Reload this Page >

Let's talk Thanksgiving leftovers

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 11-30-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm enjoying some leftover stuffing and turkey for lunch, and a coworker just exhibited shock and disgust that I'm eating week-old leftovers. What's the rule on this? They taste good and don't smell weird. Am I just too daring? I suppose if I die I'll let you all know.
Old 11-30-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems safe to me. But I'd call the butterball hotline just to be sure.
Old 11-30-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd okay the stuffing, but I'd be iffy on the turkey, UNLESS it was frozen prior to today.
Old 11-30-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
You're cow-orker is just jealous because they were shunned by friends and family and have no delicious leftovers to eat. I make a fabulous little stew yesterday out of turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, rice, carrots, and a few spices. Yum!
Old 11-30-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought over 100.00 worth of groceries for Thanksgiving and it was pretty much going to be just my wife and I. Plenty of leftover huh? That's what I hoped for but my wife had her girlfriends over the next day and dipped into my leftover stash.
Old 11-30-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts
I finished the last of mine on Tuesday. Hey, if they're not crawling with mold, bon appetit, baby!
Old 11-30-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brother and I finished ours on tuesday too but we don't do mashed potatoes rather rice with pigeon peas. We mostly carved up the turkey for hoagies with some vietnamese french roles from south philly. there might be some pie left though.
Old 11-30-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Seems safe to me. But I'd call the butterball hotline just to be sure.
That's unfair. TB came here for helpful advice, not cheap jokes about his weight.
Old 11-30-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork
That's unfair. TB came here for helpful advice, not cheap jokes about his weight.
I'm sorry, but I came here for both.
Old 11-30-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With proper refrigeration (<40F), cooked poultry should keep for about a week, tubby!
Old 11-30-06, 01:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The big drawback to traveling to relatives for Thanksgiving dinner: no leftovers
Old 11-30-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

3-5 days tops... IMO
Old 12-01-06, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
The big drawback to traveling to relatives for Thanksgiving dinner: no leftovers
When I leave home after the weekend, my mother usually puts frozen ziplock bags of stuffing and an entire homemade apple pie in my suitcase.

She thinks I don't eat enough.
Old 12-01-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think Id eat it unless it had been frozen.
Old 12-01-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well it's been almost a day and I'm still alive. No ill effects at all.

Moral: week-old turkey is delicious AND safe.
Old 12-01-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
as long as the stuffing wasn't cooked in the bird I'd say you're fine
and possibly fine even if it was in the bird

my only question is why did it take a week to finally eat all the leftovers?
but I'm a bit of a pig when it comes to left over stuffing and gravy
mmmm, home made turkey gravy
Old 12-02-06, 12:54 AM
Banned

Freshly cooked leftover food taste much better, because, the seasoning saturates through the food when it sits in the fridge overnight.
Old 12-02-06, 12:57 AM
Banned

In Canada we have Thanksgiving way back in October. The leftovers are so old and rotten by now that a bum would not even eat them.
Old 12-02-06, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
some food doesn''t need seasoning.
Sure it does! If food is not seasoned at all, it's going to taste extremely bland. Herbs, and spices are essential to unprepared food, which is needed to enhance the taste, and give it flavor, whether it's fresh, or frozen. I can't imagine eating food without any seasoning, I wouldn't be able to eat it.
Old 12-02-06, 01:32 AM
Premium Member

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Sure it does! If food is not seasoned at all, it's going to taste extremely bland. Herbs, and spices are essential to unprepared food, which is needed to enhance the taste, and give it flavor, whether it's fresh, or frozen. I can't imagine eating food without any seasoning, I wouldn't be able to eat it.
Slap a good steak (or several meats) on the grill and they are just fine. Spice can enhance for a different taste, but are not necessary. Yesterday's meat =

(yes, some foods are better leftovers, but not all)
Old 12-02-06, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
Slap a good steak (or several meats) on the grill and they are just fine. Spice can enhance for a different taste, but are not necessary. Yesterday's meat =

(yes, some foods are better leftovers, but not all)
You just don't know how to cook! I wouldn't want to eat you're food.
Old 12-02-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
you can get good quality meat, add a little salt and pepper and it's very good without any other spices. most good steak places don't put anything on their steak when they serve it because there is no need.
Old 12-02-06, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
you can get good quality meat, add a little salt and pepper and it's very good without any other spices.
I was referring to salt and pepper (the most common use of spices as well.)
most good steak places don't put anything on their steak when they serve it because there is no need.
That's because usually the customer(s) have a tendency to add their own seasoning, and other condiments at the table using: salt, pepper, and the most famous A-1 Steak Sauce, etc whenever their meal is served to them.... They don't eat it plain I'll guaranteed you.
Old 12-02-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've have eaten a steak with Larry King over at the next table, there was no A1 at the table and no one asked for it. A1 is nothing more than corn starch and vinegar and historically things like that have been used to cover up bad quality meat.

www.nimanranch.com

if you buy their meat there is no need for any sauce. The top steak houses dry age their beef as well which adds the most flavor. If you don't want to pay $40 for a steak at a 5 star restaraunt, check out Whole Foods since they offer dry aged steaks for $20 - $30 a pound. The top restaraunts also serve either organic meat or naturally raised. the difference is that companies like Niman Ranch or Coleman raise their animals with a better diet than the meat you find in Costco and other stores.
Old 12-02-06, 11:15 PM
Banned

i've have eaten a steak with Larry King over at the next table, there was no A1 at the table and no one asked for it. A1 is nothing more than corn starch and vinegar and historically things like that have been used to cover up bad quality meat.

www.nimanranch.com

if you buy their meat there is no need for any sauce. The top steak houses dry age their beef as well which adds the most flavor. If you don't want to pay $40 for a steak at a 5 star restaraunt, check out Whole Foods since they offer dry aged steaks for $20 - $30 a pound. The top restaraunts also serve either organic meat or naturally raised. the difference is that companies like Niman Ranch or Coleman raise their animals with a better diet than the meat you find in Costco and other stores.
Oh... Well pardon me!!!! I'm sorry, but we don't have the posh, exclusive, extravagant, elegant restaraunts where all the rich and famous celebrities wine, and dine available here in town. All of our steak houses are just average mediocre eateries.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 12-03-06 at 08:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.