DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Postal regulators want 2-cent stamp hike - new 'forever stamp' plan (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/493701-postal-regulators-want-2-cent-stamp-hike-new-forever-stamp-plan.html)

mrpayroll 02-26-07 04:02 PM

Postal regulators want 2-cent stamp hike - new 'forever stamp' plan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070226/...e/postal_rates

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, Associated Press Writer
22 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A postal regulatory commission recommended a 2-cent increase in the cost of mailing a letter Monday and urged the Post Office to introduce a "forever" stamp valid for first-class postage even when rates rise.

The recommendation to increase postage to 41 cents was a penny less than the postal service had requested.

The commission recommended a 26-cent rate for post cards, also a penny less than the Post Office had sought.

The first ounce of a first-class mail would rise to 41 cents, but each additional ounce would cost 17 cents under the proposal. Currently, each additional ounce of first-class mail costs 24 cents.

The matter now goes back to the Board of Governors of the Postal Service for a decision on whether to accept the recommendation or ask the commission to reconsider. If the governors accept the recommendations the new rates could be implemented in 60 days.

A key part of the plan is the so-called forever stamp, which would allow consumers to hedge against future rate increases.

The stamp, which would not show a denomination, would sell for the first-class rate at the time of purchase and would remain valid for mailing permanently, even if rates increase.

That means folks who stocked up on forever stamps could say goodbye to those annoying 2-cent or 3-cent stamps that have to be added to letters every time rates go up.

For the average consumer, the most visible change would be the proposed increase to 41 cents for mailing letters, although the broad-ranging rate proposal covers a multitude of types of mail.

Letters, cards, bill payments and other first-class mail items have been declining in recent years as people turn to the Internet. At the same time, there has been an increase in advertising mail.

And Postmaster General John E. Potter has pointed out that "the Postal Service is not immune to the cost pressures affecting every household and business in America."

For example, each penny increase in the price of a gallon of gasoline costs the post office $8 million, and the post office cannot simply add a fuel surcharge to its rates.

Proposed rate changes included:

_Express Mail, flat rate up from $14.40 to $16.25.

_Three-ounce barcoded bank statement, down from 73.9 cents to 58.4 cents

_Bulk-mailed weekly newsmagazine, up from 18.5 cents to 20.6 cents.

_Household magazine, up from 28.9 cents to 33.6 cents.

_Postcard, up from 24 cents to 26 cents.

The cost of a first-class stamp went from 37 cents to 39 cents in January 2006. Before that, the price had been unchanged since 2002.

___

On the Net:

U.S. Postal Service: http://www.usps.com

This is one thing that has always pissed me off. They raise the rates 1 or cents every couple of years, when they could raise it a higher amount and then not raise it for 4 or 5 years. This so called 'forever stamp' sounds like an even better idea. :thumbsup:

Chris

Bushdog 02-26-07 04:09 PM

If there is no denomination how can I combine my own postage to mail heavier items if I want to?

Yes, I'm aware of the home postage solutions available, I'm pointing out the limitation that this would cause on using stamps as currency towards new postage.

Numanoid 02-26-07 04:12 PM

I'm buying a thousand dollars worth of Forever Stamps and never buying stamps again! :banana:

mrpayroll 02-26-07 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
If there is no denomination how can I combine my own postage to mail heavier items if I want to?

Yes, I'm aware of the home postage solutions available, I'm pointing out the limitation that this would cause on using stamps as currency towards new postage.

Well, I think this only addresses letter sized envelopes that require one 1st class stamp. I believe that those types make up the majority of 'pieces' of mail sent everyday. I could be wrong.

Chris

kvrdave 02-26-07 04:16 PM

I would love the "forever" stamp. Currently, I have a bunch of .37 stamps that I haven't used because I forget the .02 stamps, etc. Pain in the ass.

ben12 02-26-07 04:17 PM

I would buy thousands of dollars worth of forever stampes and sell them 20 years later at thrice the price!

FantasticVSDoom 02-26-07 04:17 PM

Forever stamps sound like something out of a 5-year old's bedtime story...

ben12 02-26-07 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bushdog

Wouldn't the forever stamp just count as whatever the current denomination is for a single stamp? What's the problem?

Shazam 02-26-07 04:22 PM

We have these in Canada. Very convenient.

Bronkster 02-26-07 04:24 PM

As long as the stamp has Elvis on it :up:

Cusm 02-26-07 04:24 PM

I am sure they will use crappy adhesive on a forever stamp making sure it's shelf life is only a year or two.

al_bundy 02-26-07 04:24 PM

you and the USPS

together forever

http://www2.fwi.com/~williams/tenaslockedheart.gif

Xbox69 02-26-07 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Forever stamps sound like something out of a 5-year old's bedtime story...

And they licked them happily ever after. :p

Numanoid 02-26-07 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
And they licked them happily ever after. :p

http://www.votejoegarden.com/PeteTownshend.jpg

"What's all this, then?"

mrpayroll 02-26-07 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ben12
I would buy thousands of dollars worth of forever stampes and sell them 20 years later at thrice the price!

A millionaire in the making! :thumbsup: :lol:

Chris

mrpayroll 02-26-07 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid

Who the hell are you?

Chris

The Bus 02-26-07 04:41 PM

It's a great deal, if you think a 3.9% return on investment is good.

The Bus 02-26-07 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ben12

Regular postage was $0.13 in 1977. It would take 30 years.

mather 02-26-07 04:49 PM

LOL at everyone claiming to buy thousands of forever stamps. I don't think the forever stamp will materialize, even if it does, it may flop due to higher cost.

mrpayroll 02-26-07 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by mather
LOL at everyone claiming to buy thousands of forever stamps. I don't think the forever stamp will materialize, even if it does, it may flop due to higher cost.

I don't know. A friend brought up a good point at work. How much of these that are purchased do you think will actually be used in their lifetime? It's kind of the same with gift cards. Billions of $$$ are spent on gift cards, but I bet the actual usage rate of these cards is not even close to 100% in their lifetime.

People can forget, lose or destroy them and it would be pure profit (after expenses) for the USPS. Plus, they are getting the income right now with just the posibility of having to 'pay' these out in the future.

Chris

ernestrp 02-26-07 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I'm buying a thousand dollars worth of Forever Stamps and never buying stamps again! :banana:

Thats exactly what they hoping for and that you lose them (fire, theft) or that you never use them. Its probably a good idea for them. Everytime they mention postage might go up it should cause enough people to buyem so maybe it wont have to go up anymore.

-popcorn-

mrpayroll 02-26-07 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
Thats exactly what they hoping for and that you lose them (fire, theft) or that you never use them. Its probably a good idea for them.

-popcorn-

Please see my post above yours! :mad:

Chris

Tracer Bullet 02-26-07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I am sure they will use crappy adhesive on a forever stamp making sure it's shelf life is only a year or two.

Are they going to stop selling tape in the future?

ernestrp 02-26-07 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Please see my post above yours! :mad:

Chris

WHY?

-popcorn-

Puzznic 02-26-07 06:16 PM

Usually this is bad but that "additional ounce" price decrease will save me alot of money with my business.