DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   How many families out there can live on ONE SALARY? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/492453-how-many-families-out-there-can-live-one-salary.html)

bhk 02-14-07 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yeah, because there are no poor people in the major cities.

Come on. :lol:

You guys are defining "liveable" as "living the way I want to". You can easily get a shitty apartment in "the wrong part of town", a beat-up old clunker of a car (if any), and be able to live off less than $20K a year. MILLIONS of people do it every day.

Again, necessities and desireables are not the same thing.

:thumbsup:

Many Americans confuse luxuries with necessities.

Ginwen 02-14-07 10:51 AM

We could live off my wife's salary, although we'd really miss my benefits. More than half my pay goes to insurance and retirement.

cdollaz 02-14-07 10:54 AM

You guys are defining "liveable" as "living the way I want to". You can easily get a shitty apartment in "the wrong part of town", a beat-up old clunker of a car (if any), and be able to live off less than $20K a year. MILLIONS of people do it every day.

Agreed, if you do not consider quality of life. Most of us could do it if it came to that.

Also consider that most people living in this condition probably get some sort of govt. assistance and pay no taxes, which increases their means. Hell, somebody above posted that they know someone who bought their father a new computer, yet are on WIC.

cdollaz 02-14-07 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ginwen
We could live off my wife's salary, although we'd really miss my benefits. More than half my pay goes to insurance and retirement.

Yep. Much of my wife's intake goes to investing.

NotThatGuy 02-14-07 10:57 AM

Yeah, because there are no poor people in the major cities.

Come on. :lol:

You guys are defining "livable" as "living the way I want to". You can easily get a shitty apartment in "the wrong part of town", a beat-up old clunker of a car (if any), and be able to live off less than $20K a year. MILLIONS of people do it every day.

Again, necessities and desirables are not the same thing.

I'd rather move to a shit place and live decently, then live in a big city and live like that.

The metrosexual in me cringes at the thought of not living a comfortable lifestyle. I've worked far too hard to not live comfortably for the rest of my career...I'll have collected 4 degrees, 2 independent licenses, and 1-2 board certs.

-p

The Bus 02-14-07 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
That $$ amount does depend a lot on where you live. $45k for much of the US is liveable, but in any major city, no way.

So, apparently 50% of Chicago is dead, since they don't make (as a household or family) the "required" $45,000 you mention to actually live. Over 50% of Houston's residents don't make enough money to exist. Same with Philadelphia. Or Phoenix.

I'm siding with Numanoid here. Most of you don't mean "minimum necessary to survive exist" --- you mean a certain minimum income is necessary to live a comfortable life according to your own upper middle-class definition. Which may include frivolous expenses like new cars every 5 years, vacations out of the state, private school, gym/country club memberships, extensive music/movie collections, etc.

I'm not saying any of this is bad. I know I wouldn't want to make less than what I am making now. But that doesn't mean I ascribe my income as the minimum necessary to live around here.

Median household/family income in the US is $45,000 to $55,000. That's not per person. That's per household/family. Median, by definition, is middle class. If you make more than that, you are approaching upper middle class. This is by definition. If your household makes $100,000, you are better off than at least 150 million people.

I don't have a problem with capitalism. I love capitalism. If you make $500,000 a year, I support you. And I might ask what I need to do to get there myself, if applicable. But what irks me is people that somehow assume that just because they shop at JC Penney for clothes and they have a '02 Explorer that this somehow puts them a few dollars above the poverty line. People that say things like this have a severe detachment from economic reality.

The Bus 02-14-07 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Agreed, if you do not consider quality of life. Most of us could do it if it came to that.

Also consider that most people living in this condition probably get some sort of govt. assistance and pay no taxes, which increases their means. Hell, somebody above posted that they know someone who bought their father a new computer, yet are on WIC.

New computers are $500.

kvrdave 02-14-07 11:05 AM

Based on what I see with my renters, you can actually live quit well with no salary.

kvrdave 02-14-07 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
My dad did it. My mom never had to work. I'm from CT.

I have zero idea how much he made...but I guess with having 2 kids, it couldn't have been that bad. :)

:lol: I was about to give you crap for having no idea what your father made, then I realized I have no idea what my father made either.

kvrdave 02-14-07 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I'd rather move to a shit place and live decently, then live in a big city and live like that.

Hey! :grunt: It isn't a shit place.

Assuming you were directing that to me. :grunt:

NotThatGuy 02-14-07 11:22 AM

nah, not at you, just in general. You just happen to be a slum lord. ;)

-p

jeffkjoe 02-14-07 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by danegger
We didn't want others to raise our kids and I think we made a great choice. We have a house, 3 cars, internet, cell phones, satellite, HD, etc, etc...We have no problems making ends meet even with all the non-necessities we have. We've got 3 kids and everything works out great for us.

And luckily, you also live in Texas, where you can get a nice mansion for 250 K.

I live outside of San Francisco where 1500 sq. foot houses will easily run over 1 million. And you often see families that stop at having more than 2 kids cause it's just so expensive and hard to find affordable houses that have more than 3 bedrooms.

Me, I run a one-income family
2 cars
own house
save for 2 child college tuitions (two 529 plans)
but I still have to watch what I spend, that's for damn sure
The other caveat, is I can't max out my 401K plan, even though i really want to.

God bless public school once I can stop paying for pre-school!

SpaceBoy 02-14-07 01:26 PM

It would be tough but we could do it I think, assuming we did it once both our cars were paid off, and we continued to drive them. (that is the plan with our cars anyways)

My wife and I make roughly the same amount. I make like 12k more but to me that's close enough to say about the same..

Either one of us, could pay mortgage, property taxes, insurance and required bills such as: electricity, heat, and groceries.

With having 2 car payments it's not possible currently and adding a kid or two to the mix make it even tougher.

It would make sense to have us both work, I think you can get decent daycare around where we live for like 500 a week, which would make sense to use when you take the revenue brought in minus that. (the company my wife works for has daycare in the corporate building)

We don't plan on doing it, or would like to really see if it's possible. I think it is doable, not happily though :)

atari2600 02-14-07 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
We live on one salary. It costs too much for me to work.

it costs YOU money to work? :shrug:

al_bundy 02-14-07 02:02 PM

child care

depending on how much she makes, it may be cheaper to stay home than pay for child care and you get a huge tax break from staying home instead of working

The Bus 02-14-07 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by atari2600
it costs YOU money to work? :shrug:

The math isn't too hard to do.

Benefit: Income, health care / retirement, ability to move into work force when needed

Cost: Cost of transportation, cost of work clothes/uniform/equipment (as needed), cost of child care for kids, "cost" of having to do chores during non-work hours (potentially intefering with any family time), "cost" of potentially not having time to exercise/eat healthy, cost of having family in higher tax bracket (as applicable).

If (extreme example), you're a stay at home mom taking care of 4 kids, and you can take a job making $15/hr. that would now require you to get another car as well as buy/upkeep a work wardrobe, put your kids in day care, and the end in-your-pocket dollar benefit is about $50 per week, would you do it?

<hr>

A long time ago, I think I read in Reader's Digest that the "cost" of one family member working (the 2nd parent) is about $15,000-$20,000 per year. So deduct that from any money you might make and draw conclusions from there. (It could turn a decent-paying $30,000 job into the equivalent of a below-minimum wage job).

Bandoman 02-14-07 02:14 PM

I think kittydreamer needs a new pimp.

10-7 02-14-07 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
It would make sense to have us both work, I think you can get decent daycare around where we live for like 500 a week...

:wtf: I had no idea they were giving college degrees in daycare. :shrug:

The Bus 02-14-07 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I think kittydreamer needs a new pimp.

No. I was giving her standard market rates: fifteen percent plus $60 weekly shopping money.

Nick Danger 02-14-07 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
New computers are $500.

The one he bought for his father was $350. Dell was having a good sale.

The Bus 02-14-07 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

I can't believe he gets to gallavant around with a fancy $350 computer. :mad:

cdollaz 02-14-07 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger

And someone who is expecting help from the govt. to feed their kids has no business buying someone else a $350 computer.

LivingINClip 02-14-07 04:18 PM

I think we are overlooking the price of living, depending on where you live. I make around 35K a year and that is plenty for where I live, it just makes it easier with the wife having a part time job.

And someone who is expecting help from the govt. to feed their kids has no business buying someone else a $350 computer.
-shrugs-
I disagree, if he wants to spend that, go for it. I figure as long as he is working and paying taxes, he is putting into the WIC program, may as well use it. It's there for a reason, but then again, I don't get all uptight about what people do with their money.

X 02-14-07 04:24 PM

I wonder whether the cost of living would have been more stable had families decided that they wanted to live on one income. It seems to me that more money chasing more products, bigger homes, etc. just made it so that most families had to have two incomes to keep up.

cdollaz 02-14-07 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip

-shrugs-
I disagree, if he wants to spend that, go for it. I figure as long as he is working and paying taxes, he is putting into the WIC program, may as well use it. It's there for a reason, but then again, I don't get all uptight about what people do with their money.

So as long as people are paying taxes, they should be able to leech off the govt. when they do not need it. Sign me up. I'd love to get some of my food paid for.