Saving Collector's Items & Limited Edition things

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-13-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious how many people do this. Do you have anything odd around your house that you saved because it said "Collector's Item" or "Limited Edition" or something like that, simply because you thought it might be worth something some day? The kind of thing where if someone saw it, they'd probably say "why in the hell do you have that?"

My example: I was just getting something out of my pantry, and saw I still have a box of Corn Flakes with Nolan Ryan on it, from 1993. It's one of those things that just kind of sits out of sight for so long that you pretty much take it for granted it's there, and for the most part you just ignore it. Yet, it's still there after all these years.

Anyone else?
Old 10-13-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saved all of my late 70's early 80's punk vinyl - but not really for re-sale because I still listen to them (although I have transferred them to CD). All my old skateboard decks, the real silver dollars and indian pennies and my Coleco Vision with about 90 games (still play it as well). My parents own an art gallery, so I've bought pieces of artwork form time to time that have appreciated well.

Other than that nothing.....
Old 10-13-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Countless boxes of Wheaties.
Old 10-13-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Comic books.
Old 10-13-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Comic books.

Marvel?

Ever get into Venom?????
Old 10-13-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I have a fair amount of comics, etc. I remember well when the variant covers, and stuff started happening, and that made me lose interest completely. I look to Spawn 1 being the end of comics really being collectable. Good book, but I'm just talking about that point in time.
Old 10-13-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just looked in another cabinet and remembered I also have three empty cottage cheese containers. Not just any cottage cheese containers, but marked with the "Heath" logo. Yes, the same Heath that makes your favorite toffee bar packaged and sold cottage cheese back in the early part of the 20th century.

Collector's item? Time will tell.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 10-13-06 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-13-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So you guys are the ones holding onto cereal boxes. I wondered about that... do you keep them unopened? Are they flattened out?

I stopped collecting that kind of stuff because I knew it was the beginning of a long and dark road. I didn't want to be one of those guys with two bookcases of figurines.
Old 10-13-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
Ever get into Venom?????
I sold my Secret Wars #8 a while ago. I think the only Venom stuff I have are the Maximum Carnage x-overs.

Got a bunch of Valiant titles.
Old 10-13-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
So you guys are the ones holding onto cereal boxes. I wondered about that... do you keep them unopened? Are they flattened out?
My Nolan Ryan box is still unopened and chock full of most-likely-incredibly-stale cereal.
Old 10-13-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-13-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I gave my 87-88 Lakers back to back Wheaties to a friend that is a bigger fan. I took the cereal out and the box had become pretty worn.

I still have the 92 USA Men's Olympic Basketball Starting Line-up set.
Old 10-13-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a box under my bed of stuff I got out of cereal boxes and through mail-ins. I'm not even sure what's in there anymore, but I do know of at least one thing that's still in there...

"Behold my works, ye mighty, and despair."
Old 10-13-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't want to be one of those guys with two bookcases of figurines.
They're called action figures.

Speaking of which, I still have an unopened, promo Starcraft WarPig action figure that has fetched upwards of $100 on ebay.

Last edited by GMan2819; 10-13-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-13-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comic books.
It makes no sense to me to see "comic books" followed by a frowny face.

I save way too much crap. And it probably is crap as opposed to actual collectible stuff. Just one example is those stupid (yet oh-so neat-looking) fake credit cards that come with all the card offers - I keep the stupid (yet oh-so neat-looking) fake cards! I'm not talking about the standard cards, but the really cool ones that are clear or blue or ... yeah, I got a pile of them. Useless, valueless, but I got 'em. (now it's time for a frowny face)
Old 10-13-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster
It makes no sense to me to see "comic books" followed by a frowny face.
The OP asked, "Do you have anything odd around your house that you saved because it said "Collector's Item" or "Limited Edition" or something like that, simply because you thought it might be worth something some day?"

I have comic books that I collected just for thinking I'd turn a profit in the future. And I have comic books that I collected for pure enjoyment. Unfortunately, I have more of the former than the latter.
Old 10-13-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i learned long ago that mutual funds are much more sound investment than comics, toys, etc.

i keep things I enjoy now...toss the rest
Old 10-13-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The OP asked, "Do you have anything odd around your house that you saved because it said "Collector's Item" or "Limited Edition" or something like that, simply because you thought it might be worth something some day?"

I have comic books that I collected just for thinking I'd turn a profit in the future. And I have comic books that I collected for pure enjoyment. Unfortunately, I have more of the former than the latter.
Ah, I understand now. I also have a pile of comics that I bought for the same reason. I was never good at guessing what would eventually be valuable.
Old 10-13-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The issue where Superman dies is worth $100's on Ebay now, right?
Old 10-13-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I have a box under my bed of stuff I got out of cereal boxes and through mail-ins. I'm not even sure what's in there anymore, but I do know of at least one thing that's still in there...

"Behold my works, ye mighty, and despair."
I just came cross a few of these last night. My parents brought a lot of those plastic totes to my house, now that I have one and they wanted the crap out of the attic.

Looking through it, I just think it's easier to give it all to a nephew or something, then try to scrounge up a few bucks on ebay. I have a load of comics, baseball cards etc. I'm sure worth nothing, and to lazy to figure out if that is/isn't right. Maybe I should find one of those places that sell your stuff for you on ebay.
Old 10-13-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The issue where Superman dies is worth $100's on Ebay now, right?
Are you fuckin' shittin' me? However, which printing? I've been trying to unload the whole series, from the first appearance of Doomsday to the end of Reign of the Supermen.

[EDIT]Hmm.. ok, you're kidding But I have the same issues, in duplicate no less, that this guy has in his auction.

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-13-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-13-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are you fuckin' shittin' me? However, which printing? I've been trying to unload the whole series, from the first appearance of Doomsday to the end of Reign of the Supermen.

[EDIT]Hmm.. ok, you're kidding But I have the same issues, in duplicate no less, that this guy has in his auction.
I think I have almost all those too. Then again I remember buying the first doomsday ones for like 20 bucks a pop back in the day. If I could half that I would be excited.
Old 10-13-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I think I have almost all those too. Then again I remember buying the first doomsday ones for like 20 bucks a pop back in the day. If I could half that I would be excited.
I got lucky at certain times with what I collected for enjoyment and very unlucky with collecting for investment. But I was young and stupid. Had eBay been around, I would have flipped those comics easily because demand was so high, but as it became clearer of what the actual print run were on issues, I didn't capitalize on getting rid of them and held long to my dismay.
Old 10-13-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GMan2819
They're called action figures.
I call them dolls!!!
Old 10-13-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have this in my collection (still factory sealed) and just discovered how much it's worth:

$100 on ebay and as much as $200 on Amazon Marketplace.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.