YouTube, copyrights, and pet memorial videos

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-15-06, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With YouTube being on the front page again recently with the Google acquisition, copyright infringement is naturally also being discussed.

Not long before this headline appeared, I posted a little memorial video I put together for my girlfriend, whose cat passed away recently. In the video, I spliced in a snippet of a nice relevant song.

After posting the video, I noticed all the other pet memorial videos people have posted on YouTube, each with their own nice music to convey their feelings toward their departed pets.

This got me thinking, will the music companies be so petty that they will go after these kinds of videos with their music being used for something so harmless?

Sub-question: With all the pet threads that people start, has anyone here done a memorial video for their pet?
Old 10-15-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it. If they were going to start going after people for using copyrighted music and video clips and etc in their homemade videos, they'd have to take down half of YouTube, Google Video, YTMND, and every other site like that. I think you're in the clear.
Old 10-15-06, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Given the prior behavior of the RIAA and the MPAA, I wouldn't be surprised. If it becomes popular, the RIAA will get on the bandwagon and attack it. Just give it time.
Old 10-15-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, actually, YouTube has been signing agreements with various record labels which would make it okay for users to use songs by their artists in their home-produced videos. I know Warner Bros. music group is one... Or, at least, they were definitely close to signing something last I read.

-ringding-
Old 10-15-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Given the prior behavior of the RIAA and the MPAA, I wouldn't be surprised. If it becomes popular, the RIAA will get on the bandwagon and attack it. Just give it time.
Or if there's money to be made, the lawyers will be lining up to sue Google, since they are the distributor of the copyrighted content, and that's where the money is. There's an article in the Chicago Tribune that says that are going to use a technology that can identify copyrighted content:

Excerpt from Chicago Tribune article:
"YouTube, based in San Mateo, Calif., has licensing deals with CBS Corp. and three major recording companies--Warner Music Group, Vivendi's Universal Music Group and Sony BMG Music Entertainment. The entertainment companies will get a cut of YouTube ad revenue each time someone views a video licensed by them.

YouTube stressed that it won't be filtering content itself.

Instead, the technology it's developing will allow copyright owners "to identify their content, locate it and then make a decision based on whether they want to remove it," said spokeswoman Julie Supan."

It's a pretty good idea, putting the burden on the copyright holder, but I doubt it will insulate them from all lawsuits.
Old 10-15-06, 01:29 PM

That Backstreet Boys video has been on YouTube since the very beginning. I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Old 10-15-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, my initial question wasn't so much about music videos. I've put up several music videos and movie clips until they suspended my account, because of having to remove most of them (I have a new account now). I was wondering more about the audio being used for things like pet videos, or karaoke/lip-synch type videos, and stuff like that. I wouldn't think the record industries would bother with something that isn't infringeing on the artists in the least bit. It's not like the people in those videos are making a profit from them or anything.
Old 10-15-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't you use a certain--small--portion of a song without paying royalties or something?
I would *hope* that the industry wouldn't sue people for singing a line or a verse in something like a memorial or a personal montage that is clearly not for profit, especially if the person gives credit. However, I wouldn't put it past them, it seems they're doing everything they can to resist the 21st century and the electronization of music/commerce.
Old 10-15-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used the first 1:30 of a song, but come to think of it, I didn't give any kind of credit. Maybe I should go back in and do that.
Old 10-15-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
It's not like the people in those videos are making a profit from them or anything.
No, but YouTube is. It sounds like they're working out deals, though. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're just making your own amateur videos. If you start charging other people to make pet memorial videos for them, then you could have a problem.
Old 10-15-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I agree, especially with Google in the mix now. Before going after YouTube meant going after a company with no money. Now you've got Google to go after, and they've got tons of money. If there is money to be had the RIAA/MPAA will be there.