Need Christmas decoration ideas...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-27-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....FOR THE OUTSIDE....

Give me some suggestions for decorating my house. I traditioinally have used multi colored C9 bulbs all over my house, but I would like to do something different.
I prefer multi-colored.
I am not a big fan of icicle lights.

I was thinking about these new LED C7 bulbs. Has anyone used them? Are they as bright as the regular C7 bulbs?'

Any other ideas?
What else can I put outside?
Old 10-27-06, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Received 536 Likes on 254 Posts
Linnea Quigley mounted on a pair of buck antlers is always a big hit.

Last edited by Vibiana; 11-13-06 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-13-06, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Received 536 Likes on 254 Posts
I can't believe nobody but me answered this thread.
Old 11-13-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
How about a "multi-colored" Santa?
Old 11-13-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 11-13-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 11-13-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a kit of those lights that flash with the music. Some dude got a Miller Lite commercial out of it last year
Old 11-13-06, 09:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my family cut 18" PVC pipes, made a small slit in the top, hammered them in the ground, and strung in a white lights from them in a curvy, streamer-like fashion. looked great, espcially when every house on the block did it. otherwise, if youre adventurous, get a cut out design and go to town on plywood and then paint! my family rivals the griswald's during christmas time
Old 11-13-06, 11:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the LED lights, not a fan of them. They are not as bright as regular bulbs, unless they've made great strides since last year.
Old 11-14-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I have the LED lights, not a fan of them. They are not as bright as regular bulbs, unless they've made great strides since last year.
I have the Costco ones that aren't that bright.
But this year, all the regular stores now have many different ones.
The ones at Target seem much brighter than the Costco ones.
Old 11-14-06, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by krkuhl
my family cut 18" PVC pipes, made a small slit in the top, hammered them in the ground, and strung in a white lights from them in a curvy, streamer-like fashion. looked great, espcially when every house on the block did it. otherwise, if youre adventurous, get a cut out design and go to town on plywood and then paint! my family rivals the griswald's during christmas time
Do you have a picture of this, I can't understand what you're describing. Does it look like candy canes?
Old 11-14-06, 09:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
no, not like candy canes, and no, no picture. here is the best i can do, ignore the dots

\........../|| \ ........../
..\......./.||...\......./
....\__/...||.....\__/
GROUND GROUND GROUND
the \ and / are the lights hanging down from the pvc, like streamers hung from a ceiling at a party, curving. The || are the pvc pipes hammered partially into the ground with a notch in the top (like a regular screwdriver) that the strand of lights sits in in order to be held. make more sense now?

edited to add the closest thing i can find is: kurup.org/photo/images/13726/Christmas%20Lights

hard to see the lights, but you see the pvc. but, instead, put the pvc closer together, and rather than having the lights straight acorss the top, dont pull them so tight, but allow them to "droop" in the middle and hang down like upside down arches.

another thing that is ridiculously easy to make are the christmas trees from light seen here:
www.christmas-day.org/gifs/christmas-lights.jpg

long pvc for the tree truck. make 2-3 octagons from PVC of decreasing diameter for the base of the branches. attach light strands to the top of the trunk, go straight down, then wrap them around your octagons (smallest diameter up top obviously). Unless you live in a windy area or dont make the distance btwn the top and each octagon layer different, you dont need anything to hold the octagons up off hte ground or attach them to the trunk (the lights hold them in place). But, if you do live in a windy area or suck at measuring, i would suggest using some black wire and wrap around the trunk, then around the octagon to hold it in place.

Last edited by krkuhl; 11-14-06 at 09:30 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 11-15-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 564 Likes on 321 Posts
Do a Southwest style decoration. All you need is paper lunch sacks, sand, and tea candles.
Old 11-15-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsaYH0fJMWU
TURN UP SOUND
Old 11-15-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I beg my wife every year to not make me put up the outside decorations, I hate it so much. This year I even bribed her that she could get another kitten if I didn't have to do it. She refused.

SO, it's the reindeer with the moving heads (3 of them), the spiral trees (7!), a sleigh, a set of lighted presents, snowmen (4), a dozen silhourettes on the fence, everything lighted. Not to mention the strings of lights on every tree and bush. It takes me hours just to figure out how to light these things. I have to admit, it looks pretty sweet when I'm done.

I like that pipe idea, seems quite easy too.