Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Atkins diet beats out others in study....

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Atkins diet beats out others in study....

Old 03-08-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-08-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bf is currently on the Atkins diet. I wasn't happy about it, but I couldn't change his mind. And then something like this comes out and he feels justified in his choice of diet.
Old 03-08-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So he would say go to lunch with Kelly, order a hamburger and fries, and split it with her.

Then he would go home and get to bone one of the hottest women in the game, making me violently angry at the world.
And wish he was boning Sly Stallone.
Old 03-08-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read Atkins and then I read South Beach (as did my wife) and just did my own diet that had elements of both and still do. I went from 345 to 250 in about a year and have kept it there (ok, I bounced back to 255 or so) for the year or so since. My blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. are all excellent.

"Low-carb" really isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. If you think of it that way, it is easy to do and easy to maintain, at least in my experience.
Old 03-08-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Quasimodo
And wish he was boning Sly Stallone.
Boneless Sly Stallone:
Old 03-08-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ellone
My bf is currently on the Atkins diet. I wasn't happy about it, but I couldn't change his mind. And then something like this comes out and he feels justified in his choice of diet.
Why were you so unhappy about it?
Old 03-09-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by msdmoney
When you are seriously involved with someone on a particular diet, it affects you, often negatively, if your goal/expectation is to not modify your own diet.
Old 03-09-07, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by hahn
If you think about the world before industrialization and commercialization, heart attacks (and thus presumably heart diesease) was essentially non-existent. In fact, when you look at historical medical texts, there was pretty much no mention of heart disease or atherosclerosis...
Isn't at least part of this due to the fact that people died younger anyway - before they got old enough to show signs of heart disease?

Many diseases of middle/old age were probably not noticeably present in a population with an average life span in the thirties.
Old 03-09-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by msdmoney
If my wife went on it, it would be tough to go out and eat, and I would probably not be wild about what she cooked.
Old 03-09-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plus the fact that no part of BRAT is in atkins at least in beginning so you can end up with someone in bathroom 24/7 for long time.
Old 02-21-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Atkins diet beats out others in study....

I'm in the middle of a weight loss challange at work with 14 other guys, after four weeks I haven't lost anything so I started back onto Atkins four days ago. Lots of fish (tuna, sardines, anchovies), olives, pickles, salads, and olive oil. And I've pretty much finished a ham shank over the last four days. Plus two or three eggs per day.

For tomorrow's lunch, I plan on having half of a rotisserie chicken, an egg, five olives, and maybe a pickle. Yum!

Plus I can still have a glass of red wine each day, red wine is low in carbs.
Old 02-21-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
I'm in the middle of a weight loss challange at work with 14 other guys, after four weeks I haven't lost anything so I started back onto Atkins four days ago. Lots of fish (tuna, sardines, anchovies), olives, pickles, salads, and olive oil. And I've pretty much finished a ham shank over the last four days. Plus two or three eggs per day.

For tomorrow's lunch, I plan on having half of a rotisserie chicken, an egg, five olives, and maybe a pickle. Yum!

Plus I can still have a glass of red wine each day, red wine is low in carbs.
There's actually an active thread on diet and exercise

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-goals-21.html
Old 02-22-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by noonan4224 View Post
Exactly. I eat healthy at home but for lunch at work it's either fast food or a local pizza shop every day. I also go to the gym 4 days a week and am on a stationary bike for an hour every day. Diets are for people who are too lazy to stay in shape through exercise.
The typical person cannot burn enough calories at the gym to truly lose weight without altering food intake.

Meaning the ONLY way to lose weight is was a calorie deficit. Yes, you can get that by working out, but the vast majority of people greatly overestimate the calories they burn working out. For example, today I ran a 5k (3.10 miles) at the gym. And how many calories did that burn? About 540.

So what does 540 mean? First lets compare that to your fast food lunch. A McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese is 510 calories...by itself!!! That is before fries or real Coke (or milk shake). A large fry is 500 calories by itself! A medium thick shake is 580 calories. So when talking weight loss and weight loss only, eating any one of these three totally negates me running a 5k!

What about "over time". This past week I ran a 5k 3 times. About 1,600 calories burned. Not bad. But of course a pound is about 3,500 calories. I burned the equivalent of less than a 1/2 pound off.

Yes, of course if you have the time, you can burn more. When in training Michael Phelps eats over 10,000 calories per day! Of course he is working out 6-8 hours or more per day!!

This is the exact reason why people make new years resolutions to lose weight quite. They join a gym and "work their ass off" for 6 weeks and either don't lose weight or actually gain it. So they quite. Never thinking they need to alter the amount they eat.

If your eating 3,000 calories a day and start going to the gym 45 minutes a day 4-5 times a week you will not lose weight. In fact you will continue to gain weight (maybe gain it slower than before, but you will gain).
Old 02-22-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
Actually, you don't have to decrease your caloric intake. The Atkins diet works on the principle of not driving up your insulin levels from too much blood sugar at once. Insulin increases your fat storage and decreases fat utilization. It's driven up by increased blood glucose. It tells the body, hey, there's plenty of sugar so don't burn any fat because we can use the sugar for energy. At the same time it tells the body, if there's any leftover sugar, store it as fat. Fat and protein do not drive up your blood glucose levels the way carbs such as starch, and of course, sugar does.

The Atkins diet essentially normalizes the metabolism. That's the theory and it actually makes sound biological sense.
Sorry, don't buy it "in general". Meaning if your trying to "target" fat loss than sure there my be some fine tuning in there that can help with that. But IMO (and every major article I have read) indicates clearly to lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit.

For example, you could go on a cheese cake and ice cream diet and lose weight. So long as you kept a calorie deficit you would lose weight. You may not be healthy. You may have serious health issues. You may lose as much muscle as fat, but you will lose weight. And you likely couldn't keep it up long as it doesn't take much cheese cake and ice cream to get you into a calorie +. And you likely to always be hungry and fail. But you would lose weight while you did it.

The opposite it true as well. If you eat 4,000 calories of grilled, lean chicken breast, steamed veggies and oatmeal a day, you will gain weight. Now it would be damn hard for a person to eat 4,000 calories of this stuff because that would be a lot of food. But if you ate it without working out (to burn some of it off) your going to gain.
Old 02-22-10, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1st you are arguing with a 3 year old post

2nd people quit a gym, not quite
Old 02-22-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
The typical person cannot burn enough calories at the gym to truly lose weight without altering food intake.

Meaning the ONLY way to lose weight is was a calorie deficit. Yes, you can get that by working out, but the vast majority of people greatly overestimate the calories they burn working out. For example, today I ran a 5k (3.10 miles) at the gym. And how many calories did that burn? About 540.

So what does 540 mean? First lets compare that to your fast food lunch. A McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese is 510 calories...by itself!!! That is before fries or real Coke (or milk shake). A large fry is 500 calories by itself! A medium thick shake is 580 calories. So when talking weight loss and weight loss only, eating any one of these three totally negates me running a 5k!

What about "over time". This past week I ran a 5k 3 times. About 1,600 calories burned. Not bad. But of course a pound is about 3,500 calories. I burned the equivalent of less than a 1/2 pound off.

Yes, of course if you have the time, you can burn more. When in training Michael Phelps eats over 10,000 calories per day! Of course he is working out 6-8 hours or more per day!!

This is the exact reason why people make new years resolutions to lose weight quite. They join a gym and "work their ass off" for 6 weeks and either don't lose weight or actually gain it. So they quite. Never thinking they need to alter the amount they eat.

If your eating 3,000 calories a day and start going to the gym 45 minutes a day 4-5 times a week you will not lose weight. In fact you will continue to gain weight (maybe gain it slower than before, but you will gain).
I believe you're missing a crucial part of the calculation. That would be the calories you burn while recovering. When you build muscle, you burn more calories during the day even when you're doing nothing just maintaining that muscle. So there are more benefits to that workout than the 540 calories you burn there.
Old 02-22-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently became of the Paleo Diet, or specifically the Paleo for Athletes.

Is seems like a modified Atkins. I briefly thought about it, but it seemed like too much work.

(lean) meats, nuts, most veggies and fruits good. Dairy, legumes, tubers, salt, grains bad. Basically it is a hunter/gatherer diet, think of what a caveman would eat.

The "for athletes" part allows certain "bad" foods for a period after training.

http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Pal...liff_Notes.pdf
Old 02-22-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I believe you're missing a crucial part of the calculation. That would be the calories you burn while recovering. When you build muscle, you burn more calories during the day even when you're doing nothing just maintaining that muscle. So there are more benefits to that workout than the 540 calories you burn there.
We are having this discussion over in the Biggest Loser thread.

I am totally 100% on board that recovery and muscles burn calories even when not working out. What I have a time getting my head wrapped around, is how you do that WHILE losing weight?

1st. People vastly overestimate how much muscle they can pack on going to the gym 45 minutes a day 3-4 days a week. Over say 6-8 week what are you going to add. A pound or two of muscle? Three or four at the most? And if that is the case, just how many calories in the grand scheme of things does that burn when not at the gym? I would think we would be talking very small amounts.

(I'm not talking the bodybuilder who spend 3-4 hours a day every day at the gym. I'm talking "average Joe").

2nd. To gain muscle you must have calories and protein. Fat does NOT turn into muscle they are two different things. So if a person is trying to lose weight how do they "gain" muscle? You need the calories to "gain" whatever including muscle. Again, I think it is possible, but just how much, I'm not sure. Again, I think weight lifting is important. And I do it. But I still do a lot more cardio for weight loss. I get that you can be 5'10" 230 w/10% body fat and be in outstanding shape. May professional athletes are. But again, talking the average Joe. I think that lifting while trying to lose weight is important, but from a calorie burn stand point, just how much can it be? Again I think it would be minimal because of how few pounds of muscle you could add on a calorie deficit diet.

I'm still learning. And not the end all be all. I've been reading and researching. And after losing a lot of weight, not trying to lose another 15 pounds. So I'm fine tuning and trying different things.
Old 02-22-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, one of the reasons Atkins and Paleo are diets that are extremely successful and dont have limitations on the amount of food, is that they do deal with the hormonal effects (specifically insulin) of food on the body. Again, its not always about calories burned. Sure in the strictest sense of weight loss yes, but again the goal should be fat loss.
Old 02-22-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

i dropped a decent amount of weight with atkins (well, low carb, but closer to atkins than the other options) several years ago..
Im 6'1" and went from 212 to 168
it was really just more low carb, not really following any of their guidelines directly.. (atkins, southbeach, etc..)
of course, i was also working out at the time

but one thing about low carb, where i always knew it was working.. was when you are in ketosis, you know it..
Old 04-27-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scientific American: Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart
Old 04-27-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been doing TNT for a few weeks now (Men's Health modified version of Atkins) and have seen some pretty solid results. But basically any diet that says "eat a lot of meat and veggies, minors carbs before and/or immediately after workouts and cheat on the weekends." is fine by me That said, exercise (weights and sprinting) is one of the main aspects to it.

The reason the so called "meat" diets work is because they do keep you full. Carb heavy meals make me hungry again within 20 minutes, regardless of amount. Protein and/or Fiber heavy meals keep me full through the day. Reducing your options is, imo, a lot easier than studying labels to make sure things are balanced, plus I have a tendency to lie to myself (I'll justify a big lunch by saying I'll compensate with a small dinner, never happens.)

The best part of it so far has been the explaination of carb storage and burning process while getting to a state of minor ketosis. Stupid things I should have read about years ago. I will admit though, the first few days sucked (was tired as hell). But then again, this weird light headed issue I've had for a couple years now (doctors did nothing and cost me a damn arm and a leg -- pretty sure it is linked to my sugar intake) miraculously went away after week 2. Curious to see how my triglycerides level is doing.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-27-10 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I've been doing TNT for a few weeks now (Men's Health modified version of Atkins) and have seen some pretty solid results. But basically any diet that says "eat a lot of meat and veggies, minors carbs before and/or immediately after workouts and cheat on the weekends." is fine by me That said, exercise (weights and sprinting) is one of the main aspects to it.

The reason the so called "meat" diets work is because they do keep you full. Carb heavy meals make me hungry again within 20 minutes, regardless of amount. Protein and/or Fiber heavy meals keep me full through the day. Reducing your options is, imo, a lot easier than studying labels to make sure things are balanced, plus I have a tendency to lie to myself (I'll justify a big lunch by saying I'll compensate with a small dinner, never happens.)

The best part of it so far has been the explaination of carb storage and burning process while getting to a state of minor ketosis. I will admit though, the first few days sucked (was tired as hell).
This is pretty much what I do to a tee...
Old 04-28-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I eat a relatively fresh/unprocessed diet and I eat much more protein than I used to and fewer sugar/refined carbs.

I'm interested in eating less bread, etc. now. What are some good lunch ideas that don't include a sandwich? That's always where I get stuck.
Old 04-28-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I eat a relatively fresh/unprocessed diet and I eat much more protein than I used to and fewer sugar/refined carbs.

I'm interested in eating less bread, etc. now. What are some good lunch ideas that don't include a sandwich? That's always where I get stuck.
Substitute a tomato or an apple for the bread, add tuna salad for the filling, and you're good to go.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.