Reload this Page >

Don't Drink the Water (in Atlanta...)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-15-06, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else heard about problems with the Atlanta city water?

My in-laws (who all live in the area) refuse to drink the city water. They all drink and give their pets bottled water unless they're cooking. Their logic:

My sister-in-law went to the hospital and was diagnosed with e.coli. She asked the doctor where she could have gotten it, and his response was that he sees "several" cases every week from people who get it by drinking city water. She (the sister) did some research and found out that there were problems because the water intake from the Chattahoochee was so close to the effluent from the city waste treatment plant (eww).

Anyway, so I said that it was all fooey and that if it was true, people would be dropping like flies across the city and there'd be a huge lawsuit.

Today I'm starting to question it, though.

When I moved to Atlanta, I had two large fish tanks full of fish. My fish were very healthy, some were young (less than a year), some were middle-aged (1 to 3 years) and some were mature (3+ years old). Soon after I moved, they started dying off. I couldn't figure it out (still can't), especially considering my excellent track-record.

At first I thought it was a disease, but none of the fish showed signs, and it broke out in two different tanks and two different quarantine tanks. The water quality looks good and I've brought samples to two different stores to verify my measurements are correct.

One of my in-laws has a basic 30-gal fish tank, and they reported the same problem with fish dying right after they moved (which traumatized their kids). They started putting bottled water in the tank (which isn't cheap! Especially when you have two fish tanks that are each over 100 gallons) and the fish are fine.

I'm now down to one fish, and he's barely hanging on. I've got him in a quarantine tank and he's getting bottled water for right now. I want to just completely dump the big tanks, but they'll take 6 months to get back up, and I'll be killing the live rock.

Anyway, I'm not looking for fish advice .... there are other boards for that. I'm just looking to see if anyone else knows of problems with the city water.

cliffs notes are bolded

Last edited by matta; 10-15-06 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-15-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just flushed my toilet and sent some water your way. It' s a bit chunky, but no e.coli that I know of. Enjoy!

(I actually live in Duluth)
Old 10-15-06, 04:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Some municipalities have moved from simple chlorinated water, where it's pretty easy to remove the chlorine for a fish tank, to using chloramine which is more stable and requires particular chemicals to remove since it also incorporates ammonia. And ammonia is a primary killer of fish.

I only use reverse-osmosis treated water that I buy in quantity from a water store for about 35 per gallon. Considering it doesn't have minerals or the dreaded phosphorus which promotes algae growth, I find it well worth it.
Old 10-15-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Other than a pipe break in Dekalb this summer I've never heard of any issues with Atlanta water. I pretty much only drink tap water and have zero fear about it.
Old 10-15-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

born and raised in the atlanta area....have lived inside and outside the city and never had any problems with the water
Old 10-15-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jadasion
born and raised in the atlanta area....have lived inside and outside the city and never had any problems with the water
If you were born and raised with drinking the water then you should not have a problem with it.
Old 10-16-06, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by X
Some municipalities have moved from simple chlorinated water, where it's pretty easy to remove the chlorine for a fish tank, to using chloramine which is more stable and requires particular chemicals to remove since it also incorporates ammonia. And ammonia is a primary killer of fish.
Our local municipality uses chloramine in the water. They warn folks who have certain health problems, such as kidney problems, immuno-suppression issues, transplant patients and tropical fish owners to not use the tap water.

They suggest bottled water as an alternative....(as opposed to a filtering device.)