Reload this Page >

Directv Installation (between 1pm and 5pm) issues

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-12-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I bit the bullet and signed up for Directv a few weeks ago to get the NFL Sunday Ticket and all that shit. Anyway, the earliest installation appt. was for today (even though the order placed was in Sept.) Believe it or not, the dude didn't show up. I am getting worried that he was in an accident or is in trouble somewhere....Actually, I could give a shit. You'd think they could, at least, call if they couldn't make it. I called the installation company and they couldn't contact the installation dude. Is there any way I can get free shit from Directv for this or is this just part of the game? Fortunately, I used some vacation hours to take the afternoon off, so those are spent. Since it's 5:15, do I even bother to answer the door if he shows? Is there a way I can stick it to him or, since I'm the customer, is there nothing I can do. Thanks for reading....

Old 10-12-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

THey did this to me as well. Tell them to cancel the service because you took vacation time, etc. and you won't do it again, and free shit will flow.
Old 10-12-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Dave said. You should be able to get free shit over & above what they offer for the initial install if you play your cards right. They want to make you happy so you become a customer.

I'd suggest calling up and demanding to speak with the cancellation department, because they have the most latitude when it comes to giving free stuff.
Old 10-12-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

will do. thanks dave and bananapants. I was all set with my loose-fitting bath robe ready for Carl Hungus to show up and get me some free Spice channel or something. Oh well, I did take a nap this afternoon where I dreamt over and over about me checking my watch to see how close to 5 it was.
Old 10-12-06, 05:59 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Directv is notorious for being late for appointments. They missed THREE appointments for me before finally showing up for the 4th appointment.
Old 10-12-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like many companies, DirecTV outsources, and in some areas of the country their partners are complete shit. Calling the installation company does nothing. Call DirecTV, bitch and moan, and get free shit. They don't like being made to look incompetent by shitty companies, but they can't always do much about it. It may not work, but try demanding to speak to the Fulfillment department. Your average CSR can't do much but call the installation company, but Fulfillment has the power to revoke installation contracts.

Worst case, you should be able to get some money back. Satellite television is all about recurring revenue. They're already sending the signal whether you have a dish or not, so with the exception of minor processing fees, you're just raw profit to them. They'll bend over backwards to keep you if they have you under contract, which means lots of free equipment, billing discounts, etc. Always remember this when dealing with them. If you pay your bill on time and have a decent service package, you have a lot of bargaining power.

das
Old 10-12-06, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Like many companies, DirecTV outsources
Ah, that could explain it. Perhaps he was driving in from Bangalore?
Old 10-12-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dick - just make sure you answer the door in your robe holding a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels and a bright pink ball gag - free shit shall cometh.

* Optional lit half cigarette hanging out of the corner of your mouth.....

Last edited by Minor Threat; 10-13-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-12-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They also contract out the installation sometimes to third parties. Then again Cablevision is known to do this too.
Old 10-12-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, I just got a call from the contractor. Apparently, they were supposed to contact me to cancel the installation since they didn't have any hd-dvrs in house. The said I could reschedule for 2 weeks when they MAY have hd-dvrs in stock. I'll call directv tomorrow and let them have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArmQ9JPeXA
Old 10-12-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's with the Hos(tetller) pic?

Definately milk them. That reminds me...Amazon owes me some $$.

-p
Old 10-12-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
What's with the Hos(tetller) pic?

Definately milk them. That reminds me...Amazon owes me some $$.

-p
I needed a pic to add some interest. Jeff Hostettler's appearance has always amused me. Also the Chameleons youtube was included just because the song rules.
Old 10-13-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After 5 no-shows (without calling to advise they wouldn't be coming) I finally had to cancel DTV. I called several times and got more money off my bill after each call, but it didn't even come close to being worth my wasted time. They sheepishly agreed to cancel my contract and I went with Dish Network, who have been very professional so far.
Old 10-13-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least it was 1-5, my cable company told me between 8 and 5, showed up at 5:15 and told me that I need to hire an electrician to do the work.
Old 10-13-06, 10:43 AM

Call and ask for Retention

Sure, you're a new customer, but you get the best deals with those guys.
Old 10-13-06, 12:23 PM

also ask that a standard receiver be given in the mean time in order to watch the games. Another option is to buy the receiver from a store and have DTV reimburse you. It is very simple to setup.
Old 10-19-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well, the rescheduled for the 27th. I called retention and got it moved to the 24th. Also, they gave me a $200 credit, waived the Super Fan price ($100), free monthly dvr or whatever, and the platinium package for 79.99 a month (after the promo is up). I just hope the installation works. Retention was great. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-19-06, 03:08 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. When I signed up for DTV the installer showed up right on time. He was scheduled to be there between 9-11 and he showed up at 9:10. He was done by 10:00. I thought I'd have to take the whole day off.
Old 10-19-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Wow. When I signed up for DTV the installer showed up right on time. He was scheduled to be there between 9-11 and he showed up at 9:10. He was done by 10:00. I thought I'd have to blow him the rest of the day.

Last edited by Minor Threat; 10-19-06 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 03:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I didn't realize at the time what an aberration that was. Maybe I should have called and complained.
Old 10-19-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
well, the rescheduled for the 27th. I called retention and got it moved to the 24th. Also, they gave me a $200 credit, waived the Super Fan price ($100), free monthly dvr or whatever, and the platinium package for 79.99 a month (after the promo is up). I just hope the installation works. Retention was great. Thanks for the help.

Nice compensation.

-p
Old 10-19-06, 03:37 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I have my DirectTV install scheduled for this Sat between 1-5pm. Wish me luck. They said I have to move my entertainment center 3 feet from the wall for installation. That's gonna suck, it's a heavy piece of crap. Who volunteers to help me?

*crickets*

Old 10-19-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VinVega
Well, I have my DirectTV install scheduled for this Sat between 1-5pm. Wish me luck. They said I have to move my entertainment center 3 feet from the wall for installation. That's gonna suck, it's a heavy piece of crap. Who volunteers to help me?

*crickets*

Hope you aren't getting their new HDDVR. They are sold out everywhere. There's an article on www.dbstalk.com about it. It's still a few more weeks before they replentish stock. Your appointment will likely get pushed back.
Old 10-19-06, 04:43 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Hope you aren't getting their new HDDVR. They are sold out everywhere. There's an article on www.dbstalk.com about it. It's still a few more weeks before they replentish stock. Your appointment will likely get pushed back.
Nah, I'm too cheap for HD. I'll squint at the fuzzy little pictures.
Old 10-19-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new HDDVR is still kind of buggy. we get software/firmware updates like once a week. Its pretty sweet though, program guide is a lot faster than the Tivo one and you dont have to hook to an antenna for locals

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.