Reload this Page >

Moving to NYC Next Year, General Advice Needed

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Moving to NYC Next Year, General Advice Needed

Old 03-21-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Everybody has to pay their dues when they first come to New York.

OP: Just keep this thread active. If you have a question about a neighborhood, ask. What price range are you looking at? If you can afford up to $1500, you'll be able to find a decent place within a decent commuting distance. But, there's a reason why prices go down the further away you get from the train.
Queens or Jersey might be feasible compromises. But, commuting (to NYU) every day can be a real pain. Alas, the lower east side and even nearby Brooklyn aren't what they were just a few years ago. The rental market has gone up significantly in recent years, and it will not be heading back down.
Old 03-21-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good luck, you seem a bit inexperienced about NYC so its probably good that you started this discussion. Check nofeerentals.com or rockrosenyc.com. I would echo that living in Astoria is nice as I know people who do who love it. Also, after I finished NYU undergrad and moved out of the dorms I lived in Hoboken which was a pretty good value. Unfortunately I've been out of the entry level apartment business for a few years and now roughing it to me is living east of Park. As for saftey, everywhere in Manhattan is safer than it was 10-15 years ago, I would recommend going no east of Avenue C in the east village and avoid going above 100th street on the east side.
Old 03-21-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drmoze
Queens or Jersey might be feasible compromises. But, commuting (to NYU) every day can be a real pain. Alas, the lower east side and even nearby Brooklyn aren't what they were just a few years ago. The rental market has gone up significantly in recent years, and it will not be heading back down.
Everyone says Astoria is going to be the next hot neighborhood, but they've been saying that for years. The only downside to Astoria for the OP is that the W train sucks.

I'd tell him to stay out of Brooklyn. The trains suck and it's overpriced. We're considering moving back to Astoria after this year.

Still, with this city's fucked-up rental market and the projected increase in population, finding a decent, affordable apartment is just going to keep getting harder.
Old 03-21-07, 11:28 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
I always recommend the neighborhood I used to live in/near. NE Queens is a lot like Nassau Cty (the suburbs) and less like the urban center of the city, but with lower cost of living. Bayside, Douglaston and Little Neck are solid towns to look at. I have no idea what the rents are like because I owned a Co-Op in Little Neck, but I loved the area compared to some of the really crowded areas of the city. It's on the Long Island Railroad, Port Washington line (which means you never have to transfer in Jamaica if you take the RR). My commute was about 1:15 a day. It beats my cousin who lives in Sayville out on LI and commutes over 2 hours each way. If your coming from the quiet VT area, it might be something to consider.
Old 03-21-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
I always recommend the neighborhood I used to live in/near. NE Queens is a lot like Nassau Cty (the suburbs) and less like the urban center of the city, but with lower cost of living. Bayside, Douglaston and Little Neck are solid towns to look at. I have no idea what the rents are like because I owned a Co-Op in Little Neck, but I loved the area compared to some of the really crowded areas of the city. It's on the Long Island Railroad, Port Washington line (which means you never have to transfer in Jamaica if you take the RR). My commute was about 1:15 a day. It beats my cousin who lives in Sayville out on LI and commutes over 2 hours each way. If your coming from the quiet VT area, it might be something to consider.
If he's not interested in actually moving to "the city" it's not a bad idea. Hopefully the increased communting costs would be offset by cheaper housing.
Old 03-21-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

jersey city
Old 03-21-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im so glad when we moved here, we didnt end up in Brooklyn... I hate going there. Do the trains ever make it to Manhattan on the weekends? And I dont think its any cheaper than Manhattan anymore. Sure Queens is pretty much the "burbs" of NYC, but places like Astoria and Jackson Heights even offer a little bit in the way of urban living. If you move out farther in Queens though, you may want to think about keeping your car. Even in Astoria (although parking is a major pain in the ass) it could be something to get you out of the city once in a while.
Old 03-21-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greydt
The fear of New York is generally an irrational fear. For example, I have zero desire to travel in the south because, of course, most likely some rednecks will kill "the chinaman"
We don't do that anymore since we ran into this guy:
Old 03-21-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everyone says Astoria is going to be the next hot neighborhood, but they've been saying that for years. The only downside to Astoria for the OP is that the W train sucks.

I'd tell him to stay out of Brooklyn. The trains suck and it's overpriced. We're considering moving back to Astoria after this year.

Still, with this city's fucked-up rental market and the projected increase in population, finding a decent, affordable apartment is just going to keep getting harder.
I lived in Astoria for 2 years too. First it was close to the N train, then the F/R train. I liked the neighborhood, but I didn't like all the narrow/dirty streets. It is fairly safe though.

Brooklyn subway doesn't suck, it just depends on where you live. I hear that the F train do suck, I live on the A/C and the G train so I am pretty well covered depending on where I need to go. I don't have any problems unless they have contruction and reroute all the trains on weekends, which sucks no matter where you are.
Old 03-21-07, 04:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If your budget is around 2k then Forest Hills is a great spot (much nicer than Astoria).

Whats your budget?
Old 03-21-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Im so glad when we moved here, we didnt end up in Brooklyn... I hate going there. Do the trains ever make it to Manhattan on the weekends?
What? You must live in the city, typical Manhattan-ites who have fear traveling outside of the city. It is not inconvenient to live in Brooklyn (or Queens) at all, and we go out to the city every weekend and there is no problem with the trains. I don't know what you are talking about. In fact, it takes me less time to get to work (53rd/3rd) than my coworkers who live on the west side (56/11th) because he had to transfer bus, then to train just to get across manhattan.

There is a huge price/room difference too living in Manhattan vs. in Brooklyn/Queens, for the same amount of money, you get at least another bedroom (or 2), and MUCH BIGGER space. I know Brooklyn Heights is very expensive nowadays because it is so close to the city and has alot of restaurants, shops, etc (almost like living in the city) but aside from those few areas, almost anywhere in Brooklyn/Queens is much much cheaper.
Old 03-21-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lastblade
What? You must live in the city, typical Manhattan-ites who have fear traveling outside of the city. It is not inconvenient to live in Brooklyn (or Queens) at all, and we go out to the city every weekend and there is no problem with the trains. I don't know what you are talking about. In fact, it takes me less time to get to work (53rd/3rd) than my coworkers who live on the west side (56/11th) because he had to transfer bus, then to train just to get across manhattan.

There is a huge price/room difference too living in Manhattan vs. in Brooklyn/Queens, for the same amount of money, you get at least another bedroom (or 2), and MUCH BIGGER space. I know Brooklyn Heights is very expensive nowadays because it is so close to the city and has alot of restaurants, shops, etc (almost like living in the city) but aside from those few areas, almost anywhere in Brooklyn/Queens is much much cheaper.

Boy have you got him pegged wrong.
Old 03-21-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
If your budget is around 2k then Forest Hills is a great spot (much nicer than Astoria).

Whats your budget?
And how long is that commute? Again, it's not just transportation costs (which is actually not bad, considering an unlimited monthly pass for subways and buses is just $76), but the time you lose doing the 2-way commute. I estimate the trip from Forest Hills to downtown NYU to be over an hour each way, so that is well over 2 hours per day that is lost to commuting.
Old 03-21-07, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
We don't do that anymore since we ran into this guy:

Originally Posted by db27
I know my fear is irrational, it's exactly as you describe. However, it just comes down to the fact that nothing bad happens in Vermont (at least rarely) and so I'm just not used to it. It is a bit daunting for me to grasp. We get the NY news up here and they report at least one murder a day. Usually in Vermont we have like 5 a year.

Well, I'll join in with vegasbaby to convince you to take a look at Forest Hills.

Here's a walkthrough of my neighborhood on Austin Street (my section is actually the middle part of the pictures):
http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/b...inst/index.htm
Yes, I live not close to one, but TWO Italian ice stores! :P Also, Peter Parker lives in Forest Hills - you see Tobey McGuire run across one of the streets here in the first movie.
It doesn't show it in the pics, but we also have numerous stores and restaurants (Gap, Banana Republic, Gamestop, etc), at least 5-6 banks, 2 movie theaters, a gym (New York Sports Club), 4 supermarkets, etc. all within 3-4 blocks of each other.
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hills,_Queens

It's also around a 20-minute bicycle ride to Flushing Meadows Park - love riding up there during the spring/summer.

We can be reached by the Queens bound E, F, R, V trains (E & F are express). 2-3 subways stops from Forest Hills are even larger shopping areas in Rego Park and the Queens Mall.

Yeah, I sound like a bit of a travel brochure . Still, I think you might end up finding us actually being cheaper than Astoria.
Old 03-21-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lastblade
What? In fact, it takes me less time to get to work (53rd/3rd) than my coworkers who live on the west side (56/11th) because he had to transfer bus, then to train just to get across manhattan.
Relax Lipstick bldg.
Old 03-21-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by greydt

Yeah, I sound like a bit of a travel brochure . Still, I think you might end up finding us actually being cheaper than Astoria.
That is what I'm looking for, I really appreciate your post! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Vegasbaby
Whats your budget?
Honestly we don't know at this point, it will depend on what kind of job I can land once we are down there, I suspect however that we may be able to get around 1600 or so, it's just up in the air. Bunch of variables.

Originally Posted by neimame
Good luck, you seem a bit inexperienced about NYC so its probably good that you started this discussion. Check nofeerentals.com or rockrosenyc.com. I would echo that living in Astoria is nice as I know people who do who love it. Also, after I finished NYU undergrad and moved out of the dorms I lived in Hoboken which was a pretty good value. Unfortunately I've been out of the entry level apartment business for a few years and now roughing it to me is living east of Park. As for saftey, everywhere in Manhattan is safer than it was 10-15 years ago, I would recommend going no east of Avenue C in the east village and avoid going above 100th street on the east side.

Indeed very inexperienced, I knew a lot of you were in the area. I always get lots of great help on this forum. Appreciate your post. I'll be occassionally bumping this thread up for the next 8-10 months to get more info on questions I have Real people are way more helpful then guides and brochures.

Originally Posted by drmoze
That is a PROJECT on FLATBUSH AVE. If you couldn't figure that out right away, then you need more help than this forum can give you (and you should stay away from NYC because you wouldn't last a week here).

Seriously, you will not find a decent apartment in a decent/safe neighborhood within reasonable commutable distance for anywhere close to $1000/mo. If there was such a beast, it would be long gone, snapped up by someone more in tune with the local scene than you are. You will have to seriously compromise on one or more factors.BTW, you're gonna love it here. Just like Vermont. Did you catch the news just this past weekend, where a guy went on a rampage in the Village (right in the middle of the Bleeker St. area, a popular NYU hangout scene with many bars/restaurants), where the guy shot a bartender--unprovoked--about 15 times, ran into the street, was approached by 2 unarmed campus-type cops, pursued and killed them both before being shot dead in the street by real cops? Check out the local news section of the NY Post website for lots more of the local action.....
I really appreciate your post, but I think this forum can help me and so far has done so. Sure I have never even seen what projects are, nor have I heard of Flatbush. This is why I'm starting well over a year in advance trying to learn anything I can to make moving there a better situation for us. Maybe I won't last a week, but I'm willing to try.

And yep, I saw that in the NY Post, and yep it scares the Fuck out of me. However, it could have happened anywhere I guess. Just hard to think of it that way.

Not sure why you need to be so condescending though.

But again, all information is helpful, and I appreciate everyone who has been involved in this thread so far.

Thanks

Last edited by db27; 03-21-07 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-21-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what can you fine people tell me about staten island? I found what "Appear" to be nice apts in a place called Seaview Estates on 201 Hamilton Ave.

I google earthed the address and it "looks" nice, well at least there are trees

Thanks!
Old 03-21-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're looking for a place in relatively easy commuting distance to NYU, Staten Island is not it.
Old 03-21-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boy have you got him pegged wrong.
ha ha ha, yeah...

I do live in Queens (Astoria) and would never live in Manhattan. My comment about Brooklyn is that I can never get back into the city from there, let alone back to Queens. The G is never running, and the other lines always seem to have "problems". My favorite place in NYC is Brooklyn Heights (we were basically on our way to living there) but the issues with the trains have soured me to the borough.

Forrest Hills is pretty nice as well, and would definitely check it out. If moving didnt suck so much, the wife and I would probably move there when our lease was up.
Old 03-21-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're looking for a place in relatively easy commuting distance to NYU, Staten Island is not it.
Can you elaborate for me please?
Old 03-21-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really really like what I have seen online about Forest Hills. It has this vibe about it that seems to fit me. Checked rent.com and prices range but are reasonable for sure.

Any idea what the travel time by train or whatever would be to the city (NYU for example) assuming normal conditions.
Old 03-21-07, 11:29 PM

Can you elaborate for me please?

There's only two ways to get to Staten Island for NYC/outer boroughs:

- Staten Island Ferry that goes between SI and Manhanttan
- the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge that goes between SI and Brooklyn (you also have to pay a toll for the bridge)

Otherwise, there's no mass transit going into SI (although perhaps there's buses - I don't know too much about SI).

If you look at the subway map:
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm
Staten Island is the bottom of the map that's blocked off by the Key

Any idea what the travel time by train or whatever would be to the city (NYU for example) assuming normal conditions.
If you look at the above subway map link, starting from Forest Hills, 71 Ave, you will have access to:

Express: E, F
Local: R, V

There's a huge variety of ways to get to NYU:
direct local: R to 8th Street
direct express: F to W 4th Street + some walking
with transfers: E train to Lex, 6 to Astor
etc.
(there's variations, like hopping from the E to the R train at Queensboro Plaza, etc. you'll develop your own path as time goes on

As a comparison, it takes me 45 minutes to go from my apartment door to 34th and Park avenue (office), which is generally E train to Lex, transfer to 6 downtown to 33rd st.
To get to NYU, that would be 4 more stops downtown from me, so that might be another 5-10 minutes.
Taking the local (R or V) will add another 10-15 minutes to your trip, but you will more than likely be able to sit through the whole trip. (since Forest Hills is the first stop for both of these local trains) Sometimes it's worth it
The express trains will take 20 minutes to get into the city.

Of course, it depends on the trains, speed, luck, etc. I've gotten home in 30 minutes at times. Other times, there's problems like "sick passenger" or "police action" that might hold up the subways.

Besides subways, there's a variety of buses that go from Forest Hills into various parts of Manhattan (usually designated as "QM" buses). However, they cost more, run on a limited schedule, and have limited reach on what parts of Manhattan they go to. However, they are a good alternate transport in case there are problems with the subways (for example, heavy rain that might cause flooding in the subways)
Old 03-22-07, 12:07 AM

what can you fine people tell me about staten island? I found what "Appear" to be nice apts in a place called Seaview Estates on 201 Hamilton Ave.

I google earthed the address and it "looks" nice, well at least there are trees

Thanks!
Staten Island is in the middle of freaking nowhere.

if you want easy access to manhattan, brooklyn and queens are your best bets.

Last edited by vegasbaby; 03-22-07 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-22-07, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
ha ha ha, yeah...

I do live in Queens (Astoria) and would never live in Manhattan. My comment about Brooklyn is that I can never get back into the city from there, let alone back to Queens. The G is never running, and the other lines always seem to have "problems". My favorite place in NYC is Brooklyn Heights (we were basically on our way to living there) but the issues with the trains have soured me to the borough.

Forrest Hills is pretty nice as well, and would definitely check it out. If moving didnt suck so much, the wife and I would probably move there when our lease was up.
i have a 2/2 apartment in a luxury building for sale in forest hills if you get the nerve to pack your stuff. it aint cheap, but its a beautiful place.
Old 03-22-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Generally, the best neighborhoods are found at the very end of subway lines.

Ill stack up Pelham Bay (Pelham Bay Station, end of 6 line), Woodlawn (Woodlawn station, end of 4 line) and Fieldston (242nd St, end of 1 line) against any neighborhood in the entire city in terms of quality, quiet, and community. That 'end of subway line' bullshit is an urban legend perpetrated by transplants from Iowa too scared to leave midtown.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.