Reload this Page >

Question about background checks

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-23-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When a potential employer does a background check, what is typically covered?
Old 01-23-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

usually state convictions beyond traffic violations, sometimes federal check. some companies check with some specific companies that track employees who have been fired for stealing/theft.
Old 01-23-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sinner
Old 01-23-07, 03:18 PM
Admin

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts
It all depends on the company.

My last place, they checked nationwide criminal background for 10 years and you had to take a drug test, but most places probably don't check further than statewide for the criminal process. My last place was anal. My current job, I doubt they checked anything. They really fly by the seat of their pants here. It's nuts.
Old 01-23-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Personally I think they're tacky but some of them are pretty cool. I don't care, whatever regular blue one the bank sends is good enough for me. I barely ever write them.
Old 01-23-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 124 Posts
You're not going to get away with it. Just use your own urine.
Old 01-23-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana
You're not going to get away with it. Just use your own urine.

I already know there's a drug test. I'm not worried about that. I've been off the hard stuff for a few years now.

I just didn't know how deep they dug, if they just did a criminal check or went into driving, education, and financial records.
Old 01-23-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Credit can be a part of a background check as well. Especially if you will be around cash as a part of your job.
Old 01-23-07, 03:54 PM
Admin

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
Credit can be a part of a background check as well. Especially if you will be around cash as a part of your job.
That's true. My place didn't do that, but I know some employers do.
Old 01-23-07, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I've had employers do that. Whenever they did, they included a form requesting approval to check my credit score (of course if was a condition of employment, though). It's been a while, though.

I've also experienced the joy of a government background check for clearance. Depending on the level, they will send someone to interview your college friends (at least for me, anyway) and they get mad when they find out that your great great grandmother may have been undocumented 120 years ago.
Old 01-23-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
My last place was anal.
Originally Posted by Abelkems
I just didn't know how deep they dug
Answer the question, Vin!
Old 01-23-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I would say it depends on the type of background check.

Without any details I can tell you, one check that I know of was completely and totally inaccurate, to the point of being laughable. Mistakes I fear a quite common as the basis for this info has little in the way of data validation or verification.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 01-23-07 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

we do a state criminal, federal criminal and credit check. we also verify your degrees and check your employment history including salary/w2.

some of our clients will refuse to hire you if you made 84k and you listed it as 85k, or if you list employment history as "march 1999 - Present" and you are not currently working there.
Old 01-23-07, 06:05 PM

So, Abelkems...what are you hiding?

I interviewed with a company and I know they did an education check. The firm doing the check called me because they needed my birthdate to do the check.

I was offered the position but turned it down.
Old 01-23-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
So, Abelkems...what are you hiding?
I'm not hiding anything, but would prefer not to divulge certain things if they aren't going to check.
Old 01-23-07, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by matta

I've also experienced the joy of a government background check for clearance. Depending on the level, they will send someone to interview your college friends (at least for me, anyway) and they get mad when they find out that your great great grandmother may have been undocumented 120 years ago.
Me too. I had a ts/sci clearance years ago, and they interviewed people and asked THEM who they should interview next about me. Worst part was the interview with one officer who kept asking me if I'd had an abortion ever (I was only 18). I said no, and she yelled on and on about how they would find out if I was lying and then I'd be out. Not sure why anyone would lie about that after Roe v. Wade. I wondered if I just looked like I'd had one, because with all the other questions, she took my answer at face value.
Old 01-23-07, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
some of our clients will refuse to hire you if you made 84k and you listed it as 85k, or if you list employment history as "march 1999 - Present" and you are not currently working there.
I've seen, on more than one occassion, people get the boot during the second round interview because they "rounded" their college GPA from a 2.99 to a 3.00, but I seriously doubt someone would boot you after going through the effort to find you, interview you, make an offer to you, and go through the application process because of $1,000 in salary.
Old 01-23-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They check with your ISP to see if you have been surfing for pron.
Old 01-23-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by costanza187
They check with your ISP to see if you have been surfing for pron.
Can I claim all the transexual pics are for medical research?
Old 01-23-07, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A good indicator as to what is check would be defined by the releases they have you sign Typically it's a criminal records (usually state/local, maybe Fed), and credit history, potentially they'll do a medical records check as well. All of these areas are pretty well covered by privacy laws now (to some extent or another) so more than likely the company will have you sign some sort of release they can have on record saying you told them it was ok to look at these things.

Why what are you worried about
Old 01-23-07, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I repeatedly turned down inquiries for work with a number of federal agencies bc I didn't want to go through the hassle for the clearance I would have needed. Squeaky clean friends of mine had 6+ month background checks, and it isn't that i'm not an upstanding citizen, but I don't want people digging through the skeletons in the closet.

-p
Old 01-23-07, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by matta
I've seen, on more than one occassion, people get the boot during the second round interview because they "rounded" their college GPA from a 2.99 to a 3.00, but I seriously doubt someone would boot you after going through the effort to find you, interview you, make an offer to you, and go through the application process because of $1,000 in salary.

tell that to one of the largest financial instituions in the world.

their idea is that it doesnt matter if its 1k, 3k or 10k...where do they draw the line? they dont. a wrong number is a wrong number.
Old 01-23-07, 11:35 PM

Received 104 Likes on 52 Posts
Our company does criminal, credit and verifies previous employment from your application.
Old 01-24-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by tasha99
Me too. I had a ts/sci clearance years ago, and they interviewed people and asked THEM who they should interview next about me. Worst part was the interview with one officer who kept asking me if I'd had an abortion ever (I was only 18). I said no, and she yelled on and on about how they would find out if I was lying and then I'd be out. Not sure why anyone would lie about that after Roe v. Wade. I wondered if I just looked like I'd had one, because with all the other questions, she took my answer at face value.

Oh yeah, the NACLC/NAC/etc. Great fun. Nothing better than listing every place you've lived, worked, all other details 7-10 years back. What a freaking headache. They gave me the 3rd degree on downloading music and crap from the internet when I was a student. I told them the truth on that one too, but they went on for a while. Also because I made the "mistake" of listing a non-US citizen as one of my buddy references -- I had no idea about any of his family history, but they kept asking.

Of course, if I go to renew, I'll probably have to start from scratch - or dig up a lot of info on my basic training and AIT units now.

If you ever do a gov't check for clearances -- DO NOT withhold any information on financial issues or prior records because it will be found and you will be in trouble (at the very least clearance suspended/revoked -- reclass military job if requires one that you can't hold).
Old 01-24-07, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 278 Likes on 206 Posts
I've been told that when you're being interviewed for a serious clearance job, the interviewers are happier if you have a couple of dirty secrets to tell them. Supposedly, they get twitchy if the candidate is too squeaky clean.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.