Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How many families out there can live on ONE SALARY?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How many families out there can live on ONE SALARY?

Old 02-15-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
I thought you knew, I am in Northern VA and not in a slum Median income in my zip code is $84k. The ones that make $45k live with relatives and have no hope of even buying a simple one bedroom condo.

Sure I have a choice to move, but it is not like I originally chose to be born here and to be raised here. There is a whole other set of circumstances surrounding people just picking up everything and moving. My family is here, I have a good job, my kids are in a good school, my kids have friends here. My entire life has always been here. Most importantly, my wife's family is NOT here (hence the reason she left where she grew up and moved 1000 miles away)

Really, I fight with this decision on a regular basis. I see you live in Deleware, I hear the schools there are not very good. Do you plan on, or do you already, send your kids to private school?
Fairfax County's median household/family income is $95k / $110k. So certainly, you have a very valid argument that in your area $45k for a family doesn't go far.
Old 02-15-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
You're saying people stay poor because they make bad decisions about money. Sure sounds like a generalization to me.

The answer to your second paragraph is that because all of us pay taxes, you are paying less than you would for the things taxes cover than if you had to pay for them privately -- suppose your roads were not the responsibility of the city in which you live, but that of you and the other people on your block. You would have to pay more than if the tax burden were spread out among all the taxpayers in the city.
I am saying that people stay poor because of a number of reasons. Debt, frivolous spending, relying on govt., having kids they can't support, laziness, lack of education. There are a lot of factors. And yes, I think that most people have direct control over all of these things and stay poor because of their decisions in these areas.

The tax burden is not spread equally. As far as roads, schools, etc. go, I already am paying more. With higher income comes higher taxes. Do you really think someone making a million bucks a year is paying the same taxes as someone who is making 20K?
Old 02-15-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
No use was disclosed, so you can't make an assumption that it is being used for the lather.
Yeah, I realize I never made it clear that I was speaking generally and not about a specific person. Of course I have no clue about the $350 guy that was originally mentioned, I mentioned him merely as an example of what does happen all of the time and I wasn't clear about that.
Old 02-15-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I am saying that people stay poor because of a number of reasons. Debt, frivolous spending, relying on govt., having kids they can't support, laziness, lack of education. There are a lot of factors. And yes, I think that most people have direct control over all of these things and stay poor because of their decisions in these areas.

The tax burden is not spread equally. As far as roads, schools, etc. go, I already am paying more. With higher income comes higher taxes. Do you really think someone making a million bucks a year is paying the same taxes as someone who is making 20K?
I agree with everything that you're saying. If you look at the luxury goods market, part of the reason they are doing well is because they are selling friovlous, expensive items to people who shouldn't be buying them. For example, most people can't afford the $25,000 all-Samoyed KVR Couture coat (for those who can, the extra ball-warming feature of the coat must be nice).

But, KVR Couture has no problem selling a $70 cellphone holder with their logo. It's a ridiculous price to pay for something to hold your cellphone, but it allows market penetration into income levels that were not part of the brand before.

OK, I digressed.

Like I said, I agree with what you guys are saying. I'm not particularly happy knowing that taxes I paid for went to a giant bridge to nowhere in Alaska, or for champagne to some Katrina survivor, or to some family cheating on their taxes to get welfare. But I understand (hope) that they are the minority. However, calling out someone who is on WIC (which ONLY provides you specific basic/staple foods, not stamps, not money) because they bought someone's dad a $350 computer for Christmas is a bit harsh; it's reaching. Without knowing any additional information, I'd find it hard to condemn this person.
Old 02-15-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I realize I never made it clear that I was speaking generally and not about a specific person. Of course I have no clue about the $350 guy that was originally mentioned, I mentioned him merely as an example of what does happen all of the time and I wasn't clear about that.
Was posting when you wrote this. So we're in agreement them.
Old 02-15-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I am not indicting WIC. Obviously a lot of people need it and it at least can only be used for needed items. My wife's sister and brother-in-law get WIC and I can guarantee that they do not need it. Of course it helps them pay for food so they can get other stuff such as their 50-inch television, Oklahoma State football tickets, and Netflix subscription. You know, necessities. My wife and I, who live comfortably, do not have an expensive television, football season tickets, nor Netflix (actually we just started on their cheapest plan). And we probably could afford those things. We just choose to forego those until a later date by paying off all of our debt and sticking a max amount of $ into investments. It is sad to realize that unless they make a change, they are going to live paycheck-to-paycheck their whole lives ane retire with nothing but maybe a crappy pension and if they just spent 5 years or so living frugally and making smart decisions, they could retire millionaires as they are both still under 30 y.o.
Old 02-15-07, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
ponies.

that is all i saw
Old 02-15-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, I am not indicting WIC. Obviously a lot of people need it and it at least can only be used for needed items. My wife's sister and brother-in-law get WIC and I can guarantee that they do not need it. Of course it helps them pay for food so they can get other stuff such as their 50-inch television, Oklahoma State football tickets, and Netflix subscription. You know, necessities. My wife and I, who live comfortably, do not have an expensive television, football season tickets, nor Netflix (actually we just started on their cheapest plan). And we probably could afford those things. We just choose to forego those until a later date by paying off all of our debt and sticking a max amount of $ into investments. It is sad to realize that unless they make a change, they are going to live paycheck-to-paycheck their whole lives ane retire with nothing but maybe a crappy pension and if they just spent 5 years or so living frugally and making smart decisions, they could retire millionaires as they are both still under 30 y.o.
This is true. They should be buying DVDs, not renting them, so they have something to watch when they are older.
Old 02-15-07, 02:02 PM

I am not poor, but I choose to live that way.
Old 02-15-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I am not poor, but I choose to live that way.
Way to thread-fart.
Old 02-15-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
Peddy likes posting after he's had a few glasses of fine "brain lubricant".
guilty as charged!

I'm growing up and all......so it is a more rare ocurance ....so feel luck you got to be a part of it!

-p
Old 02-15-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
What kind of port?
Bonny Doon "Bouteille Call" Syrah Port
http://www.liquorama.net/index.asp?P...D&ProdID=22999

I'll probably have a bit more tonight.

-p
Old 02-15-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

btw..I think the WIC program is ok (most peple don't abuse it), but how many families got there.....that is what I have a problem with. It is fine if someone lost their job and need some help in between jobs.....but I've seen A LOT of people who spend WAAAAAY above their means, and then leech off of the gov't while watching tv on their widescreen and surfing on their $2000 computer.

-p
Old 02-15-07, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Way to thread-fart.
I think it was more of a thread-burp.
Old 02-15-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
guilty as charged!

I'm growing up and all......so it is a more rare ocurance ....so feel luck you got to be a part of it!

-p
My friend, one is never too grown up to drink copious amounts of alcohol and then write some near-illegible posts.
Old 02-15-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
My friend, one is never too grown up to drink copious amounts of alcohol and then write some near-illegible posts.
I was just lamenting with my friend about how we can't go out two nights in a row...or we'd be shot the next day or two. He agreed. So instead, his roomates (women) are throwing a big theme party this weekend (lingerie and PJs)....so we agreed that instead of two good nights out, we'll have one great night partying. I will pay for it the next day...but who cares?!

Oh, yeah...uhm...on topic. Let's see, I think I could live off of ~$250k or so a year....who wants to adopt me?!

-p
Old 02-16-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Bonny Doon "Bouteille Call" Syrah Port
http://www.liquorama.net/index.asp?P...D&ProdID=22999

I'll probably have a bit more tonight.

-p
The only port I have regularly is Six Grapes, although I've got some Ware's and Sandemans's Vintage 1997s and a Taylor Fladgate LBV 1999. Just haven't opened those yet.
Old 02-16-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
When i first moved to Puerto Rico to be with my wife (then girlfriend) i came on the promise of a job. When i arrived the job fell through and for 3 months we had to live in a shitty studio apartment off her wage and a little bit of savings i had. Probably the most depressing time of my life. Living off one wage is just damn impossible here in San Juan. Back in England where i lived before it would be just impossible. Its just me and my wife (no kids) but if we were to have kids it would just get even harder. Thank god that we are both working, my wife graduates as a Phd in May and things will be easier.
Old 02-16-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Families in the '50s could get by on one salary because their idea of what constituted "the necessities" is drastically different than the current thinking. Most families back then, for instance, had one car. They didn't have a television, or if they did they only had one. They didn't have cell phones. They didn't have Xbox 360s or computers. Houses were also much, much smaller.

Families can get by on one salary. They choose not to, however, because they want all those things. They want two vehicles. They want cell phones. They want computers and cable and high-speed Internet and big TVs and TiVo. They want dishwashers and central air conditioning.

Most importantly, they choose to live in the city, instead of farther out, where the cost of living is cheaper. Getting by on $45,000 in the Midwest is a breeze.
Old 02-16-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Families in the '50s could get by on one salary because their idea of what constituted "the necessities" is drastically different than the current thinking. Most families back then, for instance, had one car. They didn't have a television, or if they did they only had one. They didn't have cell phones. They didn't have Xbox 360s or computers. Houses were also much, much smaller.

Families can get by on one salary. They choose not to, however, because they want all those things. They want two vehicles. They want cell phones. They want computers and cable and high-speed Internet and big TVs and TiVo. They want dishwashers and central air conditioning.

Most importantly, they choose to live in the city, instead of farther out, where the cost of living is cheaper. Getting by on $45,000 in the Midwest is a breeze.
Testify!

Although I think living farther out can be just as expensive as in the city, after you factor in commuting expenses for working in the city.

Also, the percentage of income that went to taxes in the 1950s was much, much lower than it is today.
Old 02-16-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Testify!

Although I think living farther out can be just as expensive as in the city, after you factor in commuting expenses for working in the city.

Also, the percentage of income that went to taxes in the 1950s was much, much lower than it is today.
Depends on the city.