Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So they ban internet poker, but they show it on TV every night ???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-11-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone explain this one to me - they just recently banned internet poker for the US, well for most major sites anyways, for REAL MONEY wagers, but..

they show POKER on television just about anynight of the week - If they banned it because the politicians in all their wisdom decided that it promotes bad habbits and addiction issues, then why is it ok to show it on television all the time?

Seems like a double standard or something ?
Old 10-11-06, 01:01 AM

they bannend online poker? i had no idea. is this banned everywhere now? or is it one of those, x amount of sites is banned each day, kind of thing?
Old 10-11-06, 08:25 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For banning info, see here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479400

Actually, they didn't ban poker on the Internet. Just the means to deposit/withdraw money from a U.S. bank. Also, poker is still legal in many states as long as you play in a poker room. Nevada, Arizona, California, New Jersey, Connecticut, just to name a few.

Besides, should they then ban CSI on TV since it shows murders? Or movies like Ocean's Eleven since they're stealing?
Old 10-13-06, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by namja
For banning info, see here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479400

Actually, they didn't ban poker on the Internet. Just the means to deposit/withdraw money from a U.S. bank. Also, poker is still legal in many states as long as you play in a poker room. Nevada, Arizona, California, New Jersey, Connecticut, just to name a few.

Besides, should they then ban CSI on TV since it shows murders? Or movies like Ocean's Eleven since they're stealing?

So why did they do it then? How come its ok to play - but its NOT ok to play with money ???

So its ok for people to take their paycheck and go blow it on lottery tickets at the gas station, but they cant do it with online poker, WTF is wrong with our government. ridiculous .
Old 10-13-06, 01:45 AM
Stealth Moderator

(1) I agree with you about the ridiculousness of the law. I was merely explaining that you were wrong about the government banning Internet poker. The law does not do that. The law simply makes it more difficult to fund your poker account.

(2) Showing poker on TV has nothing to do with the legality of poker.
Old 10-13-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by skiblet
So its ok for people to take their paycheck and go blow it on lottery tickets at the gas station, but they cant do it with online poker, WTF is wrong with our government. ridiculous .
um, isn't it obvious??

when you go to the gas station and blow your money on lottery tickets, the government gets a nice cut from your habit. these poker sites aren't in the US, and thus, the government sees none of the money from your habit.

the government isn't trying to protect anyone but themselves here..
Old 10-13-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

skiblet, I wouldn't waste much time trying to figure this one out. It's simply a combination of outrageous moral hypocrisy and good ol' fashioned corruption. There really are no logical arguments to support this law as it is currently written.

das
Old 10-13-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If children see poker on TV they might be influenced to play the game, so obviously the next step will be to ban poker from TV.
Old 10-13-06, 01:48 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by Damfino
If children see poker on TV they might be influenced to play the game, so obviously the next step will be to ban poker from TV.
Like I said earlier, then they'd have to ban CSI from TV. And any program that shows murder. Heck, they'd have to ban the news from TV.
Old 10-13-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like I said earlier, then they'd have to ban CSI from TV. And any program that shows murder. Heck, they'd have to ban the news from TV.
Well, except Fox News of course, they will still need their propaganda machine.
Old 10-15-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen any internet poker on tv. What channel is it on, and when?
Old 10-15-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ever wonder why the crime rate drastically increased around the time violent television shows and music and TV were introduced to the public?
Old 10-15-06, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ever wonder why the crime rate drastically increased around the time violent television shows and music and TV were introduced to the public?
You have a link for this? And what "time" are you talking about? The 50s?
Old 10-15-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So why did they do it then? How come its ok to play - but its NOT ok to play with money ???

Who gets the money in that case? Ah yes, the government. [Granted, state, but still].

The government 'cares'. They don't want you to lose your precious money [except in taxes, and lottery tickets, etc]. But there's no harm in being glued to the tube for hours for a little vicarious experience every night. Bread and circuses, friend.
Old 10-16-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
But there's no harm in being glued to the tube for hours for a little vicarious experience every night

Is that really true ? i wonder -

{some] People are hopelessly addicted to gambling. It is not bad for everyone, but for some people, it wrecks their life. Its a bit hard to sort out and seperate whos ok with it, whos borderline, and who is a hopeless addict.

It would be silly and ridiculous to say that our environment, and the media, and news, and televsion are harmless - THEIR THE PRECISELY THE REASON FOR THINGS LIKE GAMBLING AND CIGARETTES AND ALCOHOL AND DRUGS, ETC. If it makes money for the government, yay for them - but too bad the government cant see that the money it makes from trash like cigarrettes, alcohol, and the lottery cant even NEARLY put a dent in the cost that it will take to treat the problems they create in the future.
Old 10-16-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My point was somewhat sarcastic--having people glued to the tv for hours each night, being more involved in either the laugh-tracked antics of a fictional family, or voyeuristically involving themselves in other people's lives via 'reality' tv is more harmless--for the government and the powers that be [any govt]. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
I don't think TV in itself is the reason 'for' addictions to gambling/alcohol/cigs/smoking; but I do agree tv and the constant barrage of images and concepts from the media do make them worse, and it takes a very strong person to totally resist.
And I wholeheartedly agree that the government is focused on short-term 'profits'.
Old 10-17-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be silly and ridiculous to say that our environment, and the media, and news, and televsion are harmless - THEIR THE PRECISELY THE REASON FOR THINGS LIKE GAMBLING AND CIGARETTES AND ALCOHOL AND DRUGS, ETC.
There was no gambling or cigarettes or alcohol prior to TV and the media?
Old 10-17-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
There was no gambling or cigarettes or alcohol prior to TV and the media?

there certainly was, but not nearly to the magnitude that there is in modern times (after TV)

Last edited by skiblet; 10-17-06 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-17-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there certainly was, but not nearly to the magnitude that there is in modern times (after TV)
You've got to be kidding. You think TV is responsible for an increase of alcohol and cigarette use. What is your proof of this?
Old 10-17-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it that.... or isn't it far more likely that all these things occurred in numbers far beyond what we know in the past.... and it wasn't until today that people actually talked about it?
Old 10-17-06, 09:57 AM
Stealth Moderator

Okay, so this thread isn't really about poker on TV but about how TV ruins people's lives. It's that whole life imitating art v. art imitating life debate. And we all know that the answer is the same as the chicken v. egg debate.