Chris Rock's mom: Cracker Barrel discriminated

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-18-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from cnn.com

CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AP) -- Rose Rock, the mother of comedian Chris Rock, claims she was racially discriminated against when she was seated but ignored for a half hour at a Cracker Barrel restaurant along the South Carolina coast.

Rock said Tuesday she planned to sue the Lebanon, Tennessee-based company. A Cracker Barrel spokeswoman said the restaurant chain was investigating and taking the complaint "very seriously."

Cracker Barrel has in the past faced numerous lawsuits and a federal inquiry over complaints of refusing to serve black customers, discriminating against minority workers and firing gay employees. The company has taken steps to rebuild its folksy image and reach out to minorities.

Rock, who is from Georgetown, said she and her 21-year-old daughter were the only blacks at the chain's Murrells Inlet restaurant in April. She said when she asked the manager about the delay she was told they could have a free meal.

"He never called over the waitresses and asked, 'Why did these people sit here for a half hour without service?' " she said. "The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat."

Cracker Barrel spokeswoman Julie Davis said the company doesn't "tolerate any form of discrimination."

"It has always been a violation of our policies and procedures and it is neither condoned nor allowed," she said. "We do not allow the type of behavior you are describing," Davis said.

Rock said she contacted the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission and was told her complaint would be handled, but "nothing ever happened."

The head of the commission, Jesse Washington, said Tuesday that after initial discussions, the complaint was finalized August 7 and his agency also was investigating. He would not comment on the complaint.

"We get thousands of charges coming through here in the course of a year," he said. "It's not out of line -- the time frame on this. It is being investigated and we will be in touch with her when we have a report."

The Rev. Al Sharpton will join Rock on Wednesday in South Carolina to announce that Sharpton's Action Network will finance the planned lawsuit.

"I'm getting reports from all over the country about Cracker Barrel," Sharpton said from New York on Tuesday.

He also said state officials are slow to act on such complaints.

"When people are talking about there is no more discrimination, a lot of it is because they are not following this stuff up," Sharpton said.

Cracker Barrel, established in 1969, operates 547 restaurants in 41 states, according to the company's Web site.

Georgetown is about 60 miles northeast of Charleston.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-18-06 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-18-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well Duh, she was descriminated against. It is called "CRACKER Barrel". Let's hope she doesn't plan to eat at the other restaurants called: "The MAN Diner" & "Honkey Steakhouse" or more suits will be filed.
Old 10-18-06, 09:44 AM

"I don't need this...my man has two jobs!"
Old 10-18-06, 09:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

This has happened to me before and I'm white. It sucks, but discrimination? That's not even logical... if you were going to blatantly discriminate like that, why would you have even seated them? Seems to me if you don't like black people you're going to want them in your restaurant for as little time as possible, not for a longer period of time. I'm more likely to think this is a simple fuck-up.
Old 10-18-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

my black roommate once told me no self respecting colored person eats at a place called CRACKER Barrel.

last time i went there i think it took them forever to serve me. i should have sued!
Old 10-18-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

30 minutes is about average for Cracker Barrel. At least it was the 3 or 4 times I've eaten there.
Old 10-18-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every time I've been in a Cracker Barrel, it has been packed to the rafters and all waits for seating, service, and refills were longer than at any other restaurant. Regardless of how the investigation turns out, I think that Sharpie should call for an immediate nationwide boycott of CB. Then the next time I go, it won't be as crowded.
Old 10-18-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm willing to bet that the hostess forgot to tell the waitress that they had 2 new customers to wait on and that Rose is using her son's celebrity to raise a big stink about this. It's happened to me and my friends before. After waiting about 15 minutes, we flagged down a waitress who went and got the waitress who was supposed to be serving us who told us that no one had told her that more people were waiting for her.
Old 10-18-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat."
Then why are you at the restaurant?
Old 10-18-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

How stupid! I hate when people assume their race is the cause of every hardship.

My black roommate in college used to work as a cook at CB!
Old 10-18-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish us white people could sue someone every time we get bad service.
Old 10-18-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Step 1: go to a busy restaurant that always takes about 30 minutes for anyone to get waited on
Step 2: play the race card and get Al Sharpton involved
Step 3: PROFIT!
Old 10-18-06, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wish us white people could sue someone every time we get bad service.
Old 10-18-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is she suing for. A gift cert. to cracker barrel?
Old 10-18-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Well, Al Sharpton certainly wouldn't become involved in any complaint that wasn't valid.

[cough]Tawana Brawley[/cough]

[cough]A million other things[/cough]
Old 10-18-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"He never called over the waitresses and asked, 'Why did these people sit here for a half hour without service?' " she said. "The only thing he said was we could have a free meal and neither of us wanted to eat."
Of course he never called the waitress over, because an establishment does not discipline employees in front of customers. It's handled in private.
Old 10-18-06, 12:14 PM

Yea this happens to me in Perkins sometimes, but I'm white, so all I can do is walk out. No payday for me.
Old 10-18-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Cracker Barrel? Was Old Country Buffet closed?
Old 10-18-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want millions of dollars for 30 minutes of my time.
Old 10-18-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She's our State Rock.
Old 10-18-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, stupid media whoring. Bottom line:

Bad service
Offered free meal

Decided she wanted $1m more than the delicious meatloaf patter with my favorite three sides of m&c, mashed potatoes and corn.
Old 10-18-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
This has happened to me before and I'm white.
Me too, but because we are white we can't sue or write the newspapers over it.

We are stuck dealing with the crappy service with no excuse other than the restaurant is busy.

I have also sat in a restuarant where my table was placed on the edge between two different waiter's sections and each waiter thought the other was helping us.

Finally I went over to a manager and asked if anyone was going to take our order or should we just leave and that manager ended up being our waiter for the rest of the time we were there. He did a great job and I tipped the hell out of him because I was impressed a manager would actualy get his hands dirty like that.

shit happens, EVERYTHING isn't about the color of your skin.
Old 10-18-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
I have also sat in a restuarant where my table was placed on the edge between two different waiter's sections and each waiter thought the other was helping us.
That's good. I've got it beat though. We were already eating our meal, but sat and sat waiting on the check. I finally pulled over a different server and asked for our server/check and it turns out she had gone home for the night. Apparently she forgot she still had one table left.
Old 10-18-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of these posts seem to accuse her of playing the "race card" and they reflected my initial feelings, but if you do some research on Cracker Barrel, you'll see that they actually have a bit of a history when it comes to discrimination, be it based on race, gender, or sex. OP conveniently forgot to highlight that little tidbit in the article. Basically, while this might be completely frivolous, I wouldn't write it off - especially based on Cracker Barrel's history.
Old 10-18-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mytzplyx
if you do some research on Cracker Barrel, you'll see that they actually have a bit of a history when it comes to discrimination, be it based on race, gender, or sex. OP conveniently forgot to highlight that little tidbit in the article.
I didn't forget to highlight it. Thanks for thinking that, though.

It really makes no sense that a national restaurant chain would endorse not waiting on customers based on race or sex. Could they have bad apple 'racist' employees? Sure, just as likely as anywhere else.

Is it more likely the wait staff just screwed up, or worse yet, were just inept? That's my bet. I didn't realize getting bad service at a restaurant warranted a lawsuit.

But then, I'm white.

A white guy who gets bad service at restaurants from time to time.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-18-06 at 02:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.