Reload this Page >

I'm thinking about buying a turkey fryer kit

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-19-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My uncle and a friend of mine (both back in Columbus) are into deep frying turkeys - and, boy, those birds are good. I was thinking about getting into the game myself, just in time for Thanksgiving and the remainder of college football season.

I went to Lowes and Wal-Mart last night to price kits and found a 30 quart one for $38. What size turkey would that accomodate?

I'm torn as to whether I should spend the extra $15 and get the bigger kit. Will I really need that much more capacity?

Anyone have any advice on frying turkeys - brands, accessories, preperation/clean up tips, recipes (for turkey or other things to fry), online resources?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot more than I remember, but the basic $30 or so kit will be enough for a 12-13lb bird. The instructions might say it can go to 14-16lbs, but I wouldn't do it.

One thing that the instructions tell you is to not get the oil too hot, well, live dangerously

I try to get the oil near 400 F *BEFORE* I put the bird in. The temp will drop 60F-70F just by you putting the bird in the oil and you NEVER EVER want the oil temp inside the pot to fall below 300F (I might even say 320F)

Cook by Time and Temp readings. I forget the exact formula, but you want 3 minutes a pound at 350F or something close to that. If the temp drops below 350F then you need more time.

Oil will spill the first time you do it. Be careful as oil is flammable. Oil can also stain whatever surface you have under the pot (concrete asphalt, etc)

Use peanut oil for better taste, use canola oil for better health. The oil is reusalbe, let it cool and store it in a cool place.

French fries taste great if cooked after the bird and they only take a few minutes. Use a wire basket found at most kitchen stores.

Make sure to use a fresh bird and not a frozen one

Wipe the bird off with paper towels just before you dunk it in the oil, you want it as dry as humanly possible.

Lower the bird in VERY VERY SLOWLY - taking 5 minutes or more before the bird in completely in is slow enough.

You can season the bird with whatever you want before hand, either a dry rub or inject some liquid. I prefer the dry rub about an hour before cooking, I use some chicken seasoning from Mccormick's brand, anything will do.

Don't leave the boiling pot of oil unattended the first time you do it. It takes a little practice to keep the temp in the correct zone.

Letting the bird stand for 30 minutes wrapped in tin foil after it is cooked is a must, plan on it.
Old 10-19-06, 01:25 PM

A 12-13lb bird is all you want to fry, no mater how big the pot is. Do not let the oil get hotter than its flash point before you lower the turkey. Stand around and drink beer for the cook time! Life is good...
Old 10-19-06, 01:38 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Wow these look like fun!

just be careful
Old 10-19-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never understood the attraction of deep frying a turkey. Lowering a 12 pound moist bird into 30 quarts of boiling oil is a recipe for disaster. The day after Thanksgiving isn't just for the start of the Christmas shopping season anymore. Now it's for reading about the folks with third-degree burns and destroyed houses from their misuse of the fryer. I'll settle for just roasting it. It tastes better to me anyway.
Old 10-19-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG
Oil will spill the first time you do it.
In order to avoid said situation - the day before you plan to cook your gobbler, you can lower the bird in the pot and fill it with water. Take the bird out and measure the water level with a scratch on the pot - that's where you'll want to fill the peanut oil up to - well actually about 3/4 of an inch below as the oil will expand as it is heated.....
Old 10-19-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've never understood the attraction of deep frying a turkey.

You're right - I prefer GOOSE.....
Old 10-19-06, 02:24 PM
Banned

Deep frying turkeys is just not the same, and besides, it's extremely dangerous. I still prefer to bake my turkey (with stuffing) the traditional way for Thanksgiving, and Christmas, because it induces the true holiday spirit.
Old 10-19-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Deep frying turkeys is just not the same, and besides, it's extremely dangerous. I still prefer to bake my turkey (with stuffing) the traditional way for Thanksgiving, and Christmas, because it induces the true holiday spirit.

Maybe that's why you're still SINGLE.....
Old 10-19-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel the same way and while I don't want to threadcrap I wanted to add my .02.

My sister-in-law always hosts Thanksgiving and she is a good cook. For years the smell of an oven roasting turkey would fill the house. It always was excellent. Stuffing, pies and bread, yummy. Now is seems that the center of activity is outside and many things are premade.

Lately they have taken to frying. My brother-in-law standing outside in whatever the weather is checking the temperature of the oil. No cooking smells, lots of grease popping. IMHO the turkey is in no way better than what we used to have but since I am an invited guest I say thank you anyway.
Old 10-19-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've never understood the attraction of deep frying a turkey. Lowering a 12 pound moist bird into 30 quarts of boiling oil is a recipe for disaster.
I have never understood the point of living life in fear...

Understand the danger, act to avoid it, all will be fine. The OP did good by posting here if anyone had experience and what to look out for.

Have a fire extinguisher than can put out oil fires handy. For your first time to do it, it is not a bad idea. Once you see what happens once, you will be prepared, its the first time that gets most noobies in trouble.

Usually it's too much oil that is the cause, but even the right amount of oil can cause splashing if the bird is too moist, just be prepared for violent oil reaction upon entry.

Peanut oil has a smoke point of 450F (when pure, this degrades over use)

http://missvickie.com/howto/spices/oils.html

Taking the oil to 400F, maybe even 410F has been perfectly fine for me. Also take into account that the thermometer is not 100% accurate either.
Old 10-19-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like turkey fried or oven-roasted - so there.....
Old 10-19-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
You're right - I prefer GOOSE.....

Old 10-19-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've fried my own turkeys for the past 5 years and I don't think I'll ever go back. The flavor is so much better than baking IMO. And the cooking time is much less, usually 45-55 minutes. Make sure you remember to take out the gut sack and the pop-up thermometer berfore you cook. I always put a large piece of cardboard or some newspaper if its not too windy under the fryer. About a 4x4 area should be enough. I bought the 30 qt stainless steel setup, don't remember the brand but, I think I got it at Walmart.
Old 10-19-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great things about turkey friers:

Turkey done super fast.

You can use the burner to heat up a wok for real stir fry. Using a wok on the stove is teh suckekekeke.

Bad thing about turkey friers:

No stuffing

Humorous thing about turkey friers:

Reading the stories about the morans who put it too close to their house and wind up burning it down.
[TedKnight] Huhuhuhuhu [/TedKnight]
Old 10-19-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ooooh Ahhhhh.
Old 10-19-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone here ever made turducken?

I've heard about it, it's supposed to be quite a delicacy. You have a chicken, a duck, and a turkey deboned (horribly expensive), then you stuff the chicken inside the duck and the duck inside the turkey and roast the whole thing.

Just curious. I've never had deep fried turkey.
Old 10-19-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Popeyes (the chicken place) sells them already fried. Never tasted one fried of any kind. Dont know how Popeyes would be seeing as I guess they are pre-fried at sometime and you take it home and eat it later.
Old 10-19-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've deep fried about 10 or more turkeys so far, and it is the only way to go now.

As for other things to deep fry, I usually only use the big pot if there is a big party or something, but get a basket for it, and I do buffalo wings in it. They are real good too.
Old 10-20-06, 03:07 AM
Banned

I have never understood the point of living life in fear...

Understand the danger, act to avoid it, all will be fine. The OP did good by posting here if anyone had experience and what to look out for.

Have a fire extinguisher than can put out oil fires handy. For your first time to do it, it is not a bad idea. Once you see what happens once, you will be prepared, its the first time that gets most noobies in trouble.

Usually it's too much oil that is the cause, but even the right amount of oil can cause splashing if the bird is too moist, just be prepared for violent oil reaction upon entry.

Peanut oil has a smoke point of 450F (when pure, this degrades over use)

Taking the oil to 400F, maybe even 410F has been perfectly fine for me. Also take into account that the thermometer is not 100% accurate either.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinner preparations is not suppose to be this hazardous. People are endevoring to convert these family holiday meals into camp activities, and outdoor cookouts.
Old 10-20-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ernestrp
Popeyes (the chicken place) sells them already fried. Never tasted one fried of any kind. Dont know how Popeyes would be seeing as I guess they are pre-fried at sometime and you take it home and eat it later.
You have to order it in advance and pick it up the night before Thanksgiving, I think.
Old 10-20-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinner preparations is not suppose to be this hazardous. People are endevoring to convert these family holiday meals into camp activities, and outdoor cookouts.

Again --->

Maybe I am too adventerous for my own good. I even drink milk past the expiration date. Sometimes I wear dirty socks, and once I even RIPPED a hang nail right off my thumb, no wussy cutters for me, I just ripped it clean off. Crazy I am.
Old 10-20-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Turkey fryers suck. The meat tastes like ass. Peanut flavored ass.
Old 10-20-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mopower - you cooked it too long

Try canola oil for a light flavored alternative, but make sure you season the bird with something first.
Old 10-20-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mopower - you cooked it too long

Try canola oil for a light flavored alternative, but make sure you season the bird with something first.
I don't think you understand, Mopower likes his meat to taste like ass. Peanut flavored ass.....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.