Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people brag about how many hours they work?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 02-01-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I-myself could care less how many hrs somebody works because its not my fault they don't have a life.One guy would mention that he worked x amount of hours at this time last year but he's broke now.You live life once-If you want to live your life at work-go for it.
Old 02-01-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work full 40 hours a week.
Old 02-01-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work 4 hours and get paid for 40. I'm very proud of that.
Old 02-01-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
So far so good.
Old 02-01-07, 11:39 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

because they don't have a life as you say or they don't really work and need to justify their employment.
Old 02-01-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I work 50+ hours a week. Just the nature of where I work.

When I mention it I'm normally bitching about it
Old 02-01-07, 11:40 PM
gamer for life

I have a guy that has worked for me the past 2 years. He has come in to work on one of his days off every day he has worked for me (he is in management) He does not have to do this, but he makes sure I know what kind of sacrifice he is making for his job, as well as those that work below him. It is almost a joke around the office, because everyone knows that the reason he comes in all the time, and works 12-15 hour days, is because he has no personal life. He would just be bored at home.

He pushed REAL had for a larger then deserved raise in Nov. Of course the extra work he puts in was the main thing he wanted to discuss. As much as I tried, he failed to understand that the quality, or even quantity of his work was no greater then anyone else at the company, nor did he understand that sacrifice needs to result in someone loosing something to truly be sacrifice.

Then it happened. He met a girl about 6 weeks ago. I never see the guy anymore.
Old 02-02-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I do this a little bit. I work 13.25 hours a day, 4 days a week. I could have a bit more of a social life if I didn't but I get paid hourly, I'm still somewhat young, and if you just deal with a shitty day here and there the lack of sleep isn't all that bad.
Old 02-02-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. It puzzles me how people boast that they work "60 hours a week!" like they're proud of it.

Unless you're going for millions, you're being taken advantage of or you're just really slow. Or you're hourly.
Old 02-02-07, 12:18 AM

It shows worth? A sense of accomplishment? I used to work 50+ hours and hated it. Now I get paid more for ~40 hours a week.
Old 02-02-07, 02:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I-myself could care less how many hrs somebody works because its not my fault they don't have a life. One guy would mention that he worked x amount of hours at this time last year but he's broke now.You live life once-If you want to live your life at work-go for it.
In some instances, people who work a lot of overtime, generally are deep in debt, and trying to live above their means for themselves, and their family. People who are in this predicament that work ridiculous amount of overtime, are still living paycheck to paycheck. And also, the main cause of this is: GREED. They're never satisfied. At my place of employment, there are a few guys who'll work 24/7 if the company let them. The more they make, the more they want.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 02-02-07 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-02-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I work 37.5 hours a week and have no particular desire to work more. Fortunately my company has appropriate staffing levels so there's no need to stay late or come in early.
Old 02-02-07, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I've "bragged" about how many hours I worked in my last job (about 55-60 hrs a week), but I REALLY BRAGGED about the hours I worked on the job before that one (anywhere from 12 to 35 hrs/week, for MORE $$).

The former "bragging" had to do with some type of sense of accomplishment while the latter was REALLY BRAGGING.
Old 02-02-07, 05:34 AM

My wifes aunt used to work for a law firm for over 10 years and they had her working for 5 lawyers(she accepted this because she's crazy). well anyway they always treated her like shit and she was always crying and saying she was going to quit her job. She never did offcourse, well anyway she ended up developing capel tunnel and authritis in both arms so they had to fire her because she couldn't do her job(the job that caused her carpel tunnel by the way). Now she's on disability and getting a very nice check once a month but she continued to keep in contact with her old employer who fired her and they were saying how there having trouble finding a new secretery, they finnally found one but she's not that great. So here's the best part, my wife's aunt not comes in 4 hours a day and volenteers to train this new secretary and her old boss offered to pay her under the table to do it so it wouldn't affect her disability check and the dummy turns it down and says no thats ok I'll do it for free. so now she drives over twenty miles round trip and works for free for a company that fired her. WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD TURN DOWN FREE CASH! Only someone who is so desperate for attention and self worth that they would be this type of martyre. people like this make me more sick then someone who brags about how many hours they work.
Old 02-02-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts
I work for a small company and there are times that our work flow shifts and I end up having to put in 60 or more hours a week. I'm salaried, so I get paid no more during those stretches. If I mention it to someone, it's usually just to explain why I want to stay home and relax or why I'm not able to make it to something they've invited me to. It's definitely not bragging.
Old 02-02-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll tell you after I finish my 104 hour week. *beats chest proudly*
Old 02-02-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I avg 169 hours per week...
Old 02-02-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs. Nesbit
I do this a little bit. I work 13.25 hours a day, 4 days a week. I could have a bit more of a social life if I didn't but I get paid hourly, I'm still somewhat young, and if you just deal with a shitty day here and there the lack of sleep isn't all that bad.
Whatever it takes to break that glass ceiling!
Old 02-02-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the "perks" of being an hourly contractor is that my boss is very reluctant to keep me past 8 hours a day. But then again it's also a liability. Snow day? No pay. Sick? No pay. I'm proud to say that I worked 1822 hours last year. That's not bragging; just the facts ma'am.

OT: I just noticed that Mrs Nesbit is no longer a missus. I guess "she" saved enough soda can tabs for that sex change operation. Congrats!
Old 02-02-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I usually work 45-50 hrs a week. I get time and a half pay for any hours over 40, that helps make the overtime worth it.
Old 02-02-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts
I've been a secretary for 23 years. In that time, I've mostly worked the standard 8 to 4:30 or 5 -- and it's one of the things I've liked about clerical work: you don't usually take work home. The times I worked overtime were when I was working for lawyers, who never get anything done during the regular workday. They THRIVE on keeping their secretaries there till 9 PM. On the other hand, I worked several years for a judge and never put in a minute's overtime. Go figure.

I work for a religious official now and the main reason I work overtime is that certain seasons of the year are busier for me. January to March happens to be one of them. I don't get paid for overtime, but I pile up as much as I can so that come October, when I'm feeling like taking a few Fridays off, I've got comp time.
Old 02-02-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I brag constantly about the fact I'm paid for 40 hours a week and barely work 30 and I'm only productive about 10 of those hours. I consider that a major accomplishment.
Old 02-02-07, 09:59 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Where I used to work, it was the only way to move ahead in the company. You had to really campaign how hard you worked or it would go completely unnoticed. I quit pretty quickly.
Old 02-02-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it makes people feel important when they tell you that they work 100 hours a week. As in the company couldn't possibly continue without them being there.

I put in my 40, more when there is no way around it, but I am never happy about it. If I could work 24-25 hours a week, I think that would be the ideal job
Old 02-02-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts
I thought the point was to work as little as possible while making as much money as possible. That's what I strive for and I'm pretty good at it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.