Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Carving Pumpkins is all sorts of fun!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: What was I trying to carve?
A scary ghost
2.17%
A skull face
78.26%
A pumpkin
4.35%
The Mona Lisa
4.35%
twikoff
10.87%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever happened to the good old days when the toothy grin pumpkin was all you needed? I mean, can you even tell what this one is supposed to be? And the rind on the pumpkin was about 3 inches thick, so that just added to the fun. Anyway, is anyone else having as much fun as me and carving pumpkins this year?

Last edited by gijon213; 10-18-06 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Always seemed evil to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1aui-wluE
Old 10-18-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks sort of like Leatherface from "Texas Chainsaw Massacre."
Old 10-18-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

looks like kvrdave
Old 10-18-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Reminds me of...

Old 10-18-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
It looks like you broke down and bought one of those Pumpkin Masters carving sets, carefully carved a scary skull design into a pumpkin, set it out on your porch overnight, and discovered a werewolf mauled it overnight.
Old 10-19-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It looks like you broke down and bought one of those Pumpkin Masters carving sets, carefully carved a scary skull design into a pumpkin, set it out on your porch overnight, and discovered a werewolf mauled it overnight.
Yeah, I did use a carving kit, and it still looks like I was having seizures while carving it. I am proud that most of his teeth came out(except one), they were a bitch. His name is Snaggle Tooth.
Old 10-22-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-22-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 10-22-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a picture of mine, but we did it the other day, and it kind of came out looking like a tard.
Old 10-22-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
SWEET!
Old 10-22-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That cylon one gives me teh g33k hawt.
Old 10-23-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The gf and I will be carving ours tomorrow. We do the traditional gap-toothed happy pumpkin. Fancy ones are nice, but not what we want.

Really, all I want are the seeds to bake.
Old 10-23-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never carved a pumpkin. I think that might make me a bad mom since I have a 10 year old son.
Old 10-23-06, 08:10 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Some Halloween safety tips:

1. For large groups of trick-or-treaters, always set at least one child ablaze, ensuring enough light that other children won’t trip over uneven pavement.

2. Only separate shards of X-Acto blades from rodent poison once you get home; doing so in the dark will lead to inevitable mixups and tummyaches for youngsters with allergies.

3. If a home has its porch light off — but an expressionless face can be seen peering from a cellar window — consider limiting your child’s unattended visit with the resident to no more than four hours.

4. If a close-fitting mask causes your child to fall down a well, use fishing line and a paper clip to retrieve her goodie bag. Nobody likes wet candy.

5. Although children dressed as SS-Sturmbannführer Michael Lippert are not required to “pretend execute” children dressed as Ernst Röhm, many parents find this bit of theatricality kindles the spirit that makes Halloween such a delight.
Old 10-23-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Some Halloween safety tips:

1. For large groups of trick-or-treaters, always set at least one child ablaze, ensuring enough light that other children won’t trip over uneven pavement.

2. Only separate shards of X-Acto blades from rodent poison once you get home; doing so in the dark will lead to inevitable mixups and tummyaches for youngsters with allergies.

3. If a home has its porch light off — but an expressionless face can be seen peering from a cellar window — consider limiting your child’s unattended visit with the resident to no more than four hours.

4. If a close-fitting mask causes your child to fall down a well, use fishing line and a paper clip to retrieve her goodie bag. Nobody likes wet candy.

5. Although children dressed as SS-Sturmbannführer Michael Lippert are not required to “pretend execute” children dressed as Ernst Röhm, many parents find this bit of theatricality kindles the spirit that makes Halloween such a delight.

Huh? Uh, Bando? Stay away from my kids....

Old 10-24-06, 02:45 PM
Enormous Genitals

I'm an excellent parent.

Old 10-24-06, 03:22 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Halloween safety tips:

-- Pack your child's rectum with razor blades to make him/her less desirable to would-be molesters.

-- Always trick-or-treat in groups of 400,000.

-- Many troublemakers and dangerous people come out on Halloween night. To be safe, trick-or-treat in early March.

-- Safety and self-defense go hand in hand. Be sure your child's handgun has at least a 10-round magazine and is at least .38 caliber to ensure stopping power.

-- For optimum safety while trick-or-treating, be sure your child does not encounter fright-master screenwriter Kevin Williamson.

-- Equip your child with special cyanide-filled false tooth for use in case of capture.

-- Be sure child closes eyes before you drill eyeholes in mask.

-- Beat would-be child murderers at their own game by poisoning your kids ahead of time.

-- Dress your child in all-black costume to make him/her virtually invisible to potentially dangerous motorists.

-- Tell your kids that if they see anything suspicious or scary-looking–for example, ghosts, goblins or witches–they should run to the nearest neighbor's house and call the police.

-- Pack child's costume with safety flares.

-- Before sending children off, give their anuses a good dollop of lube. This will help prevent their tissue from tearing when they are sodomized by maniacs.

-- Do not ring doorbells under any circumstances.

source
Old 10-24-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-24-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-26-06, 09:25 AM
Enormous Genitals

And here's another related link that has a YouTube video of it in action.
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...C-0D6B48984890

-------- Original Message --------

HOWTO make mechanized Dalek-o-lantern

The Evil Mad Scientist Labs folks have got a killer set of plans up for a mechanized rolling, aiming Dalek built out of a pumpkin:

Final touches: The "eye" and two "ears" are pieces of carrot. Instead of the toilet plunger and paint rollers that the originals had, I used a hand-mixer beater paddle and a candy thermometer. I think that they both work pretty well. Overall, however, the shape is almost too round to be recognized as a Dalek. But, we are somewhat constrained by the shape of the pumpkin. With a bit of work, you could make a pretty good R2D2 by the same method. I hope someone else does that because I'm not planning to. =)

Now: Pimp your Dalek! Add one of those blinky lights that indicates when its talking. Download some Dalek voices, and put them inside the pumpkin with a speaker. The possibilities are endless!