Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it hard to print your own checks from scratch?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-16-06, 09:59 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to print a few completed checks (Ill sign them individually)

I can replicate the look of a check with fonts, scanning etc but is there any reason they wont be legal tender as long as they have all the right numbers?

Lots of places online insist I should use magnetic ink or special paper. Is that really important?
Old 10-16-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you expect your check to actually go though the clearing process then yes you need micr encoded ink.

Unless you don't intend them to be negotiable
Old 10-16-06, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If you expect your check to actually go though the clearing process then yes you need micr encoded ink.

Unless you don't intend them to be negotiable
Not true at all

I'm using a product (can't quite remember the name of it, but it's the only vendor out there that sells at CompUSA/Best Buy) that has check stock and computer software that allows you to use an inkjet or laser printer.

I've been printing checks using the product for years and they go through fine.

No need to use MICR
Old 10-16-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am suprised this goes on as non MICR encoded items have to be manually processed, thereby increasing the chance for error.

http://www.asapchecks.com/micr/micr-faq.htm

Here is additional info that I was unaware of since being out of banking for more than 10 years

However, almost all banks (more than 90%) now use optical sensors (OCR -Optical Character Recognition) to read your checks. This means that the banks' equipment can read the MICR characters as long as they are printed clearly and accurately, with magnetic or standard ink or toner.
http://www.checkmagic.com/FAQ.htm

My final thought is, how much money will you really save by printing your own? I do know that when I was in banking there were ways to get free check even for businesses, I am sure that is still true today.
Old 10-16-06, 10:46 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

My bank wants to charge $40 for checks. Im a designer with lots of downtime so its crossed my mind to preprint a few of the checks I regularly pay.
Old 10-16-06, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
My final thought is, how much money will you really save by printing your own? I do know that when I was in banking there were ways to get free check even for businesses, I am sure that is still true today.
Personal checks are usually free, but company checks aren't. I pay $130 for a book of checks for my company (through a 3rd party -- the bank wants more).

They also sell micr ink for inkjet printers that only runs about $20. If you're paranoid.
Old 10-16-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My father once told me he wrote a check on a dryer sheet, as long as the numbers were there it was fine.

eh
Old 10-17-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
Not true at all

I'm using a product (can't quite remember the name of it, but it's the only vendor out there that sells at CompUSA/Best Buy) that has check stock and computer software that allows you to use an inkjet or laser printer.

I've been printing checks using the product for years and they go through fine.

No need to use MICR
Well, they don't actually. I work for a bank and know that our proof department HATES these computer printed checks because they do not go through "fine." The point behind the MICR line is that it can be processed automatically through their machines, and these desktop created checks with regular ink are constantly being rejected.

And, while they are pretty good about getting them posted to your account otherwise, from time to time I've had customers complain that their checks didn't post to their accounts right away because it goes to "non-post" first.

And, like somebody mentioned above, this increases the chance for error. Just like if you use counter deposit slips rather than your own. Anytime I've had a customer call me about a non posted item, it's ALWAYS counter deposit slips or desktop printed checks. And just beacuse all of yours have gone through fine, don't be surprised if there is an error one day.
Old 10-17-06, 01:53 AM

bought checks for all of my companies from walmart.com

seems about the cheapest around and the turnaround was very quick, less than a week i think.