Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone completed a manager-in-training program for a retail store? (Target)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-13-06, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I need a career. I'm getting a Business Administration degree in December and got laid off from my other job.

Has anyone completed any of these manager training programs? How did it go? Target has an opportunity for a Executive Team Leader which, according to the ad, pays in the mid 40's per year. Not great money, but better than nothing.

So, if you have any knowledge on these programs, not just Target but similar stores, do you think it is a good career option? Is there opportunity to make good money?

My biggest concern is that if completed they will want me to relocate out of state or something, and I do not want to move from where I'm at.

I had more questions, but my mind just went blank.
Old 10-13-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my good friends is an Asst Mgr for Wal-Mart. If I recall correctly, the training program took about 2-3 months and then he got his assignment. With stores like Wal-Mart and Target, there's enough of them around that there should be an opening somewhere in your general vicinity. I know Wal-Mart let him request where he wanted to go and he got a store about 10 miles from there. The pay is decent, and there is a lot of room for advancement (This will probably require relocation though). He started making mid 40's a year and a half ago and is about to be promoted to CoManager making mid 80's. Store managers typically make six figures with lots of them making over 200. The downside to all this; the hours suck, be prepared to work overnight and 60 hour weeks normally and 80 hour weeks during the holidays. The work environment is also pretty bad, your employees typically make around $8-10/hr and work accordingly, and you have to deal with some shitty customers. Let me know what other questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Keep in mind this information is a combination of my friends experience and my personal experience working in retail (about 5 years through high school and college)
Old 10-13-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they hire you, they would put you in a store within a certain geographic district which contains a number of target stores in that area. they wouldnt train you and them put you in a store thats extremely far away because you could quit and they'd be wasting all the money they spent on training you. The good thing about working for a large retailer is that you have flexibility and can request a transfer to another state if you so desired.
Old 10-13-06, 11:52 PM

Thanks John, do you know if the benefits are good? Insurance, vacation, etc.

And not really that important, but what about employee discounts?
Old 10-14-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Despite what all the Wal-Mart critics have to say, they do give fairly decent benefits. Don't quote me on this but if you are starting new with the company, I think they'll give you about 2 weeks vacation per year along with 1 week sick pay and a couple personal days and this will increase the longer you work with the company. Employee discount is only 10%.

These jobs tend to have a high turnover mainly for the reasons I listed previously which is why the companies tend to hire from within, these employees already know what to expect. I was offered into the programs at both my retail jobs but declined mainly because of the long, irregular hours.

Have you ever worked in retail before?
Old 10-14-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i heard starbucks store managers make $55,000 in NYC
Old 10-14-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Retail is hell, run away!!!!!!

For a serious response, I work in a grocery store. The hours suck. The pay doesn't equal out to the hours. For instance, I'm salaried at 50 hours a week, with a base pay. Veryoften, the extra hour or two a day I put in here and there, make my pay per hour less then some of my subordinates.

Its not a bad job, its incredibly stable, and overall the customers are the biggest pitfall.
Old 10-14-06, 10:24 AM

I spoke to the Target recruiters at the career fair here at UMASS a couple of weeks ago. They weren't that busy since most of the students were swarming around the booths for the CPA and investment banking firms.

I was told that you could choose more or less where you wanted to work, and that the Assistant Manager's job would pay $45K plus up to $5K in bonuses the first year. They made a big thing out of the "work/life balance" and said that only 45 hours a week would be required and every other weekend would be off. They are also very willing to hire non-business majors.

What school are you attending and what concentration is your degree in? You may have better options.
Old 10-14-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by foggy
They made a big thing out of the "work/life balance" and said that only 45 hours a week would be required and every other weekend would be off.
They tell everyone that to get them in the door.
Old 10-14-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone else see the irony of a guy named Lee Harvey Oswald wanting to work in a place called Target?
Old 10-14-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess his library job didn't quite work out
Old 10-14-06, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by foggy
What school are you attending and what concentration is your degree in? You may have better options.
Thee Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois. Degree will be Business Administration. I'm 26 and have worked full time since graduating high school. I went to school at night and weekends.

My work experience is only in accounting. I've worked in office environments which I do not particularly like. I hate accounting and I'm looking for something different. I just don't know what. But I'm laid off and need a job pretty soon. I've been sending resumes out to many places, mostly sales jobs, but no good response yet.
Old 10-14-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by John Galt
I guess his library job didn't quite work out
5/5
Old 10-14-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife is starting a new retail management job on Oct 23rd and she has to go to Vestal, NY for three weeks for training. That's near Binghamton and about 200 miles away, so she'll be gone M-F and come home on weekends for the training.
So I'll be alone for most of the next three weeks. ....................
Old 10-14-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've worked for Target for 6 years and it totally fucking blew. Like others have said, the environment is total shit. There's no respect from anyone, not your superiors, not your employees and certainly not from any customers. You receive news from corporate that your store must make XXX amount of profit per day and get XX amount of red cards (Target Credit Cards) if you do not meet those goals you berate the people below you. If you do meet those goals, whoopie-do-fucking-do, you still gotta worry about the days in the week/month that you didn't. It's a never ending hell. It's totally fucking random when you work. You do get every other weekend off but who fucking cares when some days you are there till 1 AM or 3 AM during Christmas. I can't recommend working for Target to anyone. I wouldn't go back for $100K/year.

If for some ungodly reason you decide to work for Target at least wait till January after the shit storm has passed.
Old 10-15-06, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've worked for Target for 6 years and it totally fucking blew. Like others have said, the environment is total shit. There's no respect from anyone, not your superiors, not your employees and certainly not from any customers. You receive news from corporate that your store must make XXX amount of profit per day and get XX amount of red cards (Target Credit Cards) if you do not meet those goals you berate the people below you. If you do meet those goals, whoopie-do-fucking-do, you still gotta worry about the days in the week/month that you didn't. It's a never ending hell. It's totally fucking random when you work. You do get every other weekend off but who fucking cares when some days you are there till 1 AM or 3 AM during Christmas. I can't recommend working for Target to anyone. I wouldn't go back for $100K/year.

If for some ungodly reason you decide to work for Target at least wait till January after the shit storm has passed.
So, you didn't like it huh. What did you do there?
Old 10-15-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my best friends was an assistant and Walmart. He hated it. Hours sucked. He worked over 50 hours a week. Employees suck. Managers suck. The whole environment sucked. I worked there for 3 years in HS and it sucked then. But it beat fast food. If you've never worked for the public you're in for a BIG surprise.
Old 10-15-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
So, you didn't like it huh. What did you do there?
Various jobs. Worked on the cash registers, pushed carts, stocked shelves, helped out electronics, toys, softlines (clothes), and other things. I wasn't in any type of managerial position but I can't imagine it being any better. My friend has tried moving up the food chain and has been promoted three times and I just walked into a job that pays more than his does. I guess if you are tired of the office environment maybe you should try it out but it's not any better.