Reload this Page >

Veiled threat while jogging

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-13-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I was running through an older, mainly black neighborhood about a half mile from my home. 2/3 of my run that day was on a bike trail that just skirts this "rough" neighborhood. Sometimes I like to run through that area because I don't have to deal with any traffic near the end of the bike trail run.

I've been jogging through this area for about a year now with no problems even though I was fully aware there probably weren't too many white people going through there (but there are a few new, nice homes dotting the neighborhood and some of those folks are white... gentrification bigtime). Anyway, I ran past a basketball court and said hello to two young guys standing on the sidewalk. Nice dressed kids about 15-years-old. One kid pointed behind me and said, "The bike trail is back that way." I could only mutter, "Yeah, but I'm going this way." His friend then shouted out something I couldn't understand but I did hear the word "mugged". In a hopeful world they were being nice and warning me, but it really just felt like, "Get off our f'ing turf homie."

It worked. I'm not going back there again. And it really disappointed me. I guess I'm a little naive at times, but I can't stand racism. It's so freakin' insidious and now I can understand just a tiny bit how it feels. It's sad that these guys are so young and already playing that game. Most of the older folks I've passed in that neighborhood said "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" back to me.

I realize they might have grown up in the neighborhood and aren't happy with the changes or that they were just showing off to each other, but it still sucks.
Old 10-13-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

and you aren't being racist at all by thinking you're being mugged solely because of your race and not because there are 2 of them and only 1 of you?
Old 10-13-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have mugged them.
Old 10-13-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what you get for speaking.
Old 10-13-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thunderball
and you aren't being racist at all by thinking you're being mugged solely because of your race and not because there are 2 of them and only 1 of you?
I was waiting for this kind of response and almost didn't start this thread becasue I've seen some heated discussions here (which I've always stayed out of). Read the last line of my post. I said I realize it might have been something different. And I didn't feel like these guys were actually going to mug me, but they were clearly telling me not to run in that neighborhood. Why do you think that's the case? I mean, what would be your first thought?
Old 10-13-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet they eat at Logan's Steak House too.
Old 10-13-06, 08:30 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

What in the world are you carrying that's worth mugging you for? When I run, I don't even carry a key with me. Just a crappy mp3 players, a pair of shorts, and old tennis shoes.

Anyway, seems like better exercise to run through the bad neighborhood. Running for your life just melts the pounds away.
Old 10-13-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you racist dog, you. . . you redneck backwoods double wide pitchfork holdin blue eyed WHITEY !!!!

i bet you even watch nascar
Old 10-13-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flay
What in the world are you carrying that's worth mugging you for?
Nothing. That's why I throw a little more caution to the wind when I'm running. Anyone who tries to mug me would certainly be wasting their time.

Logan's comment:
Old 10-13-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My first thought, would be to not run thru a sketchy neighborhood if I thought I could be put into some sort of danger.

I also dont' make eye contact with strangers , nor do I speak to them. Especially if I'm in a sketchy neighborhood.
Old 10-13-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Thunderball
My first thought, would be to not run thru a sketchy neighborhood if I thought I could be put into some sort of danger.

I also dont' make eye contact with strangers , nor do I speak to them. Especially if I'm in a sketchy neighborhood.
Agree about the sketchy neighborhood part. I just got bored running the same route all the time and I have limited options in the area surrounding my subdivision. I really haven't had any issues until this small incident (I realize it's not a huge issue). But I do disagree with the strangers part... or at least I don't like the idea of never saying hi to someone I pass on the sidewalk while jogging. Doesn't seem like a big deal being a little friendly.
Old 10-13-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, this is how I figured it, when I'm out walking or running, I can usually see the person coming up in front of me, and I can pretty much tell if I need to do the jogger/walker "nod" to that person or not. Usually they have their headphones as well, and have their head down. Sometimes they'll give the look and nod, and I'll return it.

I don't want to give anyone an excuse to bother me.
Old 10-13-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But should I say hi to the passed out bum I've actually jumped over on the bike trail? Or the guy the other day who was stumbling back and forth drunk? I've seen some funny things around here. Most of the people I pass aren't out there for exercise.
Old 10-13-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you seen those guys on a regular basis? Or are you being chased off by a comment from bored, agressive 15-year olds who don't actually have any stake in the turf?
Old 10-13-06, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flay
What in the world are you carrying that's worth mugging you for? When I run, I don't even carry a key with me. Just a crappy mp3 players, a pair of shorts, and old tennis shoes.
That's what I was thinking. Mugging a jogger is about as good of an idea as mugging a college student.
Old 10-13-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Have you seen those guys on a regular basis? Or are you being chased off by a comment from bored, agressive 15-year olds who don't actually have any stake in the turf?
Nope, haven't seen them before. By turf, I wasn't alluding to gang activity or anything like that. Just some stranger jogging through where they live. I normally jog in the morning and don't see many kids outside. This one day I happened to be running in the afternoon after school was let out. Anyway, I'm always more apprehensive jogging past teenagers than older people. Bored + aggressive isn't always a good mix.

edit... about being mugged. I didn't think I was going to be mugged by these guys. There were a lot of other people outside playing basketball when I ran by. I only felt it was a comment to scare me from jogging in their neighborhood again.

Last edited by atlantamoi; 10-13-06 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-13-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I was waiting for this kind of response and almost didn't start this thread becasue I've seen some heated discussions here (which I've always stayed out of). Read the last line of my post. I said I realize it might have been something different. And I didn't feel like these guys were actually going to mug me, but they were clearly telling me not to run in that neighborhood. Why do you think that's the case? I mean, what would be your first thought?
I would think you're racist because you felt it necessary to mention in the first sentence that it's a black neighborhood, and that you equate "gentrification" with "white", but that's just me, I guess.
Old 10-13-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I would think you're racist because you felt it necessary to mention in the first sentence that it's a black neighborhood, and that you equate "gentrification" with "white", but that's just me, I guess.
Huh? Just dealing with reality. Wouldn't be a point to the story if I was blue and jogging in a neighborhood with blue people. I'm white. The neighborhood is older and established with almost all black people. What is racist about mentioning that? Seriously. The gentrification I see in this area is mostly white people moving in. Am I the only one who thinks racism means that you view some other race as better than yourself? I'll admit to some prejudices... as every single person on this planet has. And I'm freely willing to look inside myself and see if I need to change or rethink my attitude. But I don't get how mentioning the complexity of a neighborhood = racism.
Old 10-13-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One kid makes a comment that may or may not have been a threat (most likely just a general remark about the area, not him planning to mug you), and it's a commentary on insidious racism?

das
Old 10-13-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you Tracer.
Old 10-13-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
One kid makes a comment that may or may not have been a threat (most likely just a general remark about the area, not him planning to mug you), and it's a commentary on insidious racism?

das
Yeah, if it were me, and I didn't hear them completely, especially if they used the word "mugged" and I didn't hear any profanity, I'd just assume they were giving me a friendly warning, or saying they hoped I didn't get mugged.
Old 10-13-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You must have disrespected them.

BTW, don't you know it's impossible for anyone other than whites to be racist?
Old 10-13-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
Okay, maybe a little heavy handed. But racism does suck (duh). But I truly was upset by this because it's not something I'm used to and it also means I'm going to change my routine. Didn't want to do that.
Old 10-13-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If everyone paid attention to all the insults or threats hurled from teenagers we wouldn't have time to worry about anything else.
Old 10-13-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Run through white neighborhoods only. There's never any crime there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.