Reload this Page >

Let's talk Tokyo!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Let's talk Tokyo!

Old 03-08-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Let's talk Tokyo!

My wife and I are in desperate need of a "couple" vacation. After almost 8 years of marriage and two kids, we are due, since our last real trip together that didn't involve visiting parents was on our honeymoon.

My wife was an art history major and has travelled abroad before. She thinks I'd like London. I'm not big into historical culture - I far prefer the modern, and London has a good mix of the two. She doesn't think I'll like France, because I'm not a food aficionado nor do I really appreciate museums, sculpture and such. It's wasted on me.

My compromise is Japan, specifically Tokyo. The mix of ancient culture with ultra-modern is very appealing to me. Plus, I think it would be SO different from what we are used to that it would be fun.

This trip is probably almost a year away, but I want to get my ducks in a row as soon as I can. I can get us there, I just wondered of anyone had any suggestions on where to stay, where to visit, and what to do on a week-long trip.

The only thing I know I want to do is visit Akihabara for a day or so.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-07, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479756
think this guy is there...might want to pm him
Old 03-08-07, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by tropicana
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479756
think this guy is there...might want to pm him

Don't you work?
Old 03-08-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If your wife likes historical stuff, Kyoto would be even better than Tokyo. Lots of old buildings, temples, shrines, etc. But Tokyo does kick ass for ultramodern, and Akihabara is awesome. Unfortunately a week wouldn't really be enough time to hit both places and do them justice. At any rate, I think Japan is a great compromise, and you should both have a great experience there.
Old 03-08-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Expect to spend a LOT of money.

Then again, go pretty much anywhere outside the US and expect to pay a lot of money.

But Tokyo is really in a class of it's own in regards to price.
Old 03-08-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To see the old historical from Tokyo, you'll need to take a few days trips. I'd suggest Nikko and Kamakura. If you're willing to spend a night outside Tokyo, I'd also suggest Hakone for the hot springs and to see Mt Fuji.
Old 03-08-07, 10:58 PM

I second the Kyoto idea. I was there back in 1999 and that place was so modern yet had a bunch of historical temples. You are also closer to Nara(historical) and Osaka.

The train station in Kyoto was a architectural phenomenom.
Old 03-08-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
My wife and I are in desperate need of a "couple" vacation. After almost 8 years of marriage and two kids, we are due, since our last real trip together that didn't involve visiting parents was on our honeymoon.
Strangely, this sounds an awful lot like my cruise post, only I'd rather go where you're going.

Crap!
Old 03-08-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ellone
To see the old historical from Tokyo, you'll need to take a few days trips. I'd suggest Nikko and Kamakura..
Never been to Nikko but Kamakura is cool. Good place to visit if you stay in the general Tokyo area. They have a huge Buddha statue there (I think the only bigger one in Japan is in Nara).

To the OP, what activities would you enjoy while on vacation: shopping, amusement parks, relaxing at a hot springs resort perhaps? sightseeing (what kind of places do you like to see)? That might help in giving recommendations.
Old 03-09-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I woudl love to go there with my girlfrend we both REALLY want to go. We know absolutely no japanese or anything about places to visit, but think it would be really exciting to submerge ourselves there and pick up on some things.

Is it possible to get by on not knowing the language at all?
obviously it might be OK in major citys but I would feel unsecure not being able to ask for directions or hopsital or bathroom hehe.
Old 03-09-07, 12:26 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Expect to spend a LOT of money.

Then again, go pretty much anywhere outside the US and expect to pay a lot of money.

But Tokyo is really in a class of it's own in regards to price.
My cpa just came back and said it was not expensive at all, compared to any other countries, I guess the yen is not as strong against the dollar, what with .5% interest rates and all.
Old 03-09-07, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Excellent suggestions, thanks everyone!

I don't see us spending a lot on anything besides hotel, travel and souvenirs. So "cheap" things like sightseeing, eating in inexpensive places, and generally walking around are all things we'd be up for.

Glad to hear it's a good place to go - I really want to get the "best of both worlds" here.