Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Mailing a letter without an addy??

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-22-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to get in touch with my best friend from a few years back. He moved to NY from Pittsburgh, but we never kept in touch. I looked him up online, but he has an unlisted number. It told me what street he lived on, but not a house number. I Yahoo'd the street, and it appears there is only two blocks of that street.

If I send a letter with his name & street on it, do you think it will get to him?
Old 01-22-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on the post man
Old 01-22-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy
depends on the post man
I agree. If you are looking for me, the odds are 99/100 it won't reach me since my postman is a douche.
Old 01-22-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

look for him on myspace and ask for his address
Old 01-22-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Send a copy of the letter addressed to every house on the street.
Old 01-22-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

One of my roommate received a UPS package addressed only:

[name]
[town], NY

It arrived on time.
Old 01-22-07, 10:56 AM

I've had a USPS package mailed to me at a different address and they actually delivered it to me at my house on the other side of town (fairly small town, but by no means tiny). It probably depends on too many factors to say with any certainty that it will get there.
Old 01-22-07, 11:01 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bushdog
I agree. If you are looking for me, the odds are 99/100 it won't reach me since my postman is a douche.

We prefer the term "Feminine Hygiene Americans".
Old 01-22-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007000420,00.html
Old 01-22-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'll just put a semi-vague index card in there with a short message & a yahoo email addy.
Old 01-22-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, like that's a challenge. The population of Cornwall is like 11.
Old 01-22-07, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Wasn't there some sort of experiment some website did doing this?
Old 01-22-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, ti worked.

-p
Old 01-22-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
even if its only 2 blocks.. its new york..
couldnt there still be hundred(s) of families in that area?

either way.. worth a shot
Old 01-22-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
even if its only 2 blocks.. its new york..
couldnt there still be hundred(s) of families in that area?

either way.. worth a shot
No, not at all. People have such funny misconceptions about NY

Does he live in NYC or one of the other boroughs? Usually the postman here can figure stuff out. I've mailed stuff without zip codes and stuff before and people usually get it.
Old 01-23-07, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Yeah, like that's a challenge. The population of Cornwall is like 11.
Close. Try 513,528.... ish*. Probably add quite a bit to that in the summer. Of course being a Christmas card it has a December postmark . So the lower winter population is counterbalanced by the bigger Christmas post. I think Postie deserves a pat on the back.

I'm sure your NY guy could deliver the letter - if he wanted to.

* But they are spread pretty thin (at 144 per square km) for UK (average 246 per sq.km). Compare that with 31 per sq.km for USA, and it seems positively crowded!
Old 01-23-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 170 Likes on 95 Posts
It's my understanding that the post office (in the States, anyway) reads the ZIP code first, then the state, then the town, then the street address. I know this won't help you with finding your old friend, but theoretically, if you have the ZIP+4 designation, you could mail the letter with nothing but the name and the ZIP on it.
Old 01-23-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's a small town, you might get lucky. I had a similar situation trying to find an eBay seller. I called the PO and told the situation to a clerk. She said to mail the letter in another envelope to her and she would give it to the carrier for that region. Sure enough, it got delivered.
Old 01-23-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sabrett
No, not at all. People have such funny misconceptions about NY

Does he live in NYC or one of the other boroughs? Usually the postman here can figure stuff out. I've mailed stuff without zip codes and stuff before and people usually get it.
Actually he lives in Olean, NY:

Old 01-23-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He lives on Coleman St., see how small the street is (Between Wayne, North 4th, & North Union)?
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.08...&spn=0.11,0.18

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 01-23-07 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 10:36 PM
Banned

Ooooh this is getting stalkerish! I'm in! Where do I sign up?!?
Old 01-24-07, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Dude, just find an address on that street, use it, and add a "?" following the house number. It'll get there... there are only like 20 houses on that street.

Edited to add satellite photo:

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-24-07 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Have you tried this: http://find.person.superpages.com/

If it dosen't work, put in some bogus (but common last name), select one of the hits, and "search neighbors". For instance, there's a "Terry Smith" at 505 N 4th Street, which appears to be on 4th between Wayne and Coleman.

You could also use the Olean city assessor's property search page at http://www.cityofolean.org/Assessor/main.htm Go to the "Search by Address" page, enter "Coleman", and paroose all the property listings (and owner names) you'd like.

Or you could combine the two by doing a property assessment search, taking the name "Mario Liberati" (117 Coleman), then searching for neighbors (since the Assessor page will give you property owners, not necessarily the people physically living there.) Are any of these people your friend?
Old 01-24-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, there is someone from Olean with his last name, but they live on Washington St., and it's a female name. He wasn't listed in the "Are any of these people..." post above, but knowing him, he's probably a renter, not a home-owner. I'm just gonna mail out an index card with a short message & a Yahho email addy. Judging from the satellite photo, he has to receive it.

How did you copy the satellite photo? I tried to right click on it, but nothing happened.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-30-07, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bushdog
I'm currently working as a letter carrier (again), so let me tell you the reality of "insufficiently addressed" letters...

On any given day, I can receive up to a few HUNDRED pieces of mail that are insufficiently addressed. We are given 8 hours to sort and deliver the mail for our route, and the routes are not given extra time to deal with things like this. Management tells us to _always_ return insufficients -- that's the policy and the carriers who don't comply are risking disciplinary action.

Furthermore, people are lazy. If you don't make them use their full address, they won't. If the carrier continues to spend time "figuring it out" over and over, the problems get worse and worse as the insufficients become more numerous. I find it is much better to send the mail back to the sender and make them correct the address and then resend it; that particular problem is now fixed. If you keep on it, you will have very few insufficients. This is especially important for monthly/recurring items like bills and magazines, and I NEVER deliver any of those if the address isn't complete.

Depending on which route I'm doing (I fill in for any carrier that is sick or on leave), I could tell management that I need an extra time just to deal with the insufficients, but do you care to guess what their response is? The carriers that continually deliver the insufficients end up with unruly routes with hundreds of such pieces of mail each day; the carriers who demand discipline have a dozen or so. Since every time I have to deliver a piece of mail that is insufficiently addressed takes additional time (5-30 seconds, conceivably MUCH more, depending on the situation), it very quickly adds up to REAL time and I can't complete my route in the time alloted.

So hopefully you don't consider me a douche for this, but I am completely in the camp that doesn't deliver mail unless it's properly addressed. I've seen first-hand what happens and it's a fucking nightmare. The only exceptions I make are for Christmas or birthday cards, maybe a few other specific things. Otherwise, I return it to sender (1st/2nd class), or toss it (3rd class). We simply do not have the time to spend on this. That's the reality, like it or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, in the case of the OP, if you do the best you can with the address and write on the envelope that you don't know the full address, please help, then I would do my best to deliver the letter.

Last edited by DarkElf; 01-30-07 at 03:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.