Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

No water - Stupid Verizon busted our water pipes

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: If my water was busted I would...
Go to work and feel like crap
43.75%
Stay home
25.00%
Go over to twikoff's and shower with him
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-06, 08:26 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I was very excited about the opportunity to get Verizon FIOS internet. They are in the process of laying the cable so my condo complex will be wired for FIOS high speed internet. Since I can get a pretty fast connection at 10 bucks cheaper, I'm planning to dump my cable internet and buy FIOS. I already ordered Direct TV since they have a lot more channels I'm interested in than stupid cable. Anyway, the point of the story and the poll is while laying the cable the geniuses broke the main water line into my complex. We've had water outages the past 3 days, but eventually the water came back and we were able to take a shower. This morning, there was no water. Apparently, they (Verizon) fixed the break, but the replacement pipe they installed started leaking all over the place. Now they have to wait until it's light to try to fix it again. Needless to say, we had no water for showers this morning, so I went to work without taking a shower. I feel like you know what. At my job, I'm the only tech onsite, so if I don't show up to work, there's nobody to cover my office and people get upset. It's an ordeal just to take a day off because I need to get a temp tech to cover me. So, it would be bad if I didn't show up for work, so here I am. My question is, what would you do if you had lost water and couldn't take a shower given your life and your situation (not mine in particular).

And another question, why is Verizon fixing water pipes? Isn't that a job for the water company?
Old 10-18-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think all of your water is leaking into Dphams place.

If it were me, i would put on some golashes and take pics, or do what you did.
Old 10-18-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vin, this does not surprise me. Thanks to a crappy easement on my parent's property, Verizon not only cut cable to a large portion of their subdivision, but damaged their sprinkler system and numerous trees and shrubs (which were nowhere NEAR the easement). This was for an "upgrade" of phone and net services which two years later, are still not available in our area. It took several phone calls and finally a letter from a lawyer to their corporate office to reimburse for the damage. It was a sideshow.
Old 10-18-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go down to where they are working and cut the cable they are installing, then yell at the top of your lungs, "There, now you know how I feel!"
Old 10-18-06, 09:00 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by gijon213
Go down to where they are working and cut the cable they are installing, then yell at the top of your lungs, "There, now you know how I feel!"
They'd probably laugh and say, "Oh well, I guess we get the morning off while we head back to the office to get more cable!"

These jerks don't care. Maybe the management might be put out, but not the grunts with the shovels.
Old 10-18-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would take a shower at work.
Old 10-18-06, 01:47 PM
Admin-MemeCat

***UPDATE***

Pipes fixed (no clue WHO fixed them this time). Went home and showered on my lunch break. Closing thread.

Old 10-18-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They've been going crazy in our neighborhood for several weeks now. Not much damage reported though... just lots of holes and digging and flags and paint but the crews have done a great job of cleaning up after themselves.

I can't wait for this service to be available, though I won't sign up until I hear some user reports about it.
Old 10-18-06, 02:16 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
They've been going crazy in our neighborhood for several weeks now. Not much damage reported though... just lots of holes and digging and flags and paint but the crews have done a great job of cleaning up after themselves.

I can't wait for this service to be available, though I won't sign up until I hear some user reports about it.
A number of people I work with have FIOS for internet and I've seen the TV service too. The internet users absolutely love it. It's fiber optic internet. You can't do better than that. The TV is as good if not better than cable and they have more channels, although not as many as Direct TV.
Old 10-18-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the HD programming is as good as comcast and they have a comparable DVR, I'll likely pick it up fairly quickly when it's available... as long as the net access is reliable.
Old 10-18-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Update: The verizon site says I can get FIOS in my area now. But I will not get on board until their full HD programming is also available with HD DVR.

The only TV option verizon's site gets me currently is DirecTV. I believe in the past I have seen something more similar to Comcast's services taht came through the fiber optics.
Old 10-18-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
what would you do if you had lost water and couldn't take a shower given your life and your situation (not mine in particular).
I have relatives that live within a 30 minute drive, I would go run up their hot water bill

I also have camping equipment that includes a portable shower (little battery operated pump)

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-827b50...386521?ie=UTF8

and usually have 5 gallon containers of bottled drinking water around (unless I am down to my last one)

I would shower one way or another

Sucks not to have water though. not flushing the toilet for 3 days would be a bigger problem
Old 10-18-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FiOS =

FiOSTV =
Old 10-18-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
FiOS =

FiOSTV =
Do you have both?
Old 10-19-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Do you have both?
No FiOS TV available here yet; I'm just drooling in anticipation. I'm sick of DirecTV's HD-Lite.
Old 10-19-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Give the guys a note that says:

"1-800-DIG-SAFE"

Morans