Reload this Page >

Postal regulators want 2-cent stamp hike - new 'forever stamp' plan

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Postal regulators want 2-cent stamp hike - new 'forever stamp' plan

Old 05-05-07, 01:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bronkster
I think you misunderstood - the old stamps are still good through the 13th, so what you mailed is fine. If you use the new "forever" stamp now, it'll work but you're wasting two cents.
Ah, well fuck then as I have 13 of those stamps left. Guess they just have to be trashed?

I hate the fucking postal service.
Old 05-05-07, 01:12 PM
Banned

See the "2006" on this one. It's good through the 2006 rate cycle.
Old 05-05-07, 01:20 PM
Retired

Yeah, and mine have the 2006 on them.

Total bullshit. The ATM's should only stock the regular 39 cent stamps. Then I could at least just buy some 2 cent stamps.
Old 05-05-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah, and mine have the 2006 on them.

Total bullshit. The ATM's should only stock the regular 39 cent stamps. Then I could at least just buy some 2 cent stamps.
I'm pretty sure you still can. I'd suggest asking someone at the post office, but I wouldn't wish that torture on anyone
Old 05-05-07, 01:58 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I'm pretty sure you still can. I'd suggest asking someone at the post office, but I wouldn't wish that torture on anyone
No kidding. I have a little tiny post office a block away, wouldn't think it would be so bad, but it's always packed and the people working there are clueless.

I could have shot someone when they got rid of the automated mailing machine. Now I have to wait in line for 15 minutes (assuming I catch them at a good time) every time I have to mail a package).

They said it wasn't making them enough money, so they moved it to another post office. Guess the people here in the ghetto couldn't figure out how to use it and preferred waiting in line.
Old 05-05-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Your post office doesn't have a stamp machine that sells 1 cent stamps? I figured all of them had 'em.

But if it's that much of a hassle to get the 1 cent stamps, maybe you could ask around to see if anyone has any. If not, instead of trashing the stamps, just use 2. Yeah, you're paying 37 cents extra but at least they're not a complete loss.
Old 05-05-07, 02:21 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Your post office doesn't have a stamp machine that sells 1 cent stamps? I figured all of them had 'em.

But if it's that much of a hassle to get the 1 cent stamps, maybe you could ask around to see if anyone has any. If not, instead of trashing the stamps, just use 2. Yeah, you're paying 37 cents extra but at least they're not a complete loss.
I was under the impression from the above post that the 2 cent stamps wouldn't work with the first class stamps.

But looks like that isn't the case.

Mine does have a stamp machine. They got rid of the automated package mailer machine where you could weigh your package, pick the type of service you wanted (including delivery confirmation and all that jazz), swipe your credit card and it would print a label. Very handy for mailing stuff you sold online etc., without waiting in the long line to see an agent to do it for you.
Old 05-05-07, 02:38 PM
Banned

I was under the impression from the above post that the 2 cent stamps wouldn't work with the first class stamps.

But looks like that isn't the case.
Nope. The First Class 2006 stamp = $0.39.

Someone also sent me a forwarded email that says that you can alternatively tape pennies to the front of the envelope and that works
Old 05-05-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
Nope. The First Class 2006 stamp = $0.39.

Someone also sent me a forwarded email that says that you can alternatively tape pennies to the front of the envelope and that works
Yeah, but the pennies add to the weight of the letter, putting it over the 39 cent weight limit, so you have to add 3 pennies for every two you tape on.
Old 05-07-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, I hadn't heard of this and just mailed a bill with it yesterday as that was the stamps the ATM gave me.

Guess I'll have to wait and see if it bounces back.

Pretty shitty if it does, as they shouldn't have put out the stamps if they're not going to honor them until a certain date.

Edit

Just noticed that I've already used 3 of those stamps prior to this one, and all were for bills and all have cleared. So I guess they aren't returning anything.
That's because the rate hike doesn't go into effect until May 14th. You can still use those stamps after but you need to add 2 cents worth of additional postage.
Old 05-08-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by matta

See the "2006" on this one. It's good through the 2006 rate cycle.
I may be mistaken, but if you add a 0.02 cent stamp to that stamp, it should still valid for postage during the current rate cycle. Though that stamp doesn't have a printed value, my understanding is that it is "worth" 0.39 and does not suddenly become valueless on 5/14.
Old 05-13-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just another reminder that the new stamps go into effect as of midnight tonight.

Old 05-13-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Just another reminder that the new stamps go into effect as of midnight tonight.

I heard on the News if you mail anything today (Sunday) to make sure it has the new postage on it. I guess it really starts today. Maybe they will let it slide though.

Old 05-13-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is based on the postmark. Since no Post Offices are open today to postmark it, today basically doesn't exist. Yesterday was the last chance to get it postmarked before the new rates.
Old 05-13-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude
It is based on the postmark. Since no Post Offices are open today to postmark it, today basically doesn't exist. Yesterday was the last chance to get it postmarked before the new rates.
My main post office is open Sunday 9 to 5.

Old 05-13-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I pay all my stuff online or in person too but I'm sure some of the companies will increase the amount $1 or so to pay in order to cover " postage costs"
Old 05-14-07, 10:54 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The USPS people are clueless, I asked about the new Star Wars stamps and when they would be coming out. One went to the rear and looked at a poster of stamps that were coming out in 07' for several minutes and said there is no info on them. Another looked over and said they are not out yet. Uh, hello, that's my question is "WHEN would be they be coming out?" So the answers I got were no such stamps due out for 07' and no yet available to my question. Anyways, useless time wasted on that topic.
Old 05-14-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what concerns me more than the first rate increase is the increase in priority mail and delivery confirmation. as someone who sells on ebay, i would think that will have a huge impact on ebay.
Old 05-15-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kevin75
what concerns me more than the first rate increase is the increase in priority mail and delivery confirmation. as someone who sells on ebay, i would think that will have a huge impact on ebay.
Yup. Some sellers won't ship to Canada anymore as a result
Old 05-15-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mather
The USPS people are clueless, I asked about the new Star Wars stamps and when they would be coming out. One went to the rear and looked at a poster of stamps that were coming out in 07' for several minutes and said there is no info on them. Another looked over and said they are not out yet. Uh, hello, that's my question is "WHEN would be they be coming out?" So the answers I got were no such stamps due out for 07' and no yet available to my question. Anyways, useless time wasted on that topic.

Well, if you haven't gotten your answer yet, it is May 25th.
Old 05-15-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It appears as though surface shipping (the slow boat) is not available for international shipping any more.
Old 05-15-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 125 Likes on 96 Posts
Just got an email from an online store that they would no longer be using USPS priority shipping because on shipments over 1 cubic foot, prices went up around 200 to 300%. Haven't been able to check the rates out, but if true, ouch.
Old 05-26-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.slate.com/id/2166475/

Should I Invest in "Forever" Stamps?Absolutely not.
By Nathaniel Rich
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2007, at 4:10 PM ET

The postal rate climbed 2 cents on Monday, about a month after the United States Postal Service introduced its new "forever" stamp. As of last week, the USPS had sold more than $82 million worth of the forever stamps, which lock in the 41-cent rate for eternity. One man in Pennsylvania walked into a post office and made an $8,000 investment on his own. Should we all be stocking up?

Absolutely not. Since 1971, postal rates have increased more slowly than the actual inflation rate, as measured by the U.S. Consumer Price Index. So, despite the numerous rate hikes over the last 36 years, stamps have actually been getting cheaper. The 20-cent stamp from 1981, for instance, would be equivalent to 45 cents in today's dollars—which makes today's rate 10 percent cheaper than it was 26 years ago. Should this historical pattern hold, you'd be paying more for today's forever stamps than you would for any stamp in the future, no matter how high the rate goes.

In fact, this pattern must hold—as a matter of law. In December, President Bush signed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, which ensures that future price increases will be kept below an inflation-based ceiling. In other words, postage hikes will never surpass inflation—and the forever stamp will never become a good investment. Incidentally, the USPS announced the introduction of the forever stamp less than two months after Bush signed the act into law.
Old 05-26-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Or, you could wait and buy them after the next rate increase is announced but not yet implemented. Then, you PROFIT. Timing is everything.
Old 05-26-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only a fool would "invest" in these forever stamps. It's all about convenience.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.