Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

OT posts from - Buying DVD's from Movie companies - and reply [merged]

Other Talk "Otterville"

OT posts from - Buying DVD's from Movie companies - and reply [merged]

Old 01-05-07, 01:11 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Antecedently endeavoring to pursue this conquest, the best advice is to educate yourself, and attend Business Management Classes. This stringently will be beneficial, knowledgeable for you in every aspect of business management professional operations, be exercised for the future.
Did somebody get a new thesaurus for Christmas?
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 01:31 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 353
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did somebody get a new thesaurus for Christmas?
Daniel L is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 01:53 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Did somebody get a new thesaurus for Christmas?
No. FYI, I didn't received fourteen years of education without cause. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 01:57 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI, I didn't received fourteen years of education
Apparently not!
Seantn is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 01:59 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dadaluholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wilmington, OH
Posts: 5,491
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. FYI, I didn't received fourteen years of education without cause.
Should have went for 15.
dadaluholla is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 02:02 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Apparently not!
Speak for yourself, whoever you are.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 02:17 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
No. FYI, I didn't received fourteen years of education without cause. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Fourteen years of education in what?

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-05-07 at 02:20 PM.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 02:39 PM
  #8  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Fourteen years of education in what?
I'm sure I'll regret jumping into the off-topic fray here, but is 14 years supposed to be impressive? That's just an associate's degree, and that's only if you don't count kindergarten. Also, exactly what "cover" are we not supposed to judge him/her by? I didn't see any photo, and on the internet, the only thing people can "judge" you by is how you write. So let me get this straight... don't judge my education by my inability to construct a coherent sentence? Doesn't really make sense.

Not trying to attack the guy/girl, just trying to understand what is being said here.
Mike Adams is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 04:07 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,800
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Adams

Not trying to attack the guy/girl, just trying to understand what is being said here.
and he/she is definitely difficult to understand. It definitely looks like he/she is using a thesaurus to make his/her posts seem more intelligent.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 04:37 PM
  #10  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,574
Received 162 Likes on 121 Posts
Trevor is offline  
Old 01-05-07, 11:19 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 985
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Egon's Ghost is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 01:56 AM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
and he/she is definitely difficult to understand. It definitely looks like he/she is using a thesaurus to make his/her posts seem more intelligent.
The spontaneous controversy regarding the use of my vocabulary in question, is strictly irrelavant, whether if I used a thesaurus, or not (which I denied, if you must know.) I am not compelled to give you, or anybody else on this forum a justifiable explanation, concerning the academic level of my vocabulary. For whatever reason, if my jargon is too convoluted for comprehension, defining the terminologies will be your responsibility. This absurd digression of this thread is concluded. Resume further discussions to it's original topic as intended.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 02:42 AM
  #13  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,944
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
The spontaneous controversy regarding the use of my vocabulary in question, is strictly irrelavant, whether if I used a thesaurus, or not (which I denied, if you must know.) I am not compelled to give you, or anybody else on this forum a justifiable explanation, concerning the academic level of my vocabulary. For whatever reason, if my jargon is too convoluted for comprehension, defining the terminologies will be your responsibility. This absurd digression of this thread is concluded. Resume further discussions to it's original topic as intended.
Though a mere dictionary knows the "relevance" of "it's" and "its".
X is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 10:38 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 985
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Though a mere dictionary knows the "relevance" of "it's" and "its".
Egon's Ghost is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 02:41 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Though a mere dictionary knows the "relevance" of "it's" and "its".
CONGRATULATIONS!
Winner of the 2007 Spelling Bee Award. Albert Einstein has risen from the grave...Stand up, and take a bow.
This absurd digression of this thread is concluded. Resume further discussions to its original topic as intended.
This applies to you as well. Now what part of this sentence, you don't understand?
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 03:42 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 162
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
The spontaneous controversy regarding the use of my vocabulary in question, is strictly irrelavant, whether if I used a thesaurus, or not (which I denied, if you must know.) I am not compelled to give you, or anybody else on this forum a justifiable explanation, concerning the academic level of my vocabulary. For whatever reason, if my jargon is too convoluted for comprehension, defining the terminologies will be your responsibility. This absurd digression of this thread is concluded. Resume further discussions to it's original topic as intended.
Seems like a clear case of obfuscation to create an aura of superior intelligence to me...
Did you ever take a critical thinking class? When one uses jargon and is unwilling to put it into layman's terms, it is usually because they are trying to hide something.
Besides your post does not flow.
"Antecedently endeavoring to pursue this conquest, the best advice is to educate yourself, and attend Business Management Classes. This stringently will be beneficial, knowledgeable for you in every aspect of business management professional operations, be exercised for the future.

"endeavoring to pursue," a repetition of the same meaning.
"This stringently will be beneficial," this makes no sense. Did you mean "this stringency?"
"knowledgeable for you in every aspect of business[...]" This part seems absolutely unneccessary as you already stated the same thing in the previous sentence. Unless you meant say "this knowledge will help you in every aspect of business..."
"be exercised for the future." The wording of this section of the sentence is unclear and does not fit the rest of the sentence.

Remember the most important part of writing is knowing your audience.
fargreg is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 03:52 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fargreg
Seems like a clear case of obfuscation to create an aura of superior intelligence to me...
Did you ever take a critical thinking class? When one uses jargon and is unwilling to put it into layman's terms, it is usually because they are trying to hide something.
Besides your post does not flow.
"Antecedently endeavoring to pursue this conquest, the best advice is to educate yourself, and attend Business Management Classes. This stringently will be beneficial, knowledgeable for you in every aspect of business management professional operations, be exercised for the future.

"endeavoring to pursue," a repetition of the same meaning.
"This stringently will be beneficial," this makes no sense. Did you mean "this stringency?"
"knowledgeable for you in every aspect of business[...]" This part seems absolutely unneccessary as you already stated the same thing in the previous sentence. Unless you meant say "this knowledge will help you in every aspect of business..."
"be exercised for the future." The wording of this section of the sentence is unclear and does not fit the rest of the sentence.

Remember the most important part of writing is knowing your audience.
How long have you've been suffering with Dyslexia?
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 04:02 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 162
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you ask that? I think you can see that I understood what you said, as I broke it down. Ad hominem attacks are usually ineffective when the other people can see through them.
fargreg is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 04:38 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fargreg
as I broke it down.
Improper language Einstein! The word is: Interpreted... incorrectly, I must say.
Originally Posted by fargreg
Ad hominem attacks are usually ineffective when the other people can see through them.
If you're a true believer in the supernatural ability of clairvoyance, then most certainly you have a serious metal problem to contend with.. More severe than I thought.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 04:55 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 162
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Improper language Einstein! The word is: Interpreted... incorrectly, I must say.

If you're a true believer in the supernatural ability of clairvoyance, then most certainly you have a serious metal problem to contend with.. More severe than I thought.
So what's the proper interpretation?

I'm pretty sure you know I was not talking about clairvoyance; but rather the shallowness that continues to persevere in your arguments.

I'm willing to admit that I am wrong but you have done nothing but attack me personally. I never said that I was a master of the English language, so please tell me what you were trying to say in your post. Maybe I'm just not familiar with the syntax that you are using.
fargreg is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 05:23 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Albert Einstein has risen from the grave

Improper language Einstein!
Einstein was a physicist, not a linguist.

The general point of all this (and why it does relate to the topic at hand), is that you've misused words in several posts in an attempt to sound superior, resulting in confusing advice that isn't likely to be helpful to the OP.

I think the general point of your post:
Antecedently endeavoring to pursue this conquest, the best advice is to educate yourself, and attend Business Management Classes. This stringently will be beneficial, knowledgeable for you in every aspect of business management professional operations, be exercised for the future.
can be translated to English this way:

"Before opening your store, take some business classes. They'll help you be successful."

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 01-06-07 at 05:26 PM.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 05:51 PM
  #22  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fargreg
So what's the proper interpretation? Maybe I'm just not familiar with the syntax that you are using.
Exactly! Since you've perceived to be an intellectual, you solve it.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 07:51 PM
  #23  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Einstein was a physicist, not a linguist.
It's impossible to be a physicist genius, without maintaining a significant amount of intelligence of an linguist....DUH!
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The general point of all this (and why it does relate to the topic at hand), is that you've misused words in several posts in an attempt to sound superior, resulting in confusing advice that isn't likely to be helpful to the OP.
As I've stated before numerous of times, If my post are too difficult to comprehend to you, or anybody else, then tough titty. There's a word you should be familiar with... I surmised.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 10:31 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
antennaball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The 7-8-Triple6, Texas
Posts: 3,621
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy hell, I love me some One-Oh-Four.
antennaball is offline  
Old 01-06-07, 11:07 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*looks around for matta.....coast is clear I think*

I am finishing my 20th years of schooling...what do I win?!!! I suck at spelling (especially when i'm drunk and posting on here), so hopefully that doesn't count.

-p
NotThatGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.