off yet another lame training class.

To some it is anti-social. Since I do not want or expect others to interact with me unless necessary, it is perfectly normal.
Old 03-27-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a chameleon. I can sit at home, alone, for days and be fine. I can also be surrounded by people, and actively engage them, for days and be fine. Most of my amusement comes from my own thoughts, so the exterior situation is irrelevant.
Old 03-27-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

I have often be labeled as anti-social.

I don't like neighborhood gatherings or parties, I would prefer to watch a movie or play a PC game. I don't like being told to meet/greet/speak to a total stranger as a way of kicking off yet another lame training class.

To some it is anti-social. Since I do not want or expect others to interact with me unless necessary, it is perfectly normal.

I feel like I'm looking in a mirror....
Old 03-27-07, 01:25 PM

Hmm.. that definately is not normal. You should talk to someone about it.
Or move to NYC. You'll hear the noises so much, that you get desensitized and you don't hear it anymore.
Old 03-27-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think sometimes people convince themselves that they like to be alone all the time when in fact they just have a hard time being in social situations and meeting others... I mean of course everyone wants alone time. I would kill to have a weekend every now and then all by myself. But I also know that I crave companionship and being around others, especially my friends and family. And whenever I say, Im going to stay in the house and not leave for the weekend, in about 8 hours, I start to get cabin fever and need to get out.
Old 03-27-07, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I think sometimes people convince themselves that they like to be alone all the time when in fact they just have a hard time being in social situations and meeting others...
I agree 100%
Old 03-27-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I think sometimes people convince themselves that they like to be alone all the time when in fact they just have a hard time being in social situations and meeting others... I mean of course everyone wants alone time. I would kill to have a weekend every now and then all by myself. But I also know that I crave companionship and being around others, especially my friends and family. And whenever I say, Im going to stay in the house and not leave for the weekend, in about 8 hours, I start to get cabin fever and need to get out.
I think there's something to this and I think I fall into this group. But I also love the freedom i have by not having to deal with lots of people in my life so it's an interesting mix.
Old 03-27-07, 04:48 PM

I'd rather not deal with anything that deals with people. I mean it, it's become such a hassle that I literally get a headache sometimes if I'm in a busy store. The hussle and bussle of everyday life is a pain in the ass. I think I belong in a different time. I'd say it's normal to feel this way about it, because everyone's different and we all have different personalities. Some people just don't like screaming kids, police sirens, cars honking, people talking on their cell phones ad nauseum, long lines, etc.
Old 03-27-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read the book "Bowling Alone."
Old 03-27-07, 06:52 PM

You're a train ride to no importance
You're in love with hell existence
Money is all that you desire
Why don't you pack it in and retire
It's common nature you can't fool me
I'm just the money that you can't let free
Rainy day genius clouds your mind
Don't you realize the blind lead the blind

You're anti, you're antisocial

Oh mister time will you ever unwind
Or just rebuild a new design
Your claim to fame is low and order
The rich get rich, the poor get poor
You put a price tag on what you see
This one's for you, that's for me
If that's winning I'd rather lose
Why don't you listen to my senseless views

How do you feel ?

You're a train ride to no improtance
You're in love with hell existence
Money is all that you desire
Why don't you pack it in and retire
It's common nature you can't fool me
I'm just the money that you can't let free
Rainy days genius clouds your mind
Don't you realize the blind lead the blind

ANTISOCIAL...
Old 03-27-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think there is difference and pretty big leap to assume someone wants peace and quiet at times vs being called anti community.
I guess to be a human being now you have to love crying babies, screaming kids, yelling teenagers, beeping horns, property lines so close you may as well call it condos and ton of people around you all the time.

I see these woman with their extreme opinions here during lunch chatting it up everyday and what they say goes. The raised 5-8 kids, think they are the center of the universe and have 30 plus friends. To me I think it masks a carefully layed way to never deal with issues that pop in your head when your alone for abit.
Old 03-27-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

People are all different. Some like their lives really busy, some like it quiet as hell and some like a bit of both. I'm one of the middle people, leaning towards the quiet end. I need my alone time. If I have to hang around people for too long, I start getting all mean and nasty. Give me a few hours in a closet and I'm all back to the normal, smiley sol...
Old 03-27-07, 08:09 PM

I think everyone to an extent is a bit anti-social. There are times I would rather be alone and avoid the family gatherings al together. I enjoy the peace and quiet of my home so do my kids. Both of them enjoy the quiet time. Though we live in NYC there isnt a quiet place.As a writer I find the quietness at home is the best of all places..
Old 03-27-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

masturbating more then socializing?
Old 03-27-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by M2theAX
masturbating more then socializing?
Just do that in public and you wont be anti-social anymore.

Old 03-27-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if mankind can make it for another 100 years, a pandemic and/or famine should take care of any thoughts of over population and the loss of personal space. So cheer up!

I get a lot of my social interaction from work, and that's about enough for me. I have a good friend that I sometimes do things with, but depending on how much I've worked, sometimes going out to a movie or to the book store or something can be exhausting. I like to come home and spend time with my dog and just relax and watch a little TV, work on my hobbies, or whatever.

Before I had my dog, I recall one week I had off from work and at my second job they didn't schedule me until like Friday night. So I was off for four full days and Friday morning by myself. I was full on groceries, so didn't need to go out shopping. I stayed home all day every day for that week, and by the time I went into work, it almost felt a little strange talking to people at first when I got there. It's rare I get time off like that.
Old 03-27-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a great article in the most recent edition of "Psychology Today" (March/April) about introverts. I identified with much of the article, and I think it speaks to some of your questions. I'm too lazy to go get it from my car and post the important parts...but suffice to say, you should pick up a copy.

-p
Old 03-27-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always thought the meaning of anti-social was more in line with misanthrope. Like you would rather destroy a public meeting space than inhabit it with others.
Old 03-27-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madara

Is this normal?

I'm I lost cause?

Should I move out into the middle of montana and live in hut in the mountains?

Will someone bring me cookies?
No, you shouldn't move out into the boonies, but you would be one of the few roommates I would want to live with.

I enjoy my peace as well. People say I'm very outgoing at work but they don't understand I also want "my time".
Old 03-27-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spending time at DVD Talk: Other.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.