Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have a cell phone?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you have a cell phone?
Yes, and I am past college
75.97%
No, and I am past college
15.50%
Yes, and I am college age or younger
8.53%
No, and I am college age or younger
0%
Twikoff
0%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering what percentage of people here have one these days. I donít have one and was wondering if I am in the minority.

The part about college or younger vs past college is to see if it matters if you have a job.

If you do have one please post some information about it, such as what company you subscribe with, services you have and roughly how much you pay each month.
Old 02-06-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only cell phones here, no landline for the last 4+ years.

We use Sprint because we get a 25% discount through corporate alliances or some shit. Isn't the best service, but it works well enough for the price. We're about to switch plans to either 550 or 700 shared plan with 7pm N&W and that should be in the $35-$50 range after discount.

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
I donít have one and was wondering if I am in the minority.
Not at all. This guy doesn't have one either:

DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didn't get a cell phone until 2005, after mulling it over for several years. But I wouldn't be without it now.

I have a Nokia but don't ask me what model it is because I'm tech-retarded. My provider is Cingular and I pay about $40 per month for the base plan, but of course they tax me up the wazoo.
Old 02-06-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i have one for work, i get email on it too

wife has one mostly for work, my mom finally got one at 55 since they don't have a landline anymore and long distance is free and my mother in law got one as well a few years ago to make calls when she is away from home
Old 02-06-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one for several reasons. First of all, it saves money from having a long distance phone plan at home. I can't say how much, b/c I've never had to have a long distance plan and use the cell for long distance calls. Also, it came in very handy when I had car trouble and was on the side of a highway at 2am. I sure as hell didn't feel like waving down cars in the middle of the night. Called AAA, very easy.

Those are two very big reasons for me- having the ability to make and receive emergency type calls, and if you're going to have a phone for that reason, it also means you don't have to have a long distance plan. Those in additional the million other times I'm at work and want to receive personal calls, out with friends, out at the game, out shopping, etc and either want to have to make calls, it's incredibly easy. I don't use any mobile web as my job doesn't require it, in which case I'd have a BBerry, and I don't text as I think it's a childish way to communicate most of the time. If I want to talk or communicate to someone, I'll either email or call.

Verizon Wireless has better coverage in Virginia than anyone else, eastern and western Virginia. $70/month for family plan for 700 minutes/Unlimited N&W and Incalling for 2 lines. We both LG VX8600 phones.
Old 02-06-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My cell phone is a pay-as-you go kind, with rollover minutes, that costs me on average $7.50/month. I rarely use it, which is the way I like it. I can't see spending $40+ for a cell phone plan if I don't use it that much. It's absolutely ridiculous that cell phone companies can't charge people like landline phones - a reasonable rate per minute, not a set price for a set number of minutes you may or may not use.

I still have a landline that costs me $30 a month, and use onesuite.com for 2.5 cent/minute long distance, so I still spend less than my buddies who have a cell phone plan and no landline.
Old 02-06-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't get a cell phone until 2005, and I'm not paying for it; it's on my mother's plan. If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't have one.
Old 02-06-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I gave up my landline a few years ago. I am strictly cell phone now
Old 02-06-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, Sprint.
Old 02-06-07, 12:04 PM
Banned

Cell Phones has become a necessity in today society for emergency, and non emergency use, since pay phones are now scarce. I have both, a cell, and home phone.
Old 02-06-07, 12:05 PM

If you don't have a cell phone, it is safe to say you are most definitely in the minority.

My 7-year-old niece has a cell phone. It's one of those firefly things.

I'm on my second phone, a Razr. I still have a home phone, but no long distance service. I use my cell for that.
Old 02-06-07, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Morf
It's absolutely ridiculous that cell phone companies can't charge people like landline phones - a reasonable rate per minute, not a set price for a set number of minutes you may or may not use.
Pre-paid phones charge you per minute and per call fees like land lines.
Old 02-06-07, 12:15 PM

I have a prepay cell phone, I don't use it much at all, I have T-Mobile and the minutes don't expire for a year. I have it just for an emergency. I use to have a regular plan but to pay $30.00 a month that I may not use for a month or two was a waste of money.
Old 02-06-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have one. I mostly have it for emergencies (nice to just call AAA and wait in my car for them to show up), but I'm slowly using it more. I got it due to the fact that my commute is about 45 miles each way, so there is a lot of potential for crap to wrong in an inconvenient spot.
DVD Talk Legend

I got a personal cell from Sprint and a Nextel from work.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 thru Cingular, and my wife has one as well. I'm an employee, so 2 of those lines are company phones, including my Blackberry Pearl.

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Cell Phones has become a necessity in today society for emergency, and non emergency use, since pay phones are now scarce.
Good point. It's funny to watch early episodes of The Sopranos where they're always running out to the pay phones to talk "business". Nowadays, I don't recall the last time I saw a pay phone...and I wouldn't know what to do if I encountered one.
Old 02-06-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I got one when it became a necessity because of work. I look forward to the day when a phone that is easy to use is simple (i.e. just a phone) AND has enough memory to store a lot of contact information and past calls / text messages etc. I don't need to go online. That's not what cellphones are for.
Old 02-06-07, 12:23 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually have 2 phones. One is my personal cell paid for by me and the other is my crackberry phone paid for by work. Both plans are with Verizon. I just got the new enV phone from Verizon wireless for my personal phone. I do a lot of emailing/internet with my phone, so having the qwerty keyboard was a desire of mine. I try to leave the crackberry at home when I'm not working. I don't need people contacting me that often. They have my personal cell if it's really REALLY an emergency. Both are pretty important for me as I do travel for work and need to be contacted while at remote sites for whatever reason. The maps application on my blackberry has definitely helped me out a few times when getting lost traveling.

Oh, I pay about $50 for my personal cell. I'm sure the company pays more for the blackberry data plan. I'd guess around $80 a month for that.

Oh yeah, no land line at home either. Haven't had one since 2003.
Old 02-06-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have one, but I'm about to have to break down and get one, as soon as I find out which ones are available from my employer's plan that also sync up with my Mac.
Old 02-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Groucho
Nowadays, I don't recall the last time I saw a pay phone...and I wouldn't know what to do if I encountered one.
Old 02-06-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Morf
My cell phone is a pay-as-you go kind, with rollover minutes, that costs me on average $7.50/month. I rarely use it, which is the way I like it. I can't see spending $40+ for a cell phone plan if I don't use it that much. It's absolutely ridiculous that cell phone companies can't charge people like landline phones - a reasonable rate per minute, not a set price for a set number of minutes you may or may not use.

I still have a landline that costs me $30 a month, and use onesuite.com for 2.5 cent/minute long distance, so I still spend less than my buddies who have a cell phone plan and no landline.

i believe it's because a lot of cell towers are owned by other companies and not verizon/cingular and they lease time based on large units.

charging you per minute means going outside the contract and usually costs more

for landlines Verizon and other big companies own the backbone and they charge termination fees and the backbone also shares data with internet traffic so it's a different cost model
Old 02-06-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one. Hubby's work takes care of his. He uses his lots more than me.

It is a Motorlola Rocker Phone - like an ipod on it that I put music on it through Itunes. I pay around $45 a month. I have the internet on it as well.
Old 02-06-07, 12:37 PM

Been using cell phones since 1992. Dropped my land line in 2001 and don't miss it a bit!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.