Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Atkins diet beats out others in study....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Atkins diet beats out others in study....

Old 04-28-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Atkins diet beats out others in study....

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I eat a relatively fresh/unprocessed diet and I eat much more protein than I used to and fewer sugar/refined carbs.

I'm interested in eating less bread, etc. now. What are some good lunch ideas that don't include a sandwich? That's always where I get stuck.
Lettuce wrap it baby!! If In and Out Burger can do it ("Protein style") than you can do it with lean lunch meats and veggies. Jimmy Johns sandwich shop also offers such. When I go to Chapolte I get the salad.

I try to avoid the iceburg lettuce, but sometimes I grab it. I try to go romain. If I have to go iceburg then I try to throw in a little arugula. But even if you like a little mustard with it, these will generally hold up pretty well.
Old 04-28-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I eat a relatively fresh/unprocessed diet and I eat much more protein than I used to and fewer sugar/refined carbs.

I'm interested in eating less bread, etc. now. What are some good lunch ideas that don't include a sandwich? That's always where I get stuck.
This is hard for me just because I love sandwiches so much... I get the grass-fed ground beef from TJ or FD and make burgers with lettuce and tomato. Sometime we will even make spag sauce and load it up with lots of veggies and eat it like chili.
Old 04-28-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been on Atkins for a couple of months now, have dropped about 35 pounds (235 to 200). As far as the sandwich goes, either use lettuce or just forget about it. I take double cheeseburgers with no bun but with mustard, onions, and pickles, then cut them up on a salad then use basalmic vinegar dressing. Hey, it's a salad, so it's healthy!

That's maybe one meal a week though, my diet primarily consists of chicken, fish, and green vegetables (asparagus & green beans) fried in butter, and salads. And lots of eggs, maybe two to four a day.
Old 04-29-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I've been eating a lot more eggs on this diet.
Old 04-29-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't like eggs, so that's been difficult for me.
Old 04-29-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Oroweat Sandwich thins
Old 04-29-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Oroweat Sandwich thins

Probably too many carbs (16?)

These are good:

http://www.flatoutbread.com/
Old 04-29-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://brancrispbread.com/

I order these by the case! great for breakfast with some cream cheese, or make an open face sandwich. grind them up and put them in yogurt... the list goes on and on.
Old 04-29-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hail2dking View Post
Probably too many carbs (16?)

These are good:

http://www.flatoutbread.com/
Yeah, these are not for Atkins, but if you are looking to simply reduce the bread you eat. It is amazing how many calories are in bread, or in a bun, and how you really only want it to hold your burger together. For that situation, these things are great.
Old 04-29-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Crappy picture but:

The stuff is pretty good and it is only 5-6g net carbs per slice. They also have a "100% Whole Grain", which I don't like nearly as much.
Old 04-29-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A friend of mine was quite overweight and he went to see a nutritionist. He said the best advice that person gave him was go out and buy smaller plates, basically eat smaller portions. Just by doing that and also doing walking a few times a week he has lost a tremendous amount of weight.

I have lived and worked in several countries, US, France, Japan, Singapore, Australia. The absolute most common thing I notice when I am back in the US is the portion size. It is easily double the size of what you would get for a similar meal in European or Asian countries. I was always amazed by my friends in France who ate so much fatty meats, breads, pasta, etc... but were not over-weight, until I realized it was about portion size. Additionally people in the US tend to eat fast, I am one of them. This allows you to gram your gob with food without really feeling full, until it's too late. Slowing your eating down with a smaller portion has a profound effect on how your stomach communicates with your brain.

I have never been very overweight, but I have even started to control my portion size and I have noticed the benefits. I eat the same foods I love, just less of it.
Old 05-01-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

For most people to lose weight via exercise alone they have to work out 1 hour a day or more, every day.

Weight loss (and gain) comes from dietary changes.
Old 05-03-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

is it healthy to work out everyday?

also, are there any Atkin success stories here?
Old 05-03-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
is it healthy to work out everyday?

also, are there any Atkin success stories here?
Depends on your definition of working out... Going as hard as you can everyday? No. Doing something physical everyday? Yes.
Old 07-23-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dropped about 35 pounds with Atkins (230 to 195), then slowly worked myself off of it... and went up to 200 pounds.

Anyway, I was at the doctor yesterday for an annual physical and had some blood work done. After eating a ton of eggs and meat for about four months, my total cholesterol was 171 and my LDL was 101. I don't know what it was before, but these are "good" numbers.
Old 07-23-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I tried atkins years ago and lost weight, but it wasn't for me. It didn't really do anything to help train me how to eat after you were done with it. Since Feb. I have gone from about 270 to 220-225. I exercise some, but I did before as well. The difference is just eating a lot less, and not snacking. Sucks for a month, but then it becomes more of how you live. That's the magic pill for me, anyway.
Old 07-23-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice job!
Old 07-23-10, 03:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I find atkins to be very limiting in its all you can eat cheese, eggs meat diet

Count calories and have ANYTHING you want. Atkins for me and others I know knew was sustainable for like 2 months and then you wanna slam your face in a baked potato, bread, basically everything you deny yourself yu want...BADLY