Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Debit Card Charged 3 Months Later???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-19-06, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an interesting experience. Ok I'm in college at arizona state university, I get financial aid......So I had my financial aid money(About 5 grand) deposited into my bank account, i bought my books, my parking permit, and other stuff I needed for school. Then took the rest of the money and put it into another account so it was not spent. Well apparently my debit card only got charged a "temp" charge of $200 for my parking permit then the charge disappeared and the real charge never hit(I had tons of money in there so it wasn't because I was short). Well now 3 months later the charge hit my account and caused me to overdraft 4 times and I am now hit with these 4 overdraft fees. I'm just curious is this even legal for someone to not charge your account when the transaction is made but then wait for 3 months and charge your account? Anyone ever have something like this happen or know anything about this?
Old 10-19-06, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You never noticed $200 was not charged?

Yes it's legal for them. They could have realized in an audit that there was an error with the transaction. If it was legal for them then, it's legal for them now.
Old 10-19-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

These things happen. Either keep more money in there or keep better track of it.
Old 10-19-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
These things happen. Either keep more money in there or keep better track of it.
While I wouldn't as callous, a properly kept ledger might have avoiding this problem.

As for the overdraft issues, I would call your bank and explain the situation. They would probably be willing to reverse at least a few of those charges.
Old 10-19-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd call whatever department at the university charges for parking permits. Explain that they charged you 3 months after you expected it and that you weren't using the account on a regular basis anymore, so you got hit with a massive overdraft. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big deal for them to reverse the charge and let you give them a different card number or pay with a check or money order. Once the charge is reversed, I'm pretty sure your bank would be accomodating in removing the overdraft fees.
Old 10-19-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
While I wouldn't as callous, a properly kept ledger might have avoiding this problem.
Last time someone posted something like this invective came out of the woodwork. Just trying to maintain the culture.
Old 10-19-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

call your bank and tell them what happened and they might refund one or two of the overdraft fees if you don't have a history of it happening all the time.
Old 10-19-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still wondering how a student doesn't notice $200 never came through. Maybe he thought he "got lucky" and it bit him in the behind in the end. Also, what account money is in doesn't keep it from being spent. Not spending the money keeps it from being spent. It doesn't seem like we got the whole story.
Old 10-19-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely sounds like the typical lax, sloppy manner in which many college departments do business. I'm sure it makes sense to the idiot running the process who's been there forever.

So they pre-auth at the beginning of the semester only to wait and charge out in full at the end of the semester or something to that effect.
Old 10-19-06, 11:48 AM
Banned

This sounds like racism. Somebody get Al Sharpton over there.
Old 10-19-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In Soviet Russia, Card Charges you!
Old 10-19-06, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
It doesn't seem like we got the whole story.
Yeah because there can be so much more to this story? I don't know what else I could tell, so you tell me because apparently you know more about the situation? I told you the whole story.

Also, what account money is in doesn't keep it from being spent. Not spending the money keeps it from being spent.
It does keep it from being spent when you put all the rest of the money in your parent's savings account and they only limit you to a specific dollar amount a month. I do this so I don't spend so much that im out of moeny to pay bills by my last month.

I'm still wondering how a student doesn't notice $200 never came through. Maybe he thought he "got lucky" and it bit him in the behind in the end.
Stop jumping the gun when you don't even know what your talking about, im not use to having huge amounts of money in my bank account like that and it isn't hard to miss 200 dollars when you buy 400 dollars in books, school supplies, a laptop, pay rent for the month, pay utilities, and all that good stuff. Also if this was the case where I thoguht I "got lucky" I don't care if your 18 or 65, if your not charged for something months later and you have the purchase in your possession you are got think you "got lucky".

Last edited by Jake77444; 10-19-06 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Definitely sounds like the typical lax, sloppy manner in which many college departments do business. I'm sure it makes sense to the idiot running the process who's been there forever.

So they pre-auth at the beginning of the semester only to wait and charge out in full at the end of the semester or something to that effect.
You got it.....thats exactly what happened and I was just curious to whether they are able to do this.....guess I got my answer and it was yes they are. I just figured MAYBE there would be a limit to how long they can wait before they charge your card.
Old 10-19-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was it possible for you to use a Buy 1 Get I on that parking pass....?
Old 10-19-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my alma mater!
Old 10-19-06, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
I love my alma mater!
Well that explains it... it's not an issue with the billing system, it just took Jethro 3 months to find the "triangle with the stick at the bottom and on the side" on the "square addin' box" to complete the transaction.
Old 10-19-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jake77444
Stop jumping the gun when you don't even know what your talking about, im not use to having huge amounts of money in my bank account like that and it isn't hard to miss 200 dollars when you buy 400 dollars in books, school supplies, a laptop, pay rent for the month, pay utilities, and all that good stuff. Also if this was the case where I thoguht I "got lucky" I don't care if your 18 or 65, if your not charged for something months later and you have the purchase in your possession you are got think you "got lucky".
I went to college and did all that. I still hold you notice $200 extra in your account.
Old 10-19-06, 08:01 PM

I went to college and did all that. I still hold you notice $200 extra in your account.
yet this still has nothing to do with a company charging me 3 months later for a charge....what my entire post was about

Also I talked to my bank and they said that it should of been charged to my account within 60 days and I should contact the parking decal office.
Old 10-19-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also I talked to my bank and they said that it should of been charged to my account within 60 days and I should contact the parking decal office.
Sucks but what will you do? You'll still owe the money. They'll freeze your records. At least at JMU they wouldn't let you register for anything if you as so much owed the snack machine.
Old 10-20-06, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Sucks but what will you do? You'll still owe the money. They'll freeze your records. At least at JMU they wouldn't let you register for anything if you as so much owed the snack machine.
No I know its absolutely pointless in doing anything but I'll atleast chew them out and maybe if enough people do that they'll get there shit together.
Old 10-20-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
No I know its absolutely pointless in doing anything but I'll atleast chew them out and maybe if enough people do that they'll get there shit together.
See my post above. Go in, be very polite, explain what happened and ask if they're reverse the charge and let you pay a different way. I doubt it would be a big deal for them to do it and even the most inefficient, sloppily-run, incompetent organizations will usually try to be accomodating if you're a customer and being polite. I would do it soon, as the closer it is to the charge going through, the more likely you'll be able to get it all reversed. If they dick around with you and won't do anything, then it might be worth chewing them out, but it's always better to start off in a professional and pleasant manner.
Old 10-20-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jake,

Is it possible to pay them any other way? Personally I would just give them a check or money order next time, or use a card that isn't linked to personal banking. They don't sound responsible enough to have access to debit/credit card numbers.
Old 10-20-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Jake,

Is it possible to pay them any other way? Personally I would just give them a check or money order next time, or use a card that isn't linked to personal banking. They don't sound responsible enough to have access to debit/credit card numbers.
it probably would take them longer to cash a check
Old 10-20-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're living hand-to-mouth as you appear to be (4 overdrafts resulting from one $200 charge?), then you should HAVE been keeping better track of your finances. Once you spent the money, it was no longer yours even if the school delayed in processing it. Most people are happy to make delayed payments.
Old 10-21-06, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
See my post above. Go in, be very polite, explain what happened and ask if they're reverse the charge and let you pay a different way. I doubt it would be a big deal for them to do it and even the most inefficient, sloppily-run, incompetent organizations will usually try to be accomodating if you're a customer and being polite. I would do it soon, as the closer it is to the charge going through, the more likely you'll be able to get it all reversed. If they dick around with you and won't do anything, then it might be worth chewing them out, but it's always better to start off in a professional and pleasant manner.
I already talked to my bank, having them reverse the charge will not affect my overdraft fees I must pay to the bank, although the bank did wave all the fees except one as a courtesy so its all good now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.