Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC Next Year, General Advice Needed

Other Talk "Otterville"

Moving to NYC Next Year, General Advice Needed

Old 06-29-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exm
Did you check Hoboken at all? Don't forget that rents might be a tad higher here, but you don't pay city taxes and NJ income taxes...

We haven't actively searched jersey as yet, mostly due to time restrictions but we have both pretty much mentally moved into Astoria. Now we just have to get it done. Nothing is out of the question yet, so NJ might get a look.
Old 06-29-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by db27
What area do you live in? We looked all around between ditmars and broadway and really enjoyed it. Apt we looked at was on 31 and crescent.
corner of Steinway Street and Astoria Blvd... Little Egypt.
Old 06-29-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DB27, there's always Jersey City...
Old 06-30-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
corner of Steinway Street and Astoria Blvd... Little Egypt.
You're not that far from the train. That's a pretty good location, actually. I used to live on 46th St. and 20th Ave. What are you complaining about?
Old 06-30-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You're not that far from the train. That's a pretty good location, actually. I used to live on 46th St. and 20th Ave. What are you complaining about?
Its not too far from the NW... Unfortunately I have to take the R or V to work.
Old 07-30-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update

It took several trips down to the city over the course of the last couple months, but today we signed a lease and have keys in hand to our new apt in Astoria, NY !!! We are both wicked excited, love our new place, and are so far very happy with Astoria in general. We are 2 blocks from the Astoria Blvd train station (and the tasty neptune diner)!

Did some test runs of the train to find out the best method of getting to NYU, seems it is about 30 mins anyway we cut it. Of course, we will have plenty of oppurtunity for her to figure it all out.

Anyways, just thought I'd provide some closure to anyone that actually cared or participated in this thread. Thanks very much to everyone for their advice and help! Now that we're going to be living here I'm sure we'll need all sorts of more info eventually!
Old 07-31-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats man. When I graduate college I'll be moving back home to Staten Island with the family and begin looking at apartments nearby Astoria as well. I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.

DVD Talk 4 lyfe.
Old 07-31-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Congratulations... I'm going to be looking for a new place soon. I'm not looking forward to it.
Old 07-31-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Congratulations... I'm going to be looking for a new place soon. I'm not looking forward to it.
Did that stupid dog attack you again?
Old 07-31-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
Did that stupid dog attack you again?
Heh, no... I actually haven't even seen that dog since the attack.

My lease is up in a few months and I want to move out of my neighborhood. Although now someone that needs to move September 1 wants to look for a place with me, so I'm considering subletting my apartment so I can do that.

In short: ugh.
Old 07-31-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the neighborhood!! Need any advice or anything, feel free to ask or once youve made it, let us know and if I can help in any way. Good luck!
Old 07-31-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh, no... I actually haven't even seen that dog since the attack.

My lease is up in a few months and I want to move out of my neighborhood. Although now someone that needs to move September 1 wants to look for a place with me, so I'm considering subletting my apartment so I can do that.

In short: ugh.
That sounds like a big headache for a couple of months. Why not have the other dude stay with you until your lease is up? New York sounds like an awesome place to live apart from actually finding a place to live.
Old 07-31-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
That sounds like a big headache for a couple of months. Why not have the other dude stay with you until your lease is up? New York sounds like an awesome place to live apart from actually finding a place to live.
My place is a one-bedroom in Brooklyn and this guy currently lives in Manhattan.
Old 07-31-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My place is a one-bedroom in Brooklyn and this guy currently lives in Manhattan.
I know this post contains pertinent information, but I still don't understand the problem.
Old 07-31-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Welcome to the neighborhood!! Need any advice or anything, feel free to ask or once youve made it, let us know and if I can help in any way. Good luck!

Thanks very much to everyone, we are relieved and excited to have the place locked down. Can't wait to move in and start exploring!
Old 08-01-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by db27
Thanks very much to everyone, we are relieved and excited to have the place locked down. Can't wait to move in and start exploring!
Just be sure to not shout your sig when you are exploring late at night. Drunk dudes may not pick up on the difference between red and white.
Old 08-01-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
My sisters been living up there on shit pay for about 18 months now and seems to be pulling through alright, I'm kind of envious of you NYC folks, seems like a great place to live*

* and by that, I mean a couple years out of college without having to raise a family
Old 09-01-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just when you thought I wouldn't bump this again......

everything is going well, still on the job hunt but that will come through eventually (sooner than later please!) My lady starts school this week, we have been exploring and what not and are enjoying life in the city quite a lot thus far. Really like our place, Astoria is a pretty cool area and perfect for our needs.

However, I do not have ESPN so I need suggestions on where to watch Monday Night Football!!! Prefer here in Astoria, but would take any NYC suggestions. I haven't had the chance to go to any bars yet in Astoria, but being such a European area I'm not sure I could find the NFL.

Thanks.