Reload this Page >

It must be nice.....part 2

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-11-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I go to my bank today, and every teller is busy except the "must be nice" lady. No biggie. Not gonna' get to me. I ask her how much a cashier's check is and she says "Four dollars."

Just at that moment, the manager walks by and says, "We're having a special on them" and I can tell she is joking.

"Really," I say, "is it two for eight bucks?"

"Nope. 10% of the check."

"That doesn't sound too special to me."

And we laugh at the stupidity of it all, and she keeps walking. I make the check out for $4 more than the amount I want and hand it over.

"Wow, it must be nice to have that kind of money laying around in your account."

I kind of chuckle as I have not idea what to say. But I see the manager walking back over and it is obvious she heard the teller (everyone did). She says, "I'm glad we agreed to 10%. That's a nice chunk of change." Then the teller says, "It's my birthday next week."

WHAT THE HELL?

I'm not one to get mad, so I don't. I get through it. But then the teller asks if I am buying a house. I tell her I am buying some land. We complete the deal, and she says, "I'm looking for sponsors for my car in the derby next year." Like I am going to sponsor some demolition derby car of hers. "I already sponsor my cousin every year."

I don't, but it seemed like an easy way out.

I am stunned. It is one thing to have a teller say something....twice, but then for the manager to join in? Unbelievable.
Old 10-11-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why keep putting up with this? Take a few million out and put it in t-bills or something.
Old 10-11-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"buying land"

+

the town kvrdave lives in

+

10% of check

+

"must be nice having that kind of money around"

all adds up to this land being sold for about $550.
Old 10-11-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say its time to find another bank but there aren't that many options in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-11-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod
Why keep putting up with this? Take a few million out and put it in t-bills or something.
It's pure greed. Their money market account is paying just over 5% interest and the bank I use for business normally is under 3%. That translates into hundreds of cents per year.
Old 10-11-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Move to EmigrantDirect. They pay 5.05%
Old 10-11-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dave mind telling me what town you live in or by? If it is within a few hours I'm going on a "Kvr Star Tour" with my kid one of these days.
Old 10-11-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Such is the price you pay for being the only guy in town with a horseless carriage and indoor plumbing.
Old 10-11-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Okay, I go to my bank today, and every teller is busy except the "must be nice" lady. No biggie. Not gonna' get to me. I ask her how much a cashier's check is and she says "Four dollars."

Just at that moment, the manager walks by and says, "We're having a special on them" and I can tell she is joking.

"Really," I say, "is it two for eight bucks?"

"Nope. 10% of the check."

"That doesn't sound too special to me."

And we laugh at the stupidity of it all, and she keeps walking. I make the check out for $4 more than the amount I want and hand it over.

"Wow, it must be nice to have that kind of money laying around in your account."

I kind of chuckle as I have not idea what to say. But I see the manager walking back over and it is obvious she heard the teller (everyone did). She says, "I'm glad we agreed to 10%. That's a nice chunk of change." Then the teller says, "It's my birthday next week."

WHAT THE HELL?

I'm not one to get mad, so I don't. I get through it. But then the teller asks if I am buying a house. I tell her I am buying some land. We complete the deal, and she says, "I'm looking for sponsors for my car in the derby next year." Like I am going to sponsor some demolition derby car of hers. "I already sponsor my cousin every year."

I don't, but it seemed like an easy way out.

I am stunned. It is one thing to have a teller say something....twice, but then for the manager to join in? Unbelievable.
Sounds to me like they feel they have a relationship with you where they can joke around. Doesn't really sound harmful to me .
Old 10-11-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Dave mind telling me what town you live in or by? If it is within a few hours I'm going on a "Kvr Star Tour" with my kid one of these days.
Goldendale, WA. I'm 2 hours East of Portland, OR.

I do have a good relationship, and a joking relationship, with nearly everyone around, but wouldn't you still keep your voice down a bit?
Old 10-11-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Goldendale, WA. I'm 2 hours East of Portland, OR.

I do have a good relationship, and a joking relationship, with nearly everyone around, but wouldn't you still keep your voice down a bit?
I think you should tell her the thing about your penis, like you did the lady on the telephone.
Old 10-11-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

These threads never fail to make me, quite literally, laugh out loud.

God love KVR and his bank. They must think Daddy Warbucks has wandered in every time you show up.

Last edited by Draven; 10-11-06 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is a difference between laughing WITH and laughing AT....sorry kvrdave.

-p
Old 10-11-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still puzzled about the 10% fee. Doesn't sound like something a manager would say even as a joke.

and yeah, kvrdave, it must be nice to be the king of trailer park town.
Old 10-11-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Next time you should walk in with a top hat and a monocle.

At this point, it would probably be a good idea to mention this to one of the upper managers or the branch manager. If the branch manager is acting like this, then tell corporate. If corporate is the branch then I don't know what else to tell you but deal with it.

I remember when I deposited my first check at my first "real" post-college job. The young, attractive teller said, "Wow, that's a lot!" and asked me what I did. Keep in mind:
A) The paycheck was monthly, maybe she thought it was weekly.
B) I look young for my age so at that time I looked a few months over 7.
I did not do the smart thing and ask her out.

When I first got my car loan at the credit union, the older, experienced manager complimented me on my car and she said "It's a very very nice car." I even saw her at the supermarket and she brought it up again.

I think ultimately, it would be nice to have your problem. The teller and manager acted unprofessional, and I would brush it off if it wasn't the second time this happened. I'd act on it as long as you don't mind transforming yourself from that loaded ball-less guy to that loaded ball-less asshole in the eyes of the employees.

Old 10-11-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe she's hitting on you
Old 10-11-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What kind of money are we talking about here
Old 10-11-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 10-11-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Five bucks and your own comb is considered rich in his part of the country, so... probably $10 and no comb.
Old 10-11-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$550
Old 10-11-06, 06:52 PM

This whole thing is a little weird, but atleast you don't have the opposite problem.
Old 10-11-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Five bucks and your own comb is considered rich in his part of the country, so... probably $10 and no comb.
I see you've made your way down The Gorge.
Old 10-11-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
laundered
Old 10-11-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I dream of one day living in a town where everyone knows everyone else and next year's demolition derby is already the talk of the town.
Old 10-11-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
1. I am sure they discuss your account during breaks (ahh memories)
2. they probably go home and discuss your account with the families. To the topic of .. "What does he do with ALL that money" and "boy, would i love to get me a piece of that!"... 'that' meaning money .. not your ass
3. When friends come over they discuss how much money you have with their friends. '

So basically 2/3 of the population in your town (so like 100 people) know how much money you're holding.
No biggie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.