Reload this Page >

Finishing basement, need layout ideas and HT placement

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-10-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This winter I would like to start finishing our basement. I would like to make it an entertaining area. Card table, small bar. Plasma on the wall. Arcade machine (Mame), old school popcorn maker, dart board ect. Also would like to fit a HT in the space if possible. I have been going through my head how I could get it to work and cant come up with a solid layout. Below I pasted a schematic I made of the basement along with some pictures. I would like the HT on the back wall (the side with the AC) but am having second thoughts whether or not I can get it to fit and how to fit it in while not taking up too much of the basement and not closing off the HWH and AC too much. I dont want need a HUGE HT, just something that could seat 5 people or so. Cielings are 9Ft down but about 7.5 where the iron beam runs (drain and AC there too).

Am I asking for too much to be able to fit a theater and keep some nice entertaining space? Its not the end of the world if I cant get it to fit I do have a bonus room that I could always make a semi HT.

The red wall are walls that can be removed, the rest basically has to stay

Thanks
Jonathan

Last edited by habers; 10-10-06 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't we already do this once? I remember these pictures
Old 10-10-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Didn't we already do this once? I remember these pictures
No, we discussed generally how to finish the cinderblock walls. You get an apple for your good memory though
Old 10-11-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like you've got some good space there. If it is a dedicated home theater you won't need that much room. It just depends on the size of the screen you're hoping for. I'm about 10' away from a 55" screen in my family room. Perfect for movies. a little close for regular TV. The real challenge will be getting enough room for other activities. Card tables are easy because they can be put away. Things like pool tables and ping pong tables take up a lot of room when people want to play. That is what people usually underestimate.

I personally would use the top right hand corner of your diagram for the HT. Build storage in the back near the AC and use the "post" area for a card table or other activities. The dart board is easy as you only need 8'. USe that 13' area outside the AC room for that.
Old 10-11-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Jim.

What do you guys think about this layout? Also do you think its possible to move that support post down a few feet so it would reside in the wall?

Last edited by habers; 10-11-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by habers
Also do you think its possible to move that support post down a few feet so it would reside in the wall?
That's a perfectly awful idea.
Old 10-11-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's a perfectly awful idea.
Can you explain why? thanks
Old 10-11-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like that second layout.

How big is your screen? One easy way to create a HT setting is to build a small platform that can support a second couch. Gives you stadium seating like in a real movie theatre. I like that it is fully enclosed so it gives you total darkness.

As far as the post in the wall, you can set up a bar or shelves to minimize the look of that post coming out of nowhere.
Old 10-11-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by habers
Can you explain why? thanks
Simply put, without an engineer giving you an OK, I wouldn't do it. Even if you did, you'd have to disclose it if you ever sold the house and that might make people uneasy.
Old 10-11-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Simply put, without an engineer giving you an OK, I wouldn't do it. Even if you did, you'd have to disclose it if you ever sold the house and that might make people uneasy.
do you think I would have to disclose even if I got an engineer OK? I wouldnt do it without it getting looked at by a professional.
Old 10-11-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the second layout better as well. Looks like it won't have a lot of natural light (if any), which will be good for a projection.
Old 10-11-06, 02:57 PM

i would take that home theatre wall out & flush to the post.
Old 10-11-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do you guys think that this HT would be too small? (distance to screen ect.). I would loose a few inches studding out the walls

Old 10-11-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For a 100" screen, the recommended viewing distance is somewhere between 11' and 15', so it looks like you're OK.

Viewing Distance Calculator