Reload this Page >

Thinking about joining the Air Force...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-17-06, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal, I'll be 29 years old early next year. I have a bachelors degree in communications, but I don't have what I would call a "career" or anything that looks like it could become one.

I've tossed around the idea of going back to school, but I hate the idea of taking out more loans. Not to mention the fact that I would still have to go job hunting when I was done again anyway.

I would also love to be "forced" into getting in shape and losing weight. I've done it on my own before and put the weight right back on. Now I can't seem to get motivated to do it again.

So what would the risks be? I wouldn't do it if there was even a slight chance that I could be sent to Iraq (that wouldn't happen in the air force, right?). I would hope to just go right into officer training. Maybe get an education in telecommunications and/or computer stuff.

Am I too old? Do I already have to be in good shape before I can sign up? Anyone think I'm just plain crazy?
Old 10-17-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What risks? I guess like you said.. Going to Iraq. I have no idea if that would happen or not but the chance alone would keep me away.
Old 10-17-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

you could still go to iraq
Old 10-17-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

You may want to consider the fact that in the Navy, you could sail the seven seas.

Honestly, at your age, I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-17-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a very, very bad idea. Do not join the military unless you're alright with going to a war zone. Also, realize that you might sign up for 4 years, but there's a good chance they would own your ass for a lot longer than that. If you want to learn telecommunications or computer stuff, find a local school with a good program.
Old 10-17-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I wouldn't do it if there was even a slight chance that I could be sent to Iraq (that wouldn't happen in the air force, right?).
Erm...
U.S. Airmen are increasingly on the ground in Iraq, driving in convoys and even working with detainees - a shift in the Air Force's historic mission that military officials call necessary to bolster the strapped Army.
http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...tml?ESRC=eb.nl
Old 10-17-06, 04:08 PM
Banned

I guess it would be something to research quite a bit. I have a feeling the people in the Air Force being sent to Iraq are enlisted troops and not officer candidates. But hey, I have no idea.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 10-17-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I joined the Air Force and I'm glad I did. You do have a chance of getting deployed to Iraq however less chance of it joining that branch of the service than any other. Also in the Air Force you would be on a base supporting the mission not out and about fighting people (unless you're a pilot) so i'd say your safetly level would be "pretty good".

It sounds like you wanted to join for the reasons that I did.. I had plenty of skills to get a good paying job but I wanted to do something different but wasn't sure what. I wanted to experience as much as I could in life to I figured joining the service would certainly give me that opportunity. I don't regret it one bit. Military life just wasn't for me and I got out after my term was up.

You're not too old, you should get in somewhat decent shape before going in (or else you will die in basic trianing). If you go through OTS it's not as my physical as it would be mental.
Old 10-17-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Air Force people go to Iraq. I live in an Air Force town and lots of my friends are AF. The main wing stationed here is based out of UAE when over there so most go there but the other wings go everywhere including Iraq and Afganistan.

The AF is actually cutting a lot of people (its called Force something) so it might be hardder to join than you think
Old 10-17-06, 04:22 PM
Banned

Well, I'm definitely not "gung ho" about it. Just something I was considering. If it's not going to work out, that's probably just as well.
Old 10-17-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see him being in Air Force boot camp:

Foley: Candidate SonOfAStu's strutting in the dirt; Look at his face, he's starting to hurt; Here he is, thinking he's a great big star; But before too long he's gonna D.O.R.; Seen guys like you a hundred times; I'm telling you, SonOfAStu, I'm one of a kind; Gonna give you more than you can take; I'm gonna watch you crumble and watch you break!
Old 10-17-06, 04:27 PM

I wouldn't do it if there was even a slight chance that I could be sent to Iraq
If you're not prepared to go where they send you (esp if your objection isn't against Iraq specifically but more of a being in harm's way sort of thing) then don't join. When you sign on the bottom line they "own" you from that point forward, if that's something you're not completely comfortable w/ then you'll only make yourself miserable.
Old 10-17-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I would also love to be "forced" into getting in shape and losing weight. I've done it on my own before and put the weight right back on. Now I can't seem to get motivated to do it again.
Outside of aircrew, AFSF, or the elite Pararescue units, I don't recall the USAF physical fitness requirements being all that. And if you don't want to be deployed, don't join any of the services. Seriously.
Old 10-17-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could join the Coast Guard. No chance of going to Iraq with that one.
Old 10-17-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being a knee-deep sailor is much cooler than one might think. I second Mopower's recommendation.
Old 10-17-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're in the (Air Force) now
No longer behind a plow
You'll never get rich
By digging a ditch
You're in the (Air Force) now

Don't join any branch of the military unless you are prepared to be sent to war zones. You'd be better off taking out a student loan.
Old 10-17-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Being a knee-deep sailor is much cooler than one might think. I second Mopower's recommendation.

Oh hell yeah. Get stationed in Ft Lauderdale. Get to shoot drug runners and rescue drowning Cubans. Cake.
Old 10-17-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Outside of aircrew, AFSF, or the elite Pararescue units, I don't recall the USAF physical fitness requirements being all that. And if you don't want to be deployed, don't join any of the services. Seriously.
The air force has actually been using new stricter physical fitness requirements to boot people out of the air force.

As for the OP's concerns

1. you need to be in decent shape, they have physical testing, squadrons all have gym time, and they keep track

2. You might go to Iraq, you might not, depending on your field, but your chances of being in danger are very, very slim. The Air Force is not involved on the ground in the same way the Army and Marines are.

3. Being an officer in the Air Force really appeals to some people. The pay can be good, the benefits are great (dental,medical,housing,etc) and you get to travel a lot.
Old 10-17-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my only advice is pick a job where you can get employed in the civilian world

when you go see the career counselor after the ASVAB, tell them to look out as far as possible for good school slots
Old 10-17-06, 07:02 PM
Banned

Why not get a degree in logistics and head to work in defence logistics (DLA) in Ohio? IIRC if you join ROTC in college they'll pay for your education and you get a stipend. There's probably minimal risk of a person with logistics forcasting skills being put in the back of a humvee and it'll be 4 years later (then again, what do I know?)
Old 10-17-06, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by bballing
The pay can be good, the benefits are great (dental,medical,housing,etc) and you get to travel a lot.
I was in the Air Force, and unless things have seriously changed in the 5 years I've been out, the dental and medical benefits suck. First time I went to a civilian dentist after I got out, the dentist asked me who had previously worked on my teeth...when I told him he said he figured as such, since the work done was "half assed at best, typical of what I see from ex-military".

Medical isn't any better. I have so many medical horror stories that happened to me and my friends while I was in the Air Force, that I sit down and tell them to anyone I know that is thinking about joining.

Honestly, the horrible way I saw the Air Force treat their members(both officer and enlisted) when it came to medical and dental played a huge part in my decision to get out. A lot of people that have never been in always want to list medical/dental as a plus to military life...but it really isn't....not from what I saw in my 11 years.
Old 10-17-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
You could join the Coast Guard. No chance of going to Iraq with that one.

I wouldn't say "no" chance.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ast+guard+iraq
Old 10-17-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, damn. Scratch that then.
Old 10-17-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can join "old Navy" - I don't think they've ever deployed anyone.
Old 10-17-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I have a bachelors degree in communications
then go to OCS

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.