Reload this Page >

SWAT team in school by my house!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-12-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a SWAT team searching the middle school 1/2 mile from my house. A student reported a suspicious, armed man in the school.

I was outside looking at the balloons. It's the Balloon Fiesta, and a couple dozen flew over the house this morning. I noticed that helicopters were simply circling, and that there had been an awful lot of police sirens.

I walked down the street to see what was going on. Police cars kept driving by at 90 mph. When I got to the roadblock, there must have been 50-60 police cars in the area. And more kept arriving. They would scream by in groups of five or six cars.

The school is in lockdown, and men wearing flack jackets are searching the campus. Two other schools are in lockdown as well. I talked to one of the mothers who was waiting at the roadblock, and she said that she'd already called her daughter's phone, and she didn't know anything about what was going on.

When I was a kid, if someone called in a bomb threat because he didn't want to take a test, the school was evacuated and four officers searched the place. It didn't make the papers. Now it's on every channel. Police are taking the opportunity to search every child's backpack. What do they do if they find a reefer in there, or a keychain pocket knife? Also, the school I went to had windows. When did schools start looking like prisons?
Old 10-12-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*crossing my fingers that nothing bad happens.....
Old 10-12-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[sidebar]How;s the festival this year? I proposed to my wife there some time ago during the festival.....stunning especially the night light.....[/sidebar]
Old 10-12-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

were you the suspicious man?
Old 10-12-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Balloon Fiesta is starting to go well. It rained Sunday and Monday, and everything was soggy on Tuesday. Today was great balloon weather, and it should remain good tomorrow. Unfortunately, my sister won't be here until Saturday, when the rain is due to come back.

I may be a suspicious person, but I wasn't lurking by that middle school!
Old 10-12-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hey your in albuerqueque....the crime capital of the world...>i swear, your town is in almost every single episode of cops in the late 90's....
Old 10-12-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
What do they do if they find a reefer in there, or a keychain pocket knife?
Probably suspension. It's illegal and students know it.
Old 10-13-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by phatboy
hey your in albuerqueque....the crime capital of the world...>i swear, your town is in almost every single episode of cops in the late 90's....

When I lived in Albuquerque, I told all of my family that the news was 30 minutes long with no commercials and broke down into 28 minutes of crime - 1 minute of weather - 1 minute of sports.

Did they ever find anyone at school?
Old 10-13-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by girlnextdoor
When I lived in Albuquerque, I told all of my family that the news was 30 minutes long with no commercials and broke down into 28 minutes of crime - 1 minute of weather - 1 minute of sports.
Why did you lie to your family?
Old 10-13-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
They all eventually came to visit and saw that I was exaggerating - there was commercials during the news.
Old 10-13-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It turned out to be a hoax. There was no strange armed man, dressed in black and wearing a black mask, who was wandering the hallways.

The girl who reported it just moved here from California and hates her new school.
Old 10-13-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And now, she REALLY hates it!

I remember in High School, calling in a bomb threat was a way to take the afternoon off. It NEVER made the news.
Old 10-13-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
And now, she REALLY hates it!

I remember in High School, calling in a bomb threat was a way to take the afternoon off. It NEVER made the news.
Same with me... it happened a few times during my 3 years at the Senior High School (which was only 10th-12th grade at the time). They passed it off as a very long fire drill (although everyone knew what had happened), and it never made the news.
Old 10-13-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson